IGNORED

How to go back to Atari OS if windows is installed?

If you install an OS on an external drive, you simply connect the drive to a USB port and power it on in order to boot to it. In order to boot to the native Atari OS, just disconnect the drive.

If you install an OS on an internal SSD selecting which OS to boot from is more complicated. In this scenario, the VCS will always boot to the OS on the SSD unless you intervene. In order to boot to the native Atari OS you need to access the UEFI menu, and then select the Atari native OS from the list of drives under Boot Manager

"If you decide to install that operating system to internal storage, you can hold the Esc key at startup to access the UEFI menu and choose the SSD option from the Boot Manager options."

https://support.atari.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/565/150/what-is-the-boot-order-when-using-multiple-operating-systems

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/AtariVCS/comments/kfnimz/psa_uefi_bios_is_apparently_accessed_using_esc/

Edited by CapitanClassic
  • Like 1

The easiest way is to unplug the USB hard drive that has windows on it, in which case it will boot into AtariOS. If you have Windows installed to an internal drive you will need to change the boot order in the bios, which can be done by holding down escape while booting. Note that if you put AtariOS to initially boot, you can use the "app" PC Mode to switch to Windows. I don't personally know how people who have Windows installed to an M2 drive, for example, return back to AtariOS without accessing the boot menu as I have not done that. 

• 2 years later...
16 minutes ago, Thanone said:

is there a way to use the m.2 drive with Linux or windows on it and automatically boot in to Atari OS?

Yes,  by default it will boot into Atari OS

For Linux though, the linux installation may try to install Grub or something and make itself the default OS.   You can usually tell it not to do this.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2023 at 9:11 PM, Thanone said:

I tried it but pressing pc mode does not do anything except reboot. Is there a way to make it boot into the m.2?

The way mine is set up,  I put an EFI boot partition on my m.2 and made it the primary boot device.   I installed grub2 there with an Atari theme, so I choose which OS boots when I power on.   I never use the "PC Mode" option in Atari mode,  that requires an extra boot to get into PC mode.

Another thing you can try is to put reFind on a USB drive and boot from that, it will find all the bootable OSes and allow you to chose:

http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/getting.html

20 hours ago, zzip said:

The way mine is set up,  I put an EFI boot partition on my m.2 and made it the primary boot device.   I installed grub2 there with an Atari theme, so I choose which OS boots when I power on.   I never use the "PC Mode" option in Atari mode,  that requires an extra boot to get into PC mode.

Another thing you can try is to put reFind on a USB drive and boot from that, it will find all the bootable OSes and allow you to chose:

http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/getting.html

Interesting, I'll try it when I can. Thanks!

• 3 months later...

Are you referring to the USB PC mode drives?

You will need to reboot.   If it's something you want to do frequently, you might consider a boot manager to choose your OS at boot time.   I'm not sure it the PC mode USB drive has one installed.