IGNORED

Neon (Demo) - Hypertext (ADF) Browser for Atari

The whole idea and execution is great.

I've already started playing around with building the document and it's pretty convenient.

But of course the idea of a new functionality came to my mind right away :D

It would be great if from NEON browser level it would be possible to mount (into Fujnet drive slots) disk images or Atari executables available in the document being viewed.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, tschak909 said:

I had thought of this, and to stave off the browser getting huge, I propose literally being able to have machine code snippets that run in $0600 to send commands to do things like mount disks etc.

ah ok, I didn't realize that your comment about ML snippets would be use for FujiNet control! The ability to control host and drive slots would be amazing, it would be like a mini-config that you could use for all sort of things to enhance the FN experience.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, massiverobot said:

ah ok, I didn't realize that your comment about ML snippets would be use for FujiNet control! The ability to control host and drive slots would be amazing, it would be like a mini-config that you could use for all sort of things to enhance the FN experience.

just for whatever could be needed, including fujinet control.

I know some of you might think "OMG! THINK OF THE MALICIOUS CONTROL!"

True, you could, but it's an 8-bit machine.

and we're already doing DLI's. that ship has sailed. ;)

-Thom

Edited by tschak909
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, tschak909 said:

just for whatever could be needed, including fujinet control.

I know some of you might think "OMG! THINK OF THE MALICIOUS CONTROL!"

True, you could, but it's an 8-bit machine.

and we're already doing DLI's. that ship has sailed. ;)

-Thom

In the ADF compiler, I don't allow you to run pure code, I thought about it and still on the fence, but it is designed to prevent running arbitrary code.

Yes you can create your own DLI.  But you can only modify the values in memory that correspond to the hardware attributes.  It writes the DLI for you.

Also you can only use the :CALL command with #IDs that were defined with the :CODE command. (So you couldn't for instance create your own DLI with the :DATA statement)

However this only goes so far, as there aren't such checks in the compiled DOC file.  So you could write your own compiler, and put malicious code in there and NEON would run it.

The security stuff is kind of legacy as originally the ADF was compiled and directly shown, instead of being saved as a DOC file.

Maybe we could do some hybrid, like a plugin model?

Edited by Gibstov
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, tschak909 said:

the research scientist in me says "let's try it."

we're still early enough that we can experiment and try to find the best approach.

-Thom

I'm definitely considering it.

Some of the Pros is see:

- Added functionality, like being able to mount Fuji drive.  Plus a bunch more.

- Saving in memory that could be used increasing number of IDs

Some of the Cons is see:

- Malicious code, viruses

- Since this is acting like a web browser, each DOC needs to clean up after itself and not leave lingering changes, that could effect the environment of future DOCs. (We need to figure out how to clean up after it, but if it is running arbitrary code then ...)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, massiverobot said:

Who has source for these? Are they your apps? Will you release the source up to Github? that would be very helpful I'm sure.

None of these are my apps, sorry, I am not a programmer. I only have the disks (images) that I uploaded here, no sources. Comrun and Hyper-it are both by @billkendrick who is also active here (and Comrun is TB XL, so the source is the TB XL listing).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2021 at 12:35 PM, massiverobot said:

Yes, but it involves the TK-2 :)

https://ataribits.weebly.com/tk-ii.html

Install TK-ii on your 800, use the Mapped HELP key on your PS/2 keyboard (which is F1).

That is my first thought on how to handle it.

Search for my modded ROM that makes ctrl-shift ? the HELP key. It's only a 6 byte patch in the OS IIRC.

I mean the XL/XE OS on 800 Incognito, BTW.

• 1 month later...
On 8/5/2021 at 12:34 PM, CharlieChaplin said:

Maybe some of these old A8 programs (namely Comrun, Cardstax, Hyper-It) are good for inspiration of your current project. And if not, no problem...

Ooh, a couple of embarrassing blasts from the past for me. ;D

Edited by billkendrick
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

bumpy bump

Sorry I have updated Neon for awhile.  I've taken a break from it for a little while, but with the Holidays approaching, I will have more time to work on it.

I did separate the Browser (Read) from the Compiler (Make), so the reader is much smaller now.  I have some clean up stuff I still need to do before posting it.

I also did convert the Compiler (Make) to C#, so it could run on a webserver.  I shared it on Discord but haven't posted it here yet.   I really need to covert Make so it compiles in GCC or some modern C compiler, so you won't have to rely on the huge .NET framework.

If people think the .NET version of Make would be useful, I'll try to upload it sometime this week.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Would be nice to have direct access to compiled PHP output for up-to-date contents.

At the moment, my Fujinet crashes whenever I try to access N:HTTP://SOMETHING ... 

Btw I also am working on a Hypertext-Thing: multi-pages, editor=viewer, full DLI color change of background and font, but no graphics (exept user defined fonts - which is just planned for the future).

No compilation needed, but it is a binary format (DOC to (screen)Memory), so harder to create by a PHP script or so ...

5 hours ago, atarixle said:

Would be nice to have direct access to compiled PHP output for up-to-date contents.

At the moment, my Fujinet crashes whenever I try to access N:HTTP://SOMETHING ... 

Btw I also am working on a Hypertext-Thing: multi-pages, editor=viewer, full DLI color change of background and font, but no graphics (exept user defined fonts - which is just planned for the future).

No compilation needed, but it is a binary format (DOC to (screen)Memory), so harder to create by a PHP script or so ...

Just curious if you have the N Device Handler installed...when it crashes?

8 hours ago, atarixle said:

This has already been done by the guys in Poland.

N:http://retrokorner.pl/INDEX.AHD

they have some amazing stuff from neon.

• 2 months later...