IGNORED

Atari 5200 2-port rolling gray screen...help?

Wyluli Wolf

I have a two port Atari 5200 console.  It's in really nice shape (like new).  It's been working fine.  Its been several months since I last played it.  Today I fired it up and I now have a garbled gray screen.  You can make out a little bit of the game picture, so it's not all static.

I've always had the console connected to a CRT television via the coaxial cable (channel 3).

I did try adjusting the color adjustment pot, but it made no difference.  I'll use a test cart to recalibrate if I can get it back up and running proper.

Any idea on where I should start with troubleshooting? 

Thanks

-Wolf

20210630_172039.jpg

20210630_172040.jpg

20210630_172111.jpg

Check the channel switch on the console, it may be (inadvertently) set on channel 2 rather than 3 so try that, you may also want to flip between channels 2 and 3 on the TV itself to see if I'm right or not, but it just might simply be that, no sense of your unit going out on you for (what appears to be) no reason at all.

Edited by BIGHMW

1 hour ago, BIGHMW said:

Check the channel switch on the console, it may be (inadvertently) set on channel 2 rather than 3 so try that, you may also want to flip between channels 2 and 3 on the TV itself to see if I'm right or not, but it just might simply be that, no sense of your unit going out on you for (what appears to be) no reason at all.

Gave that a try and no joy.  :(

17 hours ago, Wyluli Wolf said:

Appears that the power supply is the culprit.  

Thanks!

Did you try a different one and it works? Curious as your picture does show the system powering on and as you stated we can kinda see the game through the mess.