IGNORED

Side3 problems and a need of suggestions

MausR

Since over a week i have problems to get my Side3 running with SDX and register the SD.

To understand the following hardware is used: 800XL with 320k megaram expansion, Sophia2, Side3

Booting without SD-Card:

IMG_1731.thumb.jpg.83283b0a1c2cf93847937f5f6ae252da.jpg

Booting with SD-Card inserted:

IMG_1730.thumb.jpg.700b9f1da8089498f75f7df144fc1484.jpg

Using the Sideloader an SD-Card all works fine an i can start ATR files till 180kb.

But if i'm using my spare 800XL without any upgrades SDX boot up and recognise the SD-Card every time.

For me it look like that the PSU is weak. (apologize for the wrong term)

Any suggestions? 

thats right, only 2 times it startet sdx and recognized the SD-Card but normaly it hang up. i have tried i today 50 - 60 times an only 1 time it boots up right.

IMG_1735.thumb.jpg.50c002403e5e7873e2f735b05555fa89.jpg

that's the last try before reading your message @candle

IMG_1736.thumb.jpg.b4dda693637c8e53095090eb64bd93f2.jpg

and that's how it looks on the unexpandet one. The Side3 is working fine.

Also, check ya A8's power supply. I couldn't get Side3 to work at all, then I bought a 5v 3a USB power cable for my XE. Worked. 

See here: 

I read sometimes the sdcard doesn't read if not enough juice going into the Atari overall. If you have an old school original Atari psu like I did (see post) it doesn't appear to have enough amps. Add to that any other drain on the power (Eg U1MB)  and it all contributes. 

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 2

Before I figured it out for my personal A8 setup issues, I'd found that my SIDE3 cart worked on my 2 x other XE A8s with the same stock Atari brick (5v 7.4va (1.5a)) powering them with no issues, but NOT on my 65XE (even before it was upgraded with U1MB).:_( Then with the U1MB installed and it still not working the only thing that fixed it in my case was getting the USB power cable which had the extra amps (3a). Call it a quirk of this particular 65XE (even before I added U1MB), or perhaps it has slightly different electronic componentry. (Plus of course we are talking of decades old tech).

Point is I guess not all A8s are created equally. The USB power cable cost me less than a tenner and as soon as I powered up the 65XE it worked straight away. I then spent a few hours pretending I was 25+years younger saving countless of my lil Brundle buddies!!:grin: I love SIDE3 and my new 1MB XE :D:lust:

Edited by Beeblebrox

1 hour ago, Beeblebrox said:

Before I figured it out for my personal A8 setup issues, I'd found that my SIDE3 cart worked on my 2 x other XE A8s with the same stock Atari brick (5v 7.4va (1.5a)) powering them with no issues, but NOT on my 65XE (even before it was upgraded with U1MB).:_( Then with the U1MB installed and it still not working the only thing that fixed it in my case was getting the USB power cable which had the extra amps (3a). Call it a quirk of this particular 65XE (even before I added U1MB), or perhaps it has slightly different electronic componentry. (Plus of course we are talking of decades old tech).

Point is I guess not all A8s are created equally. The USB power cable cost me less than a tenner and as soon as I powered up the 65XE it worked straight away. I then spent a few hours pretending I was 25+years younger saving countless of my lil Brundle buddies!!:grin: I love SIDE3 and my new 1MB XE :D:lust:

Maybe it's a failing capacitor or the LS timing chip in the 65XE?

1 hour ago, Sugarland said:

Maybe it's a failing capacitor or the LS timing chip in the 65XE?

@Sugarland Hi. thanks for the suggestion. Ironically as detailed just this minute below, there have been some new rather depressing developments overnight with my 65XE U1BM upgraded A8. (Which may well be now as a result of perhaps what you suggest for this particualr A8 of mine):

Although as yet it's not confirmed for sure as the issue, happily at least I've a replacement 74F08 chip on the way. More info in the above post if ya interested, (so I don't hijack this thread).

cheers

@candle the megaram XL/XE version 1 from K.Peters are soldered all over the mainboard and I'am not able to disable this thing.

New SD-Cards arrived and thats don't chnage anything. I had a one time luck for two of the three cards and had a chance to run FDISK and put patitions on ist.

The Side3 loader.

If the other things don't help i have to look for someone near by with the right knowledge and equipment to sort the problems out.

On 7/4/2021 at 11:15 PM, CharlieChaplin said:

Afaik, the Megaram 1, 2 and 3 do have problems regarding refresh. There were one or two articles in the Abbuc magazine on how to fix this problem. You can find a german description/fix on B. Pahl's webpage.  Hopefully this helps.

I think that's more than a possibility. 

After flashing SDX of the Side 3 to the latest Version and using a new PSU, it's still the same result.