IGNORED

Error: EFI USB Device (USB) boot failed

Allpaul

Every time I unplug my USB flash drive with my Windows 10 install to boot back into Atari OS, I get the error EFI USB Device (USB) boot failed. If I hold the power button and restart, it boots into Atari OS just fine.

Anyone else experiencing this? Wondering about possible fixes.

6903E3F4-7F80-480E-AB07-5EAE2F974635.jpeg

1 hour ago, Allpaul said:

Every time I unplug my USB flash drive with my Windows 10 install to boot back into Atari OS, I get the error EFI USB Device (USB) boot failed. If I hold the power button and restart, it boots into Atari OS just fine.

Anyone else experiencing this? Wondering about possible fixes.

6903E3F4-7F80-480E-AB07-5EAE2F974635.jpeg

I get the exact same thing when I unplug mine also, no idea how to fix it unfortunately. I normally just hit ok and the Atari OS boots up just fine but I admit it’s a little bit annoying having to grab the mouse to ok it especially if you’ve just sat down and it’s at the other end of the room lol. I think it’s just the VCS checking for the drive not realising it’s been unplugged then it boots to the error. 

I've just my system BIOS updated on the VCS. I can confirm that it does look like Atari has taken out EFI booting via the USB slot - it won't accept anything.

But you can still enter the BIOS still using the most recent password. Checking the Boot section of the BIOS menus has yielded the EFI drive selections to be locked.

However not to despair, I've found a way in! You can still boot the EFI by tricking the EFI boot manager. What you do is leaving your USB drive unplugged press ESC to enter the initial BIOS screen, when the screen appears plug in your USB device, then select the boot manager. That will bypass the block.

• Thanks 1