IGNORED

Where can I buy an Atari 1050 replacement power supply?

When you say it died, what happened, inside the brick, it's just a stepdown transformer usually with an internal fuse.

Easy enough job to open it up and check the fuse, also due to age, sometime the cables break internally usually near

the "brick", again not too hard to diagnose and repair, I had an 800 one fail this way back in the 80's, still working today.

Edit: Had a look, the current seems to be the problem, the original is 9VAC 3A, the best I've seen is 2A

Edited by TGB1718
Update

It just stopped working. It makes no buzzing noise like it used to. Now after the horror stories I have read about these vintage power supplies, I really would feel much more comfortable with a new PSU.

I've found US versions, and UK versions, but for some strange reason no continental European ones.

I would suspect it's just the fuse or a break in the cable, really easy fix.

If you purchase a modern equivalent, internally it will be exactly the same thing, a step down transformer, no

need for any circuitry, it's as simple as it gets and most of the time totally reliable.

If it had "smoked" I would say it's probably dead, but no smoke and I think it's fixable.

The "no buzz" sounds like there's no power getting to the primary of the transformer, did you check the fuse

in the mains plug ?

13 minutes ago, AtariNostalgia said:

One seems to be in Canada, the other in the U.S.

B&C is mostly out of business - Bruce still does a little bit on eBay I think but that’s about it. Best Electronics is in California - not sure he’ll ship to Greece or not. 

That said, it is just 9VAC. There are modern 9VAC supplies available from electronics suppliers. If you swap the original 7805 and 7812 linear voltage regulators inside the drive with modern switching voltage regulators, you’ll drop the power requirement down substantially, and the drive will run much cooler. 

2 minutes ago, xrbrevin said:

they can be obtained via amazon if you have the time to root around and compare specs:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00F5VULA8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I saw that and similar, unfortunately they are rated 2A and the 1050 is 3A, seems hard to find a 3A one.

1 minute ago, TGB1718 said:

I saw that and similar, unfortunately they are rated 2A and the 1050 is 3A, seems hard to find a 3A one.

I don’t think the 1050 actually pulls that much though, does it? I need to put one of mine on my bench supply and see.

But in any case, as I pointed out above, if you replace the vintage linear VRs with modern switching versions, the total power draw will drop a LOT. 

1 minute ago, DrVenkman said:

But in any case, as I pointed out above, if you replace the vintage linear VRs with modern switching versions, the total power draw will drop a LOT. 

Are those things still expensive, last time I looked they were silly prices compared to the old linear ones.

6 minutes ago, TGB1718 said:

Are those things still expensive, last time I looked they were silly prices compared to the old linear ones.

$5-6 each, so certainly not as cheap as the commodity 7805s, but much more efficient and much, much cooler.

The Rock Power NT8 EU is known to work and despite only rated at 2.1A was recommended by several people at the Abbuc Forum. I have one myself, no problem with my Happy 1050 and XF 551. It is meant to be used with certain guitar amps, so look for it at shops that carry musical equipment.

IMG_4422.JPG

Edited by Dinadan67
  • Like 4

This is for a 1050? There are no components in a 1050 supply other than a fuse and a transformer. No regulators...

If a transformer is 'buzzing', it means the core laminates are loose. Eventually, the insulation (lacquer) will fail and the windings will short. Remove the fuse for a spare and save the cables.

110vac power supplies are very common. They output 9vac @ 3.4a. You need 220vac. I have a step up/down transformer that I use on 220v devices (mainly a 1029). It came with a variety of connectors.

Bob

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AtariNostalgia said:

I would prefer a new replacement not an original.

There's hardly a better (and cleaner, on the scope) than the original one.

As I measured on my own along (during live tests) before, the 1050 can suck north of 30watts of power, which means you need a supply capable of handling at least 40watts, to be safe.

Good luck!

• Like 1

@AtariNostalgia

I have a few 1050 220V PS that I originally brought from France.

You'd have to pay for shipping from Los Angeles to Greece.

Not sure it's worth the money if you can fix yours as mentioned above.

Those power supplies are quite heavy.

Edited by abbotkinneydude
grammar
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, abbotkinneydude said:

@AtariNostalgia

I have a few 1050 220V PS that I originally brought from France.

You'd have to pay for shipping from Los Angeles to Greece.

Not sure it's worth the money if you can fix yours as mentioned above.

Those power supplies are quite heavy.

Thank you for your very generous offer! But you are right, the weight of those things and the taxes make it non feasible.

Thanks!!

Just saw a 2A AC ? power supply on Amazon however the description is a bit misleading:-

If it's AC/AC how can it be a "Regulated Linear Power Supply"

Regulated Linear is a DC power supply.

Power Supply Replacement for Line 6 Variax 700 9V Ac Adapter
Brand: Effects Pedal Power Supplies

Price:    £8.49

9v AC/AC 2000mA Regulated Linear Power Supply
Zero Hum, Noise Free Power Supply
Designed for Musical Equipment
Correct tip connection size