Sauron

Ars Technica article on Amico

EWJ is such a big deal that the original is part of a 15 quid Evercade cart. It was average even back then, I think the pull of the name has been wildly over estimated.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Parker77 said:

EWJ is such a big deal that the original is part of a 15 quid Evercade cart. It was average even back then, I think the pull of the name has been wildly over estimated.

It was a middle-tier game for when you got tired of Mario or Sonic.  Solid, but not groundbreaking.

For Amico, it's a case of being the best of what they have.  I feel like they've tried to make several of their games Flagship titles (Evel Kineval, Cornhole) and EWJ is the closest that any of them have come to "clicking" with the public.

It's the rumor that it won't be a platformer that has me confused.  If you're going to bank on a name, at least deliver what that name is known for.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, godslabrat said:

It was a middle-tier game for when you got tired of Mario or Sonic

And it was for PC. However, while I admire its graphics, I never got into it. Aladdin, Jazz the Jackrabbit or even Prince of Persia were much more playable for me.

2 hours ago, godslabrat said:

It was a middle-tier game for when you got tired of Mario or Sonic.  Solid, but not groundbreaking.

For Amico, it's a case of being the best of what they have.  I feel like they've tried to make several of their games Flagship titles (Evel Kineval, Cornhole) and EWJ is the closest that any of them have come to "clicking" with the public.

It's the rumor that it won't be a platformer that has me confused.  If you're going to bank on a name, at least deliver what that name is known for.

Really? That's quite.... puzzling.

Yup, agreed with all of you. EWJ just the best that Amico has when it comes to name recognition. If it isn't a platformer though...eesh. Never mind. That'll end up becoming one of the dumbest mistakes in gaming history. 

Skiing looks kinda fun, but revolutionary? Nah.  

Maybe I missed it, but have they shown footage of all the pack-in games, or are they still sitting on some of it? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

EWJ just the best that Amico has when it comes to name recognition.

Pretty sure that it's actually R-Type. Hopefully they get around to developing that soon, as I'm very much looking forward to it.

2 hours ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Yup, agreed with all of you. EWJ just the best that Amico has when it comes to name recognition. If it isn't a platformer though...eesh. Never mind. That'll end up becoming one of the dumbest mistakes in gaming history. 

Skiing looks kinda fun, but revolutionary? Nah.  

Maybe I missed it, but have they shown footage of all the pack-in games, or are they still sitting on some of it? 

They are sitting on the 6th game which is likely Back Talk Party.

15 hours ago, godslabrat said:

That's just a rumour that it won't be a platformer.  It wasn't actually said.  Earthworm Jim is a title that would appeal to a certain demographic and not others.  Like any of their games, if they make a great game doesn't matter the name it can appeal to all.

5 minutes ago, mr_me said:

That's just a rumour that it won't be a platformer.  It wasn't actually said.  

Are you saying Tommy Tallarico was wrong?

127742D0-61E5-4392-9AEB-52BEDFD9D531.thumb.png.68be8b4b0dd44d253b3691904295a282.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, mr_me said:

Yeah I remember he said not to assume anything.

He said calling EWJ a platformer was a wrong assumption.  He specifically used the word "wrong".

• Like 1

I guess it meant it's not just a platformer and they plan to add a lot of mini games making use of the controller. But I suspect it was mostly mind games from Tommy as usual. It wouldn't be the first time he claimed something and it ended up being otherwise. ;)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, godslabrat said:

He said calling EWJ a platformer was a wrong assumption.  He specifically used the word "wrong".

Yes, I remembered it wrong.  But if you go by what he said, "2D side scrolling platform game", it doesn't rule out other types of platformers.  But like Roots.genoa said, that can change.  In Feb 2020, I doubt they did much design work on the game.  That test animation, which looks like a scrolling platformer came out in August 2020.  The animation with objects in the foreground and background looks like 2D art on a 3D field.

5 hours ago, mr_me said:

Yes, I remembered it wrong.  But if you go by what he said, "2D side scrolling platform game", it doesn't rule out other types of platformers.  But like Roots.genoa said, that can change.  In Feb 2020, I doubt they did much design work on the game.  That test animation, which looks like a scrolling platformer came out in August 2020.  The animation with objects in the foreground and background looks like 2D art on a 3D field.

The test animation could easily turn into something like wandering around an area to choose your mini-game, a lot of games have done that sort of thing in the past.

While they could try and radically change it to broaden appeal, it'll have to be something amazing to do so, on the level that Nintendo manages to do with their Mario games. That said, they still generally stick to the core (side-scrolling platformer) when it comes to primary Mario games, excepting the occasional experiment here and there. Would a "Dr. Earthworm Jim" or "Paper EJW RPG" departure like that work? Perhaps, but they've already set expectations that it's going to be a new adventure in platforming (99% of people looking forward to it likely didn't see what Tommy wrote on a forum among mountains of text), so screwing with that to subvert expectations often ends up in train wrecking a franchise.

Rian Johnson Thumbs Up GIF - Rian Johnson Thumbs Up Good Job GIFs

If true, it's too bad - IMO Finnegan Fox looks very 'meh' so a proper EJW is the kind of game that the platform could use to get some positive attention.

Edited by Shaggy the Atarian
  • Like 3

If they are planning some major gameplay/style changes for EWJ, then it really does not bode well for this game since it'd be most likely be a serious downgrade, and people who are actualy aware of what EWJ is (ie old farts like us) want the 2D platformer. And that's regardless of all the other worrying factors (ie "is it actually in production?").

• Like 3

I doubt they've planned much of anything with EWJ yet, they're all busy trying to get the console and launch library ready.

7 minutes ago, mr_me said:

I doubt they've planned much of anything with EWJ yet, they're all busy trying to get the console and launch library ready.

Well they were planning EWJ in this video May 4, 2019 well over 2 years ago so that would indicate to me that they have been actively working on it since.

You would think by now it would be nearly complete. Would make zero sense otherwise.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mr_me said:

That's just a rumour that it won't be a platformer.  It wasn't actually said. 

not a rumor, it is clearly stated here that they are not making an EWJ platformer since it would be too much work and are aiming for a party game, who knows maybe they will shock everyone and make it the 6th pack in game to save the day

• Thanks 1

A multiplayer Earthworm Jim game wouldn't necessarily mean a party game.  Or did someone say it will be party game.

• Confused 1

I think you may be wrongly assuming that Earthworm Jim is going to be a 2D side scrolling platform game using our 64 position d-pad...

I don't understand that remark. Finnigan Fox is a pure 2D side-scrolling platformer and seems to work fine with the controller. Just because the d-pad supports 64 directions shouldn't make it any less suitable for platformers, it's basically mimicking an analog stick.

Deviating too far from the original working formula is what led to catastrophic reviews and a crazy development cycle for EWJ 3, and so many odd spin-off games of other classic series.

• Like 2