IGNORED

Can someone please port 8-bit Asteroids to the 5200 so we can have one that actually works?

BIGHMW

18 hours ago, darryl1970 said:

I tried these on actual hardware, and it was actually decent. This was never a fun port for me. I didn't realize the asteroids were in slow mode though. I am pretty sure the original unfinished version calibrated the stick after rotating it in all directions. This is much better.

I also thought the game was just dog-slow. This was actually pretty fun, and it felt like Asteroids. I was able to play well with the stock controller. (I didn't try the keypad version yet.)

Great job and Thanks!

It is still slow, taking 5 frames to do everything, so running at 12fps. I did wonder if improving the asteroid drawing routines would help but I think it splits the processing over those 5 frames so I don't think there's any easy way of speeding it up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, playsoft said:

It does! So it's only selecting the defence option which doesn't seem to work in the prototype.

Can you elaborate on that?  You mean the shield option is broken in the unaltered prototype?

2 minutes ago, Tempest said:

Can you elaborate on that?  You mean the shield option is broken in the unaltered prototype?

It doesn't seem possible to change the defence option (you can step through them with * but it is not selected when you press the trigger).

5 hours ago, playsoft said:

You must be playing the _a version..

For now you could play asteroids_CXL4013.bin if you are using flip over..

I will see if I can add another hack..

Thanks in advance with whatever you come up with!

Edited by Keatah
Whups! I see you did something already.
  • Thanks 1

Nicely done @playsoft Paul!!! 

Indeed this was what I was hoping for for this 8-bit classic. Now I'm happy now that Asteroids finally has what it needed back in 1982. :) Enjoying it and it has become my #1 port for Big Sexy. So far, just 48 hours after playing this port, I have almost hit the 30,000 point mark and climbing, and, it seems like my doing The Atari Report has actually helped me get back my gaming skills I had in the 80s. The controls are perfect, I just have to decide between slow and fast shields/hyperspace/flip over modes. I like the fast modes myself but I believe the blend of fast shields and hyperspace along with slow flip over seems to do quite well. Because of Paul and his great work this port has actually, much like most 5200 games, surpassed the 8-bit version in quality and gameplay and options/variants available for all of us.

• Thanks 1