IGNORED

Are People Crazy on Ebay???

DavidMil

2 hours ago, 917k said:

We can all think what we want to about the actual worth of something but the reality is that things are worth whatever people are currently willing to pay regardless of the perceived value. 

Which is exactly why I've turned on my heel and walked off when a ridiculous price has been tossed my way, particularly after someone has played the, "I've done my research," and, "I know what it's worth" cards.

If the seller wants to wait for someone to come along who is willing to meet their price, that's their prerogative.  I'm just not interested in overpaying for an item, particularly when it's one that's not really essential to own.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well you know with WATA and VGA and Southebys.. They're creating an exclusive market for the rich from which they can siphon off $$$. A market that rich people can play around in. And with them being the creators they pick and choose what prices are for certain select items. The rich and dumb fall down these rabbit holes, create bidding wars, blip the press, and bolster egos, and generate income for W, V, and S.

Not impressed by anything mario anyways. But show me a pristine 4004 and now the game begins.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

Well, as many have said before, you have to look at sale prices, not asking prices. Right now, it appears to have zero bids and no watchers. I guess there's seven days left, and some rich idiot may come along, but I doubt this one will sell, at least at that price.

@bfollowell Sure, makes sense. 

Hey, just had to share this one too - ol girl needs some TLC:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194244279010?hash=item2d39dc7ae2:g:TGcAAOSwRstg6Iqb

Pity the seller didn't clean it up just a lil :-o

Love to see FJC clean this one up and get it to run in one of his vids!  (Actually I think I've seen a similar restoration elsewhere on the Net).

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Beeblebrox said:

By itself, that 850 unit is worth £420!!  

I read downward and apparently the XL is new, never been used and the box is in above average condition... Still, £850...

33 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

@bfollowell Sure, makes sense. 

Hey, just had to share this one too - ol girl needs some TLC:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194244279010?hash=item2d39dc7ae2:g:TGcAAOSwRstg6Iqb

Pity the seller didn't clean it up just a lil :-o

Love to see FJC clean this one up and get it to run in one of his vids!  (Actually I think I've seen a similar restoration elsewhere on the Net).

Good grief. I should have been sitting down when I saw the image. That's a terrible thing to have happen, especially as he was keeping it for his grandchildren to learn computing with.

With all the battery acid that would have leaked, I hope he wore gloves. I hope the buyer wears gloves...

If I hadn't noticed the "leaked battery", which we could presume didn't come from the Commodore Amiga 2000 sitting on top of it all (those things are a bloody nightmare to deal with, but even those don't put out as much acid... almost...), I'd otherwise have asked if it was recovered from a sewer... there's bound to be too much corrosion, though with any luck the RF shield within may have protected the microchips underneath...

Edited by CommodoreDecker

5 minutes ago, CommodoreDecker said:

Good grief. I should have been sitting down when I saw the image. That's a terrible thing to have happen, especially as he was keeping it for his grandchildren to learn computing with.

With all the battery acid that would have leaked, I hope he wore gloves. I hope the buyer wears gloves...

If I hadn't noticed the "leaked battery", which we could presume didn't come from the Commodore Amiga 2000 sitting on top of it all (those things are a bloody nightmare to deal with, but even those don't put out as much acid... almost...), I'd otherwise have asked if it was recovered from a sewer... there's bound to be too much corrosion, though with any luck the RF shield within may have protected the microchips underneath...

@CommodoreDecker Yeah, my thinking exactly re the RF shield, etc. Hopefully the keyboard and casing took most of the hit. The seller has a bid so good luck to the buyer in restoring it. ;-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 minute ago, derSammler said:

These are fully working parts, not just empty cases. Also, hand-made and the quality looks very nice. Quite a bit of labor put into it. For a unique item, I don't think the price is debatable.

Appreciate the parts are working, worth a few hundred pounds, but that price is just so OTT

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, derSammler said:

These are fully working parts, not just empty cases. Also, hand-made and the quality looks very nice. Quite a bit of labor put into it. For a unique item, I don't think the price is debatable.

Apologies, but that price is VERY debatable!

Possibly 300-500 for a collector of oddities, but heading towards 4K inc postage..

Edited by Mclaneinc
spelling as always!

• 5 weeks later...