IGNORED

ATASCII graphics competition

gorgh

Hello,
Me along with Logiker from C64/CPC scene decided to announce first ATASCII competition with deadline set at 1st August. The graphics can be made with popular PLAYSCII editor and the tutorial how to use it is in the video below:

All neccessary information can be found on the dedicated page here:
http://logiker.com/ATASCII

Join the compo and show some creativity, we are waiting for your submissions!

Edited by gorgh
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

From the site:

You always hear about ASCII, ANSI and PETSCII. So why not a special compo for Amstrad ASCII? It's really time, isn't it?
Join this fun event! Create your own ATASCII art and enjoy the limits of retro computing.

It looks like something went wrong there ;)

Edited by ivop
  • Haha 1

It's nice that Playscii is compatible with A8 too, I 've installed it and it works.

There's a typo in this page:

Using Playscii for ATASCII Art

Playscii is a very versatile tool to create not only different kinds of ASCII art but also animations. We'll focus only on the part of creating standard Amstrad ASCII here.

I worked with the Playscii author last year to get ATASCII export added. Then once it was added, this was the best I could come up with! 

1500x500.thumb.jpg.e304f6c542d902262d8dd18ef86baf42.jpg

At least I'm setting the bar low. No one need feel their attempt isn't good enough to show :D

• Like 16

It was a first attempt at ATASCII and I haven't had time to do anything since. I use it as the header picture on my Atari screenshot posting twitterbot a8bitrobot.

I can't wait to see what the pro's come up with, I've always felt ATASCII is underrepresented in the worlds of PETSCII and ANSI art. Probably because of the lack of colours. 

PLAYSCII doesn't currently work on Big Sur btw. Apple moved all the standard libraries

is the main focus on ATASCII animation, or a static/finished graphics screen done with ATASCII characters as the end state?

ATASCII can be used to make a little animated cartoon or short movie, or it can just be used to draw a picture.

What is the goal here (or could it be any/all of the above) ?

1 hour ago, erichenneke said:

is the main focus on ATASCII animation, or a static/finished graphics screen done with ATASCII characters as the end state?

ATASCII can be used to make a little animated cartoon or short movie, or it can just be used to draw a picture.

What is the goal here (or could it be any/all of the above) ?

The main focus of the compo is static images using the standard Atari character set; but there are provisions for accepting animations and other variations in a separate category of the compo.

He linked to a page about the contest in the first post. There's a link to the rules at the bottom of that page. Here's a direct link to the rules: ATASCII Compo Rules

• Like 1

The stuff back in the day was just so freaking amazing. I pine about “adult” created atascii not having that same “cool” factor but then I have to remind myself that we arent 13 years old sitting in our dark bedroom for as long as we wanted working on dope atascii graphics bbs screens for trading current pirated warez games where there are 30-50 other warez boards across the USA who you are trying to look better than and vice versa….

One of the reasons that I wish so bad that more of the graphics screens from back in the day could have survived.. sad.

Nice work all of you!!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone,
We received 36 entries, the premiere of the presentation video of all productions as well as voting will start Saturday 6 PM GMT+2 time and will last until Thursday midnight.
Public voting will give 50% of the points, the remaining 50% will come from jury votes.
I will provide the link to the video as soon as we create one.
Thanks to all the participants for such great variety of artworks!

• Like 5

I could not tell from the demo video if Playscii can export to a plain text file (i.e., ATASCII text file) that could be displayed on an Atari 8-bit and/or used as a BBS screen. I see the export to XEX format, but it looked like that might just be an image that executes on Altirra, etc.

-JP

Hi John,
Yes, the exporter is done by me and Logiker, and it's simply an executable file with image data attached at the end of the file. AFAIK Playscii natively supports export to .ata files but I'm unaware of the structure of such files, probably you will need to investigate that.
Greetings,
gorgh

How do we vote?

10 and 34 showed great use of shading, though you really need to give 34 a bit of distance or a squint to see just how great the shading is. 10 not only used shading to great effect but also got a lot of subtle detail in there as well and you can't argue with the subject matter. I just love the simplicity and symmetry of 30 so I'm going to vote

1. 10

2. 34

3. 30

Or is there some more formal way to vote here?