IGNORED

Late 1993: Did any of you here buy the Jaguar at it's initial launch in limited markets in 1993?

WozzyCat

Just wondering if any of you here bought the Jaguar in late 1993 in it's initial limited launch in a few markets in the U.S. ?

If so, where did you purchase it (store/city/state.....I assume it was only available in the U.S.A. in late 1993) ?

Mine was 94, from a used video game store that would either let you rent a game or buy a game, same with systems they were only In video game stores at 1st, then late 95 they got in select Wal-Marts the beginning of the end.  Felt like they were out longer as they were out durring college years by 96 everyone had moved on, but 94 delivered a ton of AvsP, and roomate played heck out of Cybermorph same with Doom, Iron Soldier and temptest 2000.

I remeber the other roomate got ps1 /Christmas 95/with Zoop and Theme Park of all games, Atari got a couple more months of life then Ultimate mk3, destruction durby, and tekken proved playstation deserved our respect...

Early 1994 buyer in the first week it showed up at a Philadelphia area Electronic Boutique.  Got Raiden and Evolution: Dino Dudes at the same time.  Games slowly trickled out.  Not just titles, but limited copies also.  i remember Wolfenstein 3D being really hard to get at its initial release.  Many many video games stores in this major metro area.  Only one store got 5 copies (and I was lucky enough to get one of them).  

• Like 1

I didn't get my first Jaguar until January of 1995, but someone in my Atari user group got theirs on launch weekend of November 1993 and brought it to our user group meeting the next week, so I was able to play Cybermorph right after launch. IIRC, they had gotten theirs from the local Babbages, which seemed to just send Jaguars out to many of their stores across the US instead of just sticking with the New York and SF markets for launch.

• Like 2

I lived in St. Louis, so we didn't have local access to it at launch ... but my parents secretly arranged for an uncle in California to buy one for us. They surprised us with it for Christmas in 1993. I wrote about it on my blog, Break Into Chat, in 2012.

Edited by Kirkman
  • Like 2

On 7/8/2021 at 12:05 AM, Kirkman said:

I lived in St. Louis, so we didn't have local access to it at launch ... but my parents secretly arranged for an uncle in California to buy one for us. They surprised us with it for Christmas in 1993. I wrote about it on my blog, Break Into Chat, in 2012.

I just read your blog, and the links that were within the article, nice read!

What a different time it was back then, before the digitalization era that we live in took off.

On 7/7/2021 at 5:05 PM, Kirkman said:

My goodness, those old articles on Atari are hard to read, knowing what would happen in ~3 years. So many hopes crushed...

I got mine when it was clearanced at Kaybee Toys for $29.99 as at the time I couldn't afford an N64. I will say the Jaguar box was attractive looking that's for sure and Kaybee had a ton on the back wall behind the registers. Lord knows I wish I bought ALL of them, and every Jag CD at the time. Boy to have had a time machine or knowledge of the future wouldn't that be nice? 

• Like 1

On 7/6/2021 at 7:11 PM, Zerosquare said:

Your images don't show up for me, they require to be logged in with a Google account.

I didn't check back until today. I don't think I can edit that. :( haha!

It was preordered from that store. I wish the tag had some sort of date indicator on it.

20210706_123943.thumb.jpg.faacc86534f7f8440af2419e7b8e2ac1.jpg  20210706_123933.thumb.jpg.3406d9dbd8f775632df2591569aac650.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...