IGNORED

Demons of Asteborg - New Game with a physical release for the Genesis/MegaDrive

c0op3r

On 8/1/2021 at 12:29 PM, c0op3r said:

Now if Full Set and Bitmap Bureau would get the 2 titles they are to ship for the Neo Geo going I would be super happy.

I keep forgetting that Project Neon exists and that I backed it on Kickstarter for the AES before the Kickstarter died. Then I preordered the AES version over on their website and that's pretty much the last time I heard from them. That was probably the second thing I ever bought for the Neo Geo and it's still not here yet. They said a while ago that they are considering making a Saturn version, as well, and that would be really cool. If they do, hopefully it won't take nearly as long as the Neo Geo version since they have all of the assets from the Neo Geo version that they could use. Still, it will be nice to finally get that. Looks like all of the Neo Geo versions are sold out on their website, so I hope they ship them soon. Game development takes time, but I'm pretty sure it's missed at least one target release date so far. No rush, I suppose, especially since I keep forgetting about it myself.

Edited by Steven Pendleton

So I got the limited edition this morning (for press and backers I guess). I'm too lazy to take pictures but here's the content:

• it's a pretty black box with a magnetic latch, with "NEOFID Studios" on it
  • inside there's a Genesis box (with a Japanese style cover), framed on two sides only by foam
  • inside the Genesis box, there's a cartridge of course, the manual, a warning sheet, and a stickers sheet
  • inserted into the foam frame is a nice metallic sword that is in fact a USB key. It contains the press kit, the OST, and a Steam key (so I won't play it on Switch ?)
  • below there's a cloth map, which is nice but won't help for the game I guess, several postcards and stickers in a plastic sleeve
  • Like 2

I bought the Nintendo Switch version of Demons of Asteborg on launch day. I have to admit that DoA lives up to the hype that surrounded its development.

You can change the aspect ratio by pressing either the Left or Right shoulder buttons. The gameplay is fun and the levels are full of secrets. For example: when you first start the game, enter the house to your immediate left. Inside is a magnifying glass that when collected, will unlock your enemy’s health bars.

The jumping mechanics are spot-on (even when jumping across crumbling platforms), and your secondary weapon (when finally acquired) is useful in multiple situations, and not just in combat either.

The in-game challenge is perfect on the ‘Normal’ difficulty; it never becomes too easy or increasingly difficult at all.

(I haven’t tried the other available in-game difficulties, so I cannot comment on those.)

My verdict: The Demons of Asteborg is worth owning no matter which version you choose (i.e. Sega Genesis/Megadrive or Nintendo Switch); it’s a really, really good game.

Edit: Darn autocorrect is at it again!

Edited by ColecoGamer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have two boxed carts on the way and bought the Switch version. The download came the other day too, I should probably load it up on the Mega Everdrive Pro (apparently the only flash cart which currently works with it.) It really is a well done game, I would have gladly bought it for the same price if it had been released in the commercial lifespan of the Genesis.

• Like 1

On 8/7/2021 at 3:40 PM, nyandeyanen said:

I have two boxed carts on the way and bought the Switch version. The download came the other day too, I should probably load it up on the Mega Everdrive Pro (apparently the only flash cart which currently works with it.) It really is a well done game, I would have gladly bought it for the same price if it had been released in the commercial lifespan of the Genesis.

I was playing it last night on my Everdrive X7. Now having said that, I think the ED Pro is the only one where the save might work with the latest firmware as while I can play the game through my ED x7, I'm not able to save games. It does work in the Blastem emulator though with save game support as well.

I like the game but have been unable to get pass the wolf boss. Basically the second boss in the game and that has been very frustrating.

2 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I was playing it last night on my Everdrive X7. Now having said that, I think the ED Pro is the only one where the save might work with the latest firmware as while I can play the game through my ED x7, I'm not able to save games. It does work in the Blastem emulator though with save game support as well.

I like the game but have been unable to get pass the wolf boss. Basically the second boss in the game and that has been very frustrating.

From their email you can get it to work on the X7 by modifying a header entry, though I'm not sure I have the time these days to make it through the entire game without saves. With the Pro it's supposed to be fine. I do have the MED Pro cart (and an X7, and a Mega SD for that matter...) though my preference is admittedly to play it on the real cart when one arrives.

55 minutes ago, nyandeyanen said:

From their email you can get it to work on the X7 by modifying a header entry, though I'm not sure I have the time these days to make it through the entire game without saves. With the Pro it's supposed to be fine. I do have the MED Pro cart (and an X7, and a Mega SD for that matter...) though my preference is admittedly to play it on the real cart when one arrives.

Changing the header is how I got it to start in the first place. But it will always generate an SRAM error when it starts and doesn't save. A new FW was released for the ED Pro which, apparently does work, but no updates to any others have been done that I'm aware of. Couldn't tell you the last time there was a FW update for the ED x7. I think the last one was the one that added in the FM support for SMS games.

53 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Changing the header is how I got it to start in the first place. But it will always generate an SRAM error when it starts and doesn't save. A new FW was released for the ED Pro which, apparently does work, but no updates to any others have been done that I'm aware of. Couldn't tell you the last time there was a FW update for the ED x7. I think the last one was the one that added in the FM support for SMS games.

I've verified that it works with the updated MED Pro as stated, who knows if/when the X7 series will get updates. I also verified that it doesn't run on a jailbroken Mega SG as a file, at least not yet. I still want to wait for the cartridge release to go all the way through the game.

It seems that I haven't gotten any emails from them with the ROM despite the Kickstarter thing saying that I'm getting a ROM. Am I missing something? In that email that I got last week, it does say

Dematerialized version will be sent by mail soon.

Concerning the ROMs, they will arrive later, we will keep you informed ! 

So I'm not sure exactly