IGNORED

How well can Atari VCS play Steam games

That's great, thanks!
Yeah, we should gather a few of these together for this thread!

I've played all my Steam games on the VCS, no problem, so I'm happy, but of course, I do look at the specs first!
The first was Tempest 4000, which I had not been able to play before, as it was ridiculously slow on my old laptop.

11 minutes ago, SizzleAtari said:

How do you lower the settings? I tried to play Predator Hunting Ground and the game would not even load?? Had to get a refund. I bought it from Epic I believe.

Well I don't think you can change the settings unless the game actually loads but you can always upgrade the VCS ram that might help 

On 7/8/2021 at 8:31 PM, SizzleAtari said:

How do you lower the settings? I tried to play Predator Hunting Ground and the game would not even load?? Had to get a refund. I bought it from Epic I believe.

I had the same problem when i first got my VCS. You need to download the AMD Radeon software and update the drivers and your games should then boot up and run smooth like butter. I also would recommend upgrading the RAM that helps too.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2021 at 11:41 AM, justclaws said:

As RedDog Games didn't post this one yet, I'l post it here. 

I didn't even realise this collection was on Steam! (For reference, it's here.)
https://store.steampowered.com/app/976730/Halo_The_Master_Chief_Collection/

Hay thanks for the post man I always forget to post on here. Hopping to do more videos soon

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, SizzleAtari said:

Did you upgrade the Ram to play Warzone? No way in hell mine would play that. It barely plays the Resident Evil remake. I've updated AMD. 

Yeah I maxed out the RAM, I also overclocked the RAM and CPU as well as allocated more RAM for video from 2gb to 8gb in the bios. Warzone runs at around 30fps for me.

Edited by Djmicklovin

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I just upgraded to 16gb RAM @3400 (4gb allocated to graphics) and 2TB M.2 SATA running Windows 11. I used a program called AOMEI Partition Assistant Pro (paid app) to copy a Windows partition from USB to the M.2. I applied new thermal paste Noctua NT-H2. Games played so far: Halo REACH (720p), Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare (not sure resolution), Centipede Recharged. All played and looked great on my LG OLED. Been wanting some couch keyboard / mouse gameplay (I sit at the coffee table on a yoga bolster) and this certainly scratches the itch. Cant wait to try more games and I’d like post some captures online to share.

• 3 weeks later...

i downloaded steam on my Atari PC on a Stick ,i wanted to play Puppet Combo games and Mortuary Assistant ,steam says my stuff is not compatable  to run the games ,is this do to not having Windows? im trying to avoid buying a steam deck and would love to get these running on my VCS

I have been using my "windows on a stick" drive to play Steam games for a while now (thanks for the video @Mockduck). I have been very satisfied, and found I can get the great majority of games running, provided that I take some of the steps mentioned above (tone down performance settings and upgraded ram). I am pretty deep into the Mechwarrior 5 campaign, and I'm very happy with how the VCS handles it. Along with playing the Atari OS games, this has been the bulk of my gaming lately.

13 hours ago, LevelUp said:

i downloaded steam on my Atari PC on a Stick ,i wanted to play Puppet Combo games and Mortuary Assistant ,steam says my stuff is not compatable  to run the games ,is this do to not having Windows? im trying to avoid buying a steam deck and would love to get these running on my VCS

To get Windows games to work you have to enable proton in Steam's settings.   It's easy to do, just a check box.  

Try this:  https://www.howtogeek.com/738967/how-to-use-steams-proton-to-play-windows-games-on-linux/

• Like 1

thanks for this info ,one more question ,i read article and it says to find settings icon Top Right drop down to Properties , i am new to steam and have no games ,there is no settings icon ,i looked everywhere, do i need to buy the game first to make settings icon appear? the game i am itching to play is Mortuary Assistant it has a free demo but when i click download demo i get a not supported pop up and thats the end of trying to add it to my library 

tryed delete my last post but dont see option,i found the Force Steam and got Advanced Proton Next 7.0.6 running but i get This SSL Sertificate when i check my download page on Steam,I got a Mortuary Assistant Icon on my desk top but when i click it it wants to run ,i get a Steam chat box bottom left and the mouse flashes of and on but then it exits me out,im real close to getting this running Thanks so much for all your help

2 hours ago, LevelUp said:

thanks for this info ,one more question ,i read article and it says to find settings icon Top Right drop down to Properties , i am new to steam and have no games ,there is no settings icon ,i looked everywhere, do i need to buy the game first to make settings icon appear? the game i am itching to play is Mortuary Assistant it has a free demo but when i click download demo i get a not supported pop up and thats the end of trying to add it to my library 

Steam has two modes,  UI mode which runs in a window and "Big Picture mode" which runs full screen and mimics a console, so directions may differ depending on which mode you are in.

1 hour ago, LevelUp said:

tryed delete my last post but dont see option,i found the Force Steam and got Advanced Proton Next 7.0.6 running but i get This SSL Sertificate when i check my download page on Steam,I got a Mortuary Assistant Icon on my desk top but when i click it it wants to run ,i get a Steam chat box bottom left and the mouse flashes of and on but then it exits me out,im real close to getting this running Thanks so much for all your help

If you are getting SSL Certificate issues that is likely a Steam issue.   It might go away when they fix their cert or update your client.   Also make sure you have the latest version of Steam (it usually auto updates for me)

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2021 at 12:55 AM, Djmicklovin said:

I had the same problem when i first got my VCS. You need to download the AMD Radeon software and update the drivers and your games should then boot up and run smooth like butter. I also would recommend upgrading the RAM that helps too.

does anyone have a link with instructions on how to Update Drivers AMD Radeon?im new to the Steam Game and want to figure out how to get my VCS running Steam on my Atari PC on a stick,i did the Proton force but games just seem broken ,VR Chat Crashes after a minute of gameplay and Mortuary Assistant might load then it hardly runs and crashes ,I been wanting to play Mortuary Assistant since it dropped but i only have PS5 and Apple Ipad ,I am willing to upgrade my VCS Ram if that will help,this is all new to me , do you guys think running this game is possible on VCS ?It dont seem that demanding 

On 2/19/2023 at 12:01 PM, LevelUp said:

does anyone have a link with instructions on how to Update Drivers AMD Radeon?im new to the Steam Game and want to figure out how to get my VCS running Steam on my Atari PC on a stick,i did the Proton force but games just seem broken ,VR Chat Crashes after a minute of gameplay and Mortuary Assistant might load then it hardly runs and crashes ,I been wanting to play Mortuary Assistant since it dropped but i only have PS5 and Apple Ipad ,I am willing to upgrade my VCS Ram if that will help,this is all new to me , do you guys think running this game is possible on VCS ?It dont seem that demanding 

https://www.amd.com/en/support

Here you go

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My solution to run games from steam, epic games, gog, Ubisoft Connect ... is to connect all these accounts to my Geforce Now account. Thus, I can play almost all the "greedy" games of all these digital game platforms in streaming.

Ok, I actually have to pay 9.99 € / month to Nvidia but I get a modern gaming experience with 60 fps, RTX On, and 1080P resolution.

If you pay 19.99 € / month you get 4k resolution, 120 fps, with graphics from Geforce RTX 3080 / 4080.

So, for my part, I agree to pay this subscription because I buy the games on the different platforms by buying product codes on other platforms that save me money. Let me explain. For example, I acquired Modern Warfare II via eneba.com for €53.13 instead of €69.99 on Steam! That's 17€ savings, nearly 2 months of Geforce Now subscription ;-) It's cheaper than on Xbox Series X (79.99€)...

• Like 1

• 9 months later...