IGNORED

Programming Challenge Competition

Vorticon

11 hours ago, unhuman said:

How much memory does your wrapper use?  things looking very tight for me.

I'm not done with it yet. I'll let you know within the next few days.

I also just realized I did not emphasize an important fact: after returning from subroutine 10000, you MUST read MX and MY and use these values as your current mouse coordinates. In other words, your mouse's physical location might change (think portals). This should not have an impact on your algorithms but does make the maze design more interesting and scanning proof.

Edited by Vorticon
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, unhuman said:

I'm curious about the portals...  Do they function the same both ways?  It will definitely affect my algorithm.  I don't want to mention why, however...

A portal has 2 interconnected gates, so entering one gate will transport you to the other and it's bi-directional. Also the portals will be invisible to your mouse. As far as it's concerned, it would be just another empty space...

Edited by Vorticon
  • Like 2

Over the weekend, I was able to convert my algorithm from recursive to a loop.  It was pretty simple, actually.  Accounting for the Portals (I don't think it's a no-op) will be my next fun bit.   After that, I've got to convert to BASIC.  Pretty concerned about the tight deadline, but fun being had.

Edited by unhuman
  • Like 1

I have not yet finished my algorithm, let alone converted it to BASIC. 

Edit: Playing with Portals right now.  Wholesale refactor.

Edit 2: Maybe I'm overthinking how Portals work...  Is there just one opening by a portal or could there be multiple entries to a portal?    If there's only 1 path, I could probably take (almost) all of my special handling out, like you inferred earlier.  I figured it could be like a black hole, where there could be (up to) 4 different paths into and out of it... 

Edited by unhuman

I am truly disappointed this fell apart.  I will finish my Java implementation and share what I had, but I don't think I'll target TI BASIC "for fun".  Never got an answer for the portal entries / exits question, which was in the 11th hour anyway....  I struggled with how to manage that in a clean way if there were multiples.

11 hours ago, unhuman said:

I am truly disappointed this fell apart.  I will finish my Java implementation and share what I had, but I don't think I'll target TI BASIC "for fun".  Never got an answer for the portal entries / exits question, which was in the 11th hour anyway....  I struggled with how to manage that in a clean way if there were multiples.

I thought I did answer your questions. Apologies if that was not clear... 

Interesting idea for the competition, having a sample map of a maze (same rules but different maze obviously) would probably have answered many of the questions and helped to get participation up. I was thinking to participate as a fun project, but forgot when the submissions were due...

57 minutes ago, speccery said:

Interesting idea for the competition, having a sample map of a maze (same rules but different maze obviously) would probably have answered many of the questions and helped to get participation up. I was thinking to participate as a fun project, but forgot when the submissions were due...

In retrospect that would indeed have been helpful. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, oddemann said:

Set a new deadline, summer is over and maybe more people will have time now?

Not so sure. This is a very specific type of challenge and not a game to boot, so it will appeal to only a handful here. It's also a rather difficult problem.

Instead of setting a new deadline, I'll let those willing to play with it submit an entry at their leisure, and if I have enough entries (at least a couple) by early Fall, I'll pit them against each other and see who comes out on top. I am back on service next week then I will be out of country for the following 3 weeks, so we'll see by then :)

• Like 1

On 8/5/2021 at 1:51 PM, Vorticon said:

Well that was a resounding success! Not a single entry submitted! ?

Alright, moving on...

Sorry, but my algorithm would not work with portals. I had no good idea to replace it and continued with my other projects. 

Wow.  Took me a bit to find the second + (top right).  The multiple entries to the portals would've blown away my planned algorithm.  I also made an incorrect assumption as to where "If you know where the exterior wall is"...  That was a bit misleading.  I was really thinking along the non-traditional way.

I'll probably just go back to my recursive Java version and complete that.