IGNORED

Demons of Asteborg - New Game with a physical release for the Genesis/MegaDrive

c0op3r

I just found out about this today, even though it seems to have been in the works for 2 years.

Demons of Asteborg

There is a Downloadable demo that you can play on a Flashcart or in an Emulator?  I was pretty impressed, so I ordered a physical copy, not cheap 97$US shipped but what are you going to do looks like a better game then Papprium and not nearly as expensive as that.

Youtube Video of the game play

• Like 3

Yeah, I backed this on Kickstarter a while ago. I keep forgetting that it exists and that I have a copy coming eventually, but it does in fact exist. I filled out the thingy with my address and stuff on Backerkit or whatever it's called several months ago, so hopefully they send it before I die of old age or move.

• Like 1

According to the Twitter Post the game is done and ready to ship - they say they are waiting on one thing (but dont say what it is) but in the photo you can see cartridges and game boxes.

Does not mean there is a circuit board in the cart but I think it will ship really soon, and I am looking forward to it.

Now if only Bitmap Bureau - would ship the Neo Geo Cart of Xenocrisis (I already got the Genesis version)

Did you get Tanglewood?  I passed on it, but might get a Digital version.

I got Tanglewood and I'm very glad I did! I pretty much played it nonstop over the course of 2 solid days. Paprium I'm actually very impressed with and it is quite fun to play. I've not unlocked everything in it but did manage to unlock 1 extra character to play as. I also pre-ordered Demons of Asteborg but no idea the status of that pre-order as I wasn't a backer originally.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, insertclevernamehere said:

I preordered this last year.  Or the year before.  Can't remember exactly.  I'm looking forward to finally getting my copy.  The only thing I'm worried about is that every picture of the boxes that I've seen have Mega Drive logos.  I haven't seen a single example with a Genesis logo.

I wouldn't worry about that unless it is more of an aesthetics issue for you? Many of my games ended up with Mega Drive logos on them because that is what it was known as throughout most of the world. Only in North America was it called the Genesis. 

Even with the MD logo on it, I'm sure it will work in a NA Genesis without issue. Heck even the Columbus circle stuff I've bought past 2 years works without any issue in my model 1 Genesis. I have to use my 32x since the JPN MD carts don't fit normally in my Genesis, but they do on the 32x slot for some reason.

• Thanks 1

On 7/7/2021 at 11:05 AM, c0op3r said:

Now if only Bitmap Bureau - would ship the Neo Geo Cart of Xenocrisis (I already got the Genesis version)

Yep, waiting on that, as well, although I may buy the ROM from them and run it on my NeoSD Pro instead of buying the actual cart itself, as it's quite expensive and I already have the Japanese MD and Dreamcast versions. The exchange rate is definitely not in my favour, as well.

On 7/7/2021 at 11:05 AM, c0op3r said:

Did you get Tanglewood?  I passed on it, but might get a Digital version.

No, I keep forgetting that it exists. I'll get around to that one eventually.

On 7/10/2021 at 11:05 AM, jgkspsx said:

I am on the fence about Asteborg. It looks really promisong but potentially a little sloppy in hit detection and controls from watching other people play. Has anybody played it?

I played the two demos that they released a long time ago. Does that count? At least, I think there were two demos. I don't remember the hit detection being bad, but it was clearly an unfinished game.

Anyone else that preordered this game get emails recently asking for confirmation in regards to your name, address, and phone number? I've gotten two of them  now in the past 24 hours and my issue with these emails, is that I don't believe I used this email when I pre-ordered the game, and... the emails do NOT contain my actual email in the To header info? 

I'm thinking they are phishing emails, but then that is a concern when it is talking specifically about Demons of Asteborg and stating they need this info due to a recent drive crash?

5 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Anyone else that preordered this game get emails recently asking for confirmation in regards to your name, address, and phone number? I've gotten two of them  now in the past 24 hours and my issue with these emails, is that I don't believe I used this email when I pre-ordered the game, and... the emails do NOT contain my actual email in the To header info? 

I'm thinking they are phishing emails, but then that is a concern when it is talking specifically about Demons of Asteborg and stating they need this info due to a recent drive crash?

I have not gotten anything recently. I'd ask the devs or Backerkit if the email address that sent it to you is one of theirs, but that sounds suspicious as hell.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 1

I just went on their website to check for a release date (spring 2021... so much for that) and I noticed that their box art is actually using the real (Japanese) MD logo and the very late blue Mega Drive style (which I admittedly do like, even though there are only a very small handful of games that actually use that style, like Light Crusader and the very rare Comix Zone). Colors are a little off, though...

