IGNORED

Are People Crazy on Ebay???

DavidMil

Sadly there seems to be a group mentality that says "wow, it's really expensive it MUST be super rare, buy it before it gets more expensive", instead of "that's a lot of money is it REALLY worth that?"

It's destroying the hobby I love...

• Like 12

10 hours ago, DavidMil said:

While surfing Ebay I noticed that prices are going through the roof!  I guess that price gouging can apply to more

than gasoline and groceries.  But this...  Well, check it out...

Being a long time collector (and eBay top rated seller) - you always have to look at sold listings, not active.  Atari 8-bit values are quite low right now (now the Roklan Cart - Rack 'em up that is on there now is likely to go big).  That Gold Mine has been on there for a loooog time now.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, robcatron said:

Being a long time collector (and eBay top rated seller) - you always have to look at sold listings, not active.  Atari 8-bit values are quite low right now (now the Roklan Cart - Rack 'em up that is on there now is likely to go big).  That Gold Mine has been on there for a loooog time now.

Cool to see another Kentucky boy on here. I've seen a few, but not many. I've lived in Hoosier land for the past 25 years, but I grew up in Harrodsburg.

6 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

Sadly there seems to be a group mentality that says "wow, it's really expensive it MUST be super rare, buy it before it gets more expensive", instead of "that's a lot of money is it REALLY worth that?"

It's destroying the hobby I love...

I have a friend that has a bare 1090 board.  I've been trying to talk him down for over a year.  I got him down from his original price of $5000

but I can't get him to budge from $2000.  I gave up several months ago and told him to call me if he ever wanted to sell it for $500 (which is still

way high), but this thread is about nut cases....

The sad truth is that as things get older they get more expensive (except for people)! (unless you count heath care)!!

David

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bfollowell said:

Cool to see another Kentucky boy on here. I've seen a few, but not many. I've lived in Hoosier land for the past 25 years, but I grew up in Harrodsburg.

Lived in Nicholasville for 34 yrs. Then moved to NC to be close to family.

25 minutes ago, DavidMil said:

I have a friend that has a bare 1090 board.  I've been trying to talk him down for over a year.  I got him down from his original price of $5000

but I can't get him to budge from $2000.  I gave up several months ago and told him to call me if he ever wanted to sell it for $500 (which is still

way high), but this thread is about nut cases....

The sad truth is that as things get older they get more expensive (except for people)! (unless you count heath care)!!

David

I submit that once our generation is gone....then interest in these will wane, prices will plummet.  I don't think Millennials give a Rat's about this stuff.  In fact, they will be lucky to get out of their folk's basements and into a tiny home.  DBM. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, gilsaluki said:

I submit that once our generation is gone....then interest in these will wane, prices will plummet.  I don't think Millennials give a Rat's about this stuff.  In fact, they will be lucky to get out of their folk's basements and into a tiny home.  DBM. 

Yep, we just need to outlive most of the 8-bit collectors and it will be a fire sale.  I do need to label my stuff so my wife has some idea of their value.  Not that it would matter but wouldn't want my Atari being given away for free now that it has an U1MB and Sophia in it.  She's amazing but has zero knowledge or care about these nerdy items.

• Like 4

It's not just Atari, although that area is close to all of us and causes consternation (if you want to be glass half full, think of the wider interest it creates to see high dollar items for old systems). Retro computing across the board has dramatically increased in cost particularly in the last decade - very non linear with previous years. My "other 8-bit" was a C64 and sheesh it's even crazier over there I think. 

But even past retro machines, it seems we are at a point where uniqueness has increased in value almost worldwide. Nearly everything is mass produced these days for the modern consumer, and it's just tremendously boring. Often highly economical mind you, but boring. People seek the quirky and unusual, and in the 80s there was still enough of a newness to (for instance) consumer electronics that they show their occasional hand crafted touches. Atari, Commodore, Spectrum etc units of our chosen area just had a lot of style, comparatively. It attracts a lot of attention and recently, undue investment because people think that will last. I agree with @gilsaluki though, once our generation is gone, who drive most of the reverence for that era, it will go from "unique = value" to just "old trash". 

I'll still love it to the end though ?

• Like 3

Mine absolutely hates all things "computers" despite the fact my career in IT for the past 40 years

has been paying the bills etc...

33 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

Is that before or after to you kick the bucket :)

Probably before I kick the bucket.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, TGB1718 said:

Mine absolutely hates all things "computers" despite the fact my career in IT for the past 40 years

has been paying the bills etc...

Funny how that works...  same thing here. ;-)

• Like 2

On 7/6/2021 at 1:11 AM, DavidMil said:

While surfing Ebay I noticed that prices are going through the roof!  I guess that price gouging can apply to more

than gasoline and groceries.  But this...  Well, check it out...

WOW!

DavidMil 

Cartridge.JPG

"Goldmine" - Obviously gave them ideas!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

In an effort to raise the roof on prices, some of these guys buy their own stuff at ridiculous prices using different accounts.. they are only out the ebay and paypal fees... since they are paying themselves... it really helps them make more money down the road as it skews all of the automated tools and pricing lists as well as folks who look at other listings to price their stuff. ebay is mostly dead to most folks these days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2