IGNORED

Can you identify this cartridge? Thanks.

a6502

I don’t have the cart in hands, but I believe there is no ROM involved.

Somehow it tricks the computer to reset using the cartridge pin connector.
I’m sure a search for coldstart here in the forum will reveal more accurate information. 

Jumpstart by Logic One

The Jumpstart Module is a cartridge with a small push button on the top. Although it plugs into the cartridge slot, it uses no memory. The module works as advertised. You simply hold down that button and press [RESET]. It's more convenient on the 800XL than the XE because of the location of the cartridge slots. Unfortunately, you can't use the Jumpstart Module with other cartridges.

The Jumpstart Module works by telling the OS that a cartridge has been inserted. That forces a coldstart, but it can also confuse the computer about the cartridge status. Sometimes this causes a problem and you must press [RESET] again. To prevent confusion, I find that an always reliable method is to press [RESET] a second time (without the Jumpstart switch) as soon as the disk starts to spin.

The Jumpstart Module is not exactly the same as a hardware generated coldstart. The Jumpstart Module uses the OS to reset the computer. In a very severe program crash, the OS might not be able to regain control. A true hardware reset, like turning the computer off, then on again, will always reset the computer.

https://www.atarimagazines.com/v7n9/productreviews.html

On XL/XE there's a connection from the RD5 line on the cartridge to TRIG3 - the OS sets GINTLK Ram shadow to reflect the cartridge status on coldstart.

On a warmstart and every VBlank a comparison is performed.

If it's different in VBlank, the OS will either instantly coldstart or go into a wait loop depending on revision (loop on later ones).

If it's different on warmstart, the computer will do a coldstart.

Where you can get problems is if you have the older rev - the coldstart initiates and you release the button, so the cartridge state reverses again.

The VBlank comparison only takes place if CRITIC is clear which isn't the case if SIO operations are occurring, so that would account for problematic operation.

So, inside the cartridge - probably very little to no hardware.  Maybe a component or 2 or 3 to stop power spikes or provide some sort of debounce but probably no more.

A worthwhile modification to such a device might be to add a memory write protect switch which would allow loading unmodified Roms into Ram and running them without having to remove any self-destruct copy protection code.

Edited by Rybags
  • Like 3

On 7/1/2021 at 8:07 PM, DavidMil said:

I would still like to see what is inside of that cartridge.

DavidMil

me too @DavidMil

I even asked the seller if he would sell only that cartridge, but looks like he sold the whole lot already $$$ 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/373616337347?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&nma=true&si=gnhEl1mYVYmJo%2FaSfL%2BN33C9lZg%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc