IGNORED

Can someone please port 8-bit Asteroids to the 5200 so we can have one that actually works?

BIGHMW

I was just wondering if anyone out there wanted to do a little favor that would certainly help me make the 5200 my only sysem if it cam down to only one, I have been frustrated with the suspect control of the Todd Frye 1982 port of Asteroids for the 5200 (erratic controls on it, something no other Asteroids-type game has an issue with) and I feel that if someone only ported to 8-bit version of Asteroids over to it instead (it has much better control, as I have played both, and with both digital and analog controls on each), that it would indeed solve the problem that this much-maligned game has had, after all it was supposed to have been the original pack-in game for the 5200 instead of Super Breakout, and Asteroids was even cataloged as to have been the first port for the 5200 (number CX5201)

All other Asteroids-type games for the 5200 work fine (Star Island, Megaoids, Delta Space Arena, Meteorites, and Rasteroids) except for it, hopefully someone can port the 8-bit version over and I will thanks them greatly for doing so.

here are the two ports, the Todd Frye 1982 5200 (.bin) version and also the original 8-bit (.xex) version in which I'm hoping that someone can port over to the 5200 in order to replace it. Controls are the same setup on both so it shouldn'e be much of a problem except for placing the option and select menus to the # and * keys but other than that that's about it. The 5200 library would just not be complete without it. I'm sure there just might be a lot of 5200 Asteroids fans if someone does port it over, it's too good of a game to pass up and let go to waste. Thanks :). Ray Jackson

Asteroids.xex Asteroids.bin

16 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

Not worth it, play it on another system.

Maybe you might think that but I don't, I think it can be done, besides I don't want to have to play it on another system, especially when it just simply needs a re-port of it so it'll actually work properly.

12 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

Anything can be done, but it isn't worth it.

Asteroids is highly underrated and just simply needs a re-port with more stable control, I just got through playing the 5200 port and have to do a little herky jerky action with the stick in order to stabilize it but a re-port of it sure would help recify that problem as on the current 5200 port every time you lose a ship you have to do the whole herky jerky thing all over again and sometimes that might involve the up/down control between thrust and shields and that could be costly when it comes to losing that ship too.

20 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

Anything can be done, but it isn't worth it.

All it needs is a simple re-port.  When that is done, we can wait another week or two for the next 5200 to 8-bit port request.  It's like clockwork.

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, rayik said:

Play Meteorites. Released game back in the day.  Its here on AA:  https://atariage.com/software_page.php?SoftwareLabelID=636

I already have Meteorites for the 5200 but what's wrong with having both, as for @Stephen, i already have the 400/800 conversion, it's in my Homesoft collection and I'll post it up for you when I fire up my laptop as I am currently responding to this post on my tablet as I am writing this.

Edited by BIGHMW

3 minutes ago, MIKE5200 said:

It's the player choice i guess, for me is the Arcade version! Rasteroids and Meteorites is the best ports!

Speaking of Rasteroids is there (finally) a finished version of it out and if so where do I find it, as I only have the demo version of it.

9 hours ago, BIGHMW said:

I was just wondering if anyone out there wanted to do a little favor that would certainly help me make the 5200 my only sysem if it cam down to only one, I have been frustrated with the suspect control of the Todd Frye 1982 port of Asteroids for the 5200 (erratic controls on it, something no other Asteroids-type game has an issue with) and I feel that if someone only ported to 8-bit version of Asteroids over to it instead (it has much better control, as I have played both, and with both digital and analog controls on each), that it would indeed solve the problem that this much-maligned game has had, after all it was supposed to have been the original pack-in game for the 5200 instead of Super Breakout, and Asteroids was even cataloged as to have been the first port for the 5200 (number CX5201)

All other Asteroids-type games for the 5200 work fine (Star Island, Megaoids, Delta Space Arena, Meteorites, and Rasteroids) except for it, hopefully someone can port the 8-bit version over and I will thanks them greatly for doing so.

here are the two ports, the Todd Frye 1982 5200 (.bin) version and also the original 8-bit (.xex) version in which I'm hoping that someone can port over to the 5200 in order to replace it. Controls are the same setup on both so it shouldn'e be much of a problem except for placing the option and select menus to the # and * keys but other than that that's about it. The 5200 library would just not be complete without it. I'm sure there just might be a lot of 5200 Asteroids fans if someone does port it over, it's too good of a game to pass up and let go to waste. Thanks :). Ray Jackson

Asteroids.xex 8.07 kB · 1 download Asteroids.bin 16 kB · 1 download

So much for your wish list threads. I don't know how many times you've asked programmers to work on asteroids. 

Screenshot_20210701-103540.png

Edited by phuzaxeman
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, phuzaxeman said:

So much for your wish list threads. I don't know how many times you've asked programmers to work on asteroids. 

Screenshot_20210701-103540.png

Yes I did say that, but that was referring only to games that have not been originally ported to it already, titles like Food Fight, WarGames and Arkanoid for instance.

The thing was is that this game WAS originally ported to the 5200 except it was botched when it was first done, all I want to see happen is to have it done right, albeit almost 40 years later. 

In other words to conclude my case I just want to see it fixed so it will finally, work properly, it was ported, so let's do it right this time.

Edited by BIGHMW
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Cool - so you won't ask for any more ports until you ask for the next port.

All I want is for Asteroids to be fixed and that's it. Period. Get it done right.

As far as ports go we'll just not ask for any conversions of titles that weren't originally available for it in the first place.

22 minutes ago, BIGHMW said:

All I want is for Asteroids to be fixed and that's it. Period. Get it done right.

As far as ports go we'll just not ask for any conversions of titles that weren't originally available for it in the first place.

But your title says, "Can someone please port 8-bit Asteroids to the 5200" 

But you said before, "... I'll just play games on whatever systems they are originally ported onto, and refrain from the 'wish list' threads..." 

You contradict yourself and started a new wish list thread asking for programmers to meet your requests on Asteroids. 

Edited by phuzaxeman
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, phuzaxeman said:

But your title says, "Can someone please port 8-bit Asteroids to the 5200" 

But you said before, "... I'll just play games on whatever systems they are originally ported onto, and refrain from the 'wish list' threads..." 

You contradict yourself and started a new wish list thread asking for programmers to meet your requests on Asteroids. 

Yes I know, but I also know that since it was originally an 8-bit conversion when it was first put out in 1982 and since it wasn't done right the first time that's why I've been asking for what simply amounts to nothing more than a simple redo of it so it gets done right albeit the second time around.

Now as far as asking for other conversions yes I have refrained from that altogether, plus we all know that not all titles can be transferred due to the lack of RAM in the 5200, but I didn't get the XEGS simply to play Asteroids on it, I got it for the other titles that can't be converted, like the more powerful ones, like Food Fight, WarGames, Albert, and Arkanoid for instance, those we all know only a true 8-bit can run.

Edited by BIGHMW

19 minutes ago, BIGHMW said:

Yes I know, but I also know that since it was originally an 8-bit conversion when it was first put out in 1982 and since it wasn't done right the first time that's why I've been asking for what simply amounts to nothing more than a simple redo of it so it gets done right albeit the second time around.

Now as far as asking for other conversions yes I have refrained from that altogether, plus we all know that not all titles can be transferred due to the lack of RAM in the 5200, but I didn't get the XEGS simply to play Asteroids on it, I got it for the other titles that can't be converted, like the more powerful ones, like Food Fight, WarGames, Albert, and Arkanoid for instance, those we all know only a true 8-bit can run.

So you do know that you created a new wish list thread (which you said you wouldn't do anymore) and you are requesting "a simple redo" of asteroids.  Ok, we understand.  Why don't you pay a programmer for their services?

Edited by phuzaxeman
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, phuzaxeman said:

So you do know that you created a new wish list thread (which you said you wouldn't do anymore) and you are requesting "a simple redo" of asteroids.  Ok, we understand.  Why don't you pay a programmer for their services?

I can do that, @CPUWIZ how much is it gonna run me to get 5200 Asteroids fixed or for 8-bit to be converted so we finally after 40 years have a port that actually works like it's supposed to? You know where on this thread where to find the ROMs. Hey remember when you lent me the $$$ so I could get the 7800 last year and then I paid you back afterwards?

@jaybird3rd it may not be as simple as fixing the Todd Frye 5200 port because of how badly he botched it when he first ported it over back in 1982.

We'll see, I just sure hope it's not gonna run me too much. I'm on @CPUWIZ's good side so I'm sure he might be able to do it.