Sauron

Ars Technica article on Amico

21 minutes ago, duiz said:

That's pretty bad I must say considering the response. But I was more curious about the second part. So is the footage we seen so far is not from Amico hardware? I know on other consoles you use the disclaimer saying that games are captured on settings similar to PS5 or whatever but I never saw this on Amico footage.

There have been no disclaimers like that. The only disclaimers I remember seeing are ones of it being WIP. If you look at the early footage Cloudy Mountain is shown with Xbox button inputs. Emoji Charades just had trailer footage lifted (Not sure how that relates if it does). These were both on the VIP announcement trailer.

It isn't surprising since a lot of the games are made in Unity which were developed on a PC.

Screenshot_20210817-065621_YouTube.thumb.jpg.8bdd4fb3635f839590abc5b250b1b50e.jpgScreenshot_20210817-065417_YouTube.thumb.jpg.9e56c2fc8341cc236b0d1c8bdc6edbc2.jpg

58 minutes ago, duiz said:

That's pretty bad I must say considering the response. But I was more curious about the second part. So is the footage we seen so far is not from Amico hardware? I know on other consoles you use the disclaimer saying that games are captured on settings similar to PS5 or whatever but I never saw this on Amico footage.

Early on, developers didn't even have Amico dev kits.  There was a video of about twenty different games where they specifically said all but one (first video of Rigid Force Redux) was running off of an Amico, if I'm remembering correctly.  The first video of Space Strikers was running on a PC, people complained loudly even though they said it in the video.  All the other live game play videos, and they've shown well over a dozen, that includes Rigid Force Redux and Space Strikers are running off an Amico.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, mr_me said:

Early on, developers didn't even have Amico dev kits.  There was a video of about twenty different games where they specifically said all but one (first video of Rigid Force Redux) was running off of an Amico, if I'm remembering correctly.  The first video of Space Strikers was running on a PC, people complained loudly even though they said it in the video.  All the other live game play videos, and they've shown well over a dozen, that includes Rigid Force Redux and Space Strikers are running off an Amico.

Was the disclaimer on the video?

Yes, the guys doing the demo said it in the same video.

Edited by mr_me

15 minutes ago, mr_me said:

Yes, the guys doing the demo said it in the same video.

Ridged Force Redux had the disclaimer?

Rigid Force Redux wasn't the live demo, that was Space Strikers.  Rigid Force Redux was a short clip in a video with about twenty other Amico games.  As already pointed out there is a note about the games being "in development for Amico" in the description of that video.  Since then both games have been played live on Amico hardware.

Edited by mr_me
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, mr_me said:

Rigid Force Redux wasn't a live demo, that was Space Strikers.  Rigid Force Redux was a short clip in a video with about twenty other Amico games.  As already pointed out there is a note about the games being "in development for Amico" in the description of that video.

That isn't a disclaimer that the footage of it is coming not from Amico hardware.

No, it's a warning that says the final game might be different than what you're seeing.

Edited by mr_me

2 minutes ago, mr_me said:

No, it's a disclaimer that says the final game might be different than what you're seeing.

Screenshot_20210817-075139_YouTube.thumb.jpg.08ec98ba3c50e075115d933311204d22.jpg

Intellivision gameplay update -> Switch footage. There is no disclaimer. If there is, and I'm missing it, please point me to it and show it.

Are you sure it's not PC or Xbox.  Doesn't matter, I believe that's the one game shown in that video that was not running on Amico, if I'm remembering correctly.  It's running on Amico now and at the time it probably was in the process of being ported to Amico as the description says "in development".

1 hour ago, mr_me said:

Are you sure it's not PC or Xbox.  Doesn't matter, I believe that's the one game shown in that video that was not running on Amico, if I'm remembering correctly.  It's running on Amico now and at the time it probably was in the process of being ported to Amico as the description says "in development".

Running on it now has nothing to do with the misinformation of it being an Amico demo or WIP. So you are admitting no disclaimer. And that isn't "in development" footage either. It's final footage from a different platform that isn't Amico. Which also means it isn't an Amico WIP, nor early gameplay demo.

You can move the goalpost saying it works on there now but that has nothing to do with what we were talking about.

Screenshot_20210817-101929_YouTube.thumb.jpg.3304d3dc67b25191a99fcd1d528ca949.jpg

Remember this is what started the discussion.20210817_102718.thumb.jpg.8ff7bd1161eb9fd3479c9673825cad7d.jpg

I'm not admitting anything, It's not my game or my video.  I'm telling you the facts, I'm the one telling you it's the one game out of thirty Amico games shown in that video that they said was not running on an Amico.  They say the other twenty-nine were running on Amico hardware, if I'm remembering correctly.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, mr_me said:

I'm not admitting anything, It's not my game or my video.  I'm telling you the facts, I'm the one telling you it's the one game out of thirty Amico games shown in that video that they said was not running on an Amico.  They say the other twenty-nine were running on Amico hardware, if I'm remembering correctly.

So the fact is there was no disclaimer then. Doesn't matter if it is one or twenty. You are still moving the goal post.

Emoji Charades wasn't being shown on Amico either. It was footage from this. 

• Like 1

What goal post? What are you getting at?  This is stuff we already know.

41 minutes ago, mr_me said:

What goal post? What are you getting at?  This is stuff we already know.

Where there disclaimers that any footage shown was not running on Amico hardware?

Yes

Or

No

Before you say well they run on Amico now! Remember that isn't the question. It is strictly, have there been any disclaimers specifically saying any of the sizzle reels is NOT footage on spec with Amico. That means any footage, from any video they have put out. Not just cherry picking now. Note saying work in progress demo also suggests the demos are running on Amico and are not a disclaimer saying footage shown is running on PC, Switch, etc.

I already said "no" a few comments back.  What are you getting at?

Edited by mr_me

Pretty dishonest. I mean I'm used to the whole 'screen shots are from the Commodore Amiga' in tiny type near the bottom of the ad,but still.......

• Like 1

Yeah in the old days screen shots were early artist renderings a lot of times.

23 minutes ago, Parker77 said:

Pretty dishonest. I mean I'm used to the whole 'screen shots are from the Commodore Amiga' in tiny type near the bottom of the ad,but still.......

I think that is what that comment from Sam is getting at. How much was it, "for illustrative purposes" until they did get it working on Amico hardware.

They were originally going to do an Rtype remake.  Rigid Force on Amico first showed up not long before that video.  It probably caused the Rtype game to get shelved as porting an existing game would be faster, freeing up resources for other games.

Edited by mr_me

Tbh the games shown so far look like they could run on just about anything from the last 5-10 years, so not sure it's really a big deal, even if the footage really is from some dev PC and not Amico itself.

13 minutes ago, youxia said:

Tbh the games shown so far look like they could run on just about anything from the last 5-10 years, so not sure it's really a big deal, even if the footage really is from some dev PC and not Amico itself.

Could be similar to the J Allard thing in the SEC link I left earlier today. I have no idea if it would be a problem to use not actual game footage for investor pitches, or it was used at all.

Edited by MrBeefy
TYPO

45 minutes ago, mr_me said:

They were originally going to do an Rtype remake.  Rigid Force on Amico first showed up not long before that video.  It probably caused the Rtype game to get shelved as porting an existing game would be faster, freeing up resources for other games.

And Rigid Force was made by a German studio, so that means more grant money!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/13/2021 at 10:51 PM, Papy said:

It's very difficult to say since I have very few info on the games, but I'm guessing the one that will be the most successful at launch is Brain Duel. I believe having Kawashima associated with this project is a mistake, but if Intellivision makes this game correctly, then it could become the next Wii Sports.

Let me butt in here to mention that developing a game with the success of Wii Sports is a once-in-a-generation kind of thing, and the factors that went into it being such a success are nearly impossible to replicate. It was clear from the first Wii unveil that the Wii was going to be a mega-hit, because the controller matched with Wii Sports was a fresh idea that had only really been tried with some success in arcades prior to that. That's all old hat now, and no one outside of the INTV fanbase seems all that interested in having mini-WiiU controllers. 

If the Amico had a Wii Sports-like game already, then everyone would know it by now because it would be driving millions of people towards wanting the console already which is what happened in the time between the Wii's E3 reveal and the console's launch. Not sure if you recall or were around the scene back then, but the hype was massive, arguably bigger than anything Nintendo had done since SMB3. 

That all said, it's still important to have at least one killer app for your game console, then the more the merrier since that increases the spread of potential buyers. The only thing that seems to be generating that kind of interest is Earthworm Jim so far (and to a lesser extent Moon Patrol), although we've seen too little about that for any hype train to leave the station (I also don't think that EJ is that big of an IP to really drive millions of gamers to the console, but it's got more name recognition than anything else).

Having said this, I agree that for now the list of games is rather "meh". There are far too many "retro-reimagined" games. More importantly, not having a modern match-3 game or not having a game like The Sims is a major flaw. If Intellivision does not produce more games for women very rapidly, then there will never be an Amico 2.

Seems to me that they think that stuff like Bomb Squad and Cornhole fit that bill. It shouldn't be too difficult for them to come up with some kind of Match-3 games though - the Unity Asset store has a ton of cheap Match-3 dev kits and assets that can be used to throw together any kind of generic match-3 game you like. 

• Like 3

On 8/17/2021 at 3:28 PM, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Let me butt in here to mention that developing a game with the success of Wii Sports is a once-in-a-generation kind of thing, and the factors that went into it being such a success are nearly impossible to replicate. It was clear from the first Wii unveil that the Wii was going to be a mega-hit, because the controller matched with Wii Sports was a fresh idea that had only really been tried with some success in arcades prior to that. That's all old hat now, and no one outside of the INTV fanbase seems all that interested in having mini-WiiU controllers. 

If the Amico had a Wii Sports-like game already, then everyone would know it by now because it would be driving millions of people towards wanting the console already which is what happened in the time between the Wii's E3 reveal and the console's launch. Not sure if you recall or were around the scene back then, but the hype was massive, arguably bigger than anything Nintendo had done since SMB3. 

That all said, it's still important to have at least one killer app for your game console, then the more the merrier since that increases the spread of potential buyers. The only thing that seems to be generating that kind of interest is Earthworm Jim so far (and to a lesser extent Moon Patrol), although we've seen too little about that for any hype train to leave the station (I also don't think that EJ is that big of an IP to really drive millions of gamers to the console, but it's got more name recognition than anything else).

Seems to me that they think that stuff like Bomb Squad and Cornhole fit that bill. It shouldn't be too difficult for them to come up with some kind of Match-3 games though - the Unity Asset store has a ton of cheap Match-3 dev kits and assets that can be used to throw together any kind of generic match-3 game you like. 

I think if any of the games were killer apps it would spread more than it currently has. I think EWJ would move some consoles but isn't that huge either. It still is a game appealing to retro enthusiasts. 

Cornhole is still the only one resembling a Wii Sports game. The pack ins don't seem to match the target market goal. I think they need more Wii Sports like games as the pack ins. The weak hardware can still be good if they can pump out the strong games.

• Like 2