BoxedVersion.thumb.png.63995148044c28d3a1a434d3e85cfa49.png

I wondered if that is just a placeholder or something, but I checked and it does seem that that is in fact the final box art. Risky, as I don't think they have permission from Sega to use those assets. I also wonder when people will finally learn that Japanese MD game boxes do not have the hang tab thingy that other regions' boxes have. I'll give them slack for using the considerably less cool NA/PAL cart shape, though; (most of) my Japanese carts don't fit in my Nomad, so I imagine they don't fit in a Genesis or PAL MD, either. I do like the weird... cooling fins? on the Japanese MD carts, but the carts themselves feel quite fragile and there is the whole thing with them probably not fitting in US and PAL systems, so yeah, no complaints.

• Like 1

This game looks very cool and I am interested in it, but damn that price is a bit much. Maybe if it stays available for a few more months I might be able to convince myself to buy it. When I found out about Irena Genesis Metal Fury a week ago I discovered that it's out of stock when it hasn't even released yet.

• Like 1

I agree the price was/is a bit high, but they are going to sell a digital only version if you have a Flashcart.  I would think they might offer a sale on it once sales slow a bit, most of these Genesis/Magedrive carts tend to be out for a while (ie Tanglewood and Xenocrisis) only one that went crazy is Paprium, and I bet once someone figures out how to program the "special chip" into the flash carts, that price point plummet like a rock in a lake.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, c0op3r said:

and I bet once someone figures out how to program the "special chip" into the flash carts, that price point plummet like a rock in a lake.

It is actually a cluster of several off the shelf chips that the cart uses like mappers in other carts to handle the extra functions for the graphics, data decompression, and the audio.

The Datenmeister cover inside the cart is just a piece of metal with that label on it held onto the cluster of chips by epoxy. Most of the carts came in with that already knocked loose and rattling around. I took my cart apart and used some double sided tape to hold mine back into place but I'm sure I will eventually have to apply a few dabs of hot glue to it to hold it in place long term.

I believe not too longer after it was released, someone was able to show a pic of all the chips on the cart without the epoxy covering half of it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

It is actually a cluster of several off the shelf chips that the cart uses like mappers in other carts to handle the extra functions for the graphics, data decompression, and the audio.

The Datenmeister cover inside the cart is just a piece of metal with that label on it held onto the cluster of chips by epoxy. Most of the carts came in with that already knocked loose and rattling around. I took my cart apart and used some double sided tape to hold mine back into place but I'm sure I will eventually have to apply a few dabs of hot glue to it to hold it in place long term.

I believe not too longer after it was released, someone was able to show a pic of all the chips on the cart without the epoxy covering half of it.

Yes - I read all that, and saw the pictures.  Hence the reason for the quotes around the Special Chip - with an FPGA I would assume someone would just have to program the core to do the same thing, but note I am not a FPGA programmer or engineer.  But I do know that what he states as it being a special chip is bunk and it is an off the shelf chip so it would be ease to get documentation for if some one wanted to do so.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Steven Pendleton said:

I got an email from them and it says

SWITCH RELEASE: 01/08 

STEAM release: next week ! 

SEGA MEGADRIVE/GENESIS DELIVERY: will start next week in order of purchase 

So maybe it might be a while before you get your copy.

Yes - it might but I am super glad that it is shipping.  Thank you for posting this.  Now if Full Set and Bitmap Bureau would get the 2 titles they are to ship for the Neo Geo going I would be super happy.

Cool, a demo! I'll have to check this one out.

On 7/6/2021 at 10:20 PM, -^CrossBow^- said:

I got Tanglewood and I'm very glad I did! I pretty much played it nonstop over the course of 2 solid days.

I've had that one in my wishlist for a long time, it goes on sale often, but I'm not sure if it's my kind of game or not...

On June 28th I got a surprising email from a delivery company that told me I would get a package soon from them. The devs had contacted me earlier that month because they wanted to send me a copy of the game. So I guess they already prepared the packages with tracking numbers, which means it should arrive soon. And the game was indeed released today on Switch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm supposed to get it tomorrow but I assume it's the Genesis version and my console is stored in a closet (has been for more than two decades ?). I told them it wouldn't be convenient for me to review the Genesis version but they kinda insisted to send me a copy - I guess it is for my retro gaming association too. Mega Sg restock hasn't happen yet and I'm not sure I'll get the Piepacker cart reader anytime soon... So maybe I'll play it on Steam or Switch instead.

• Like 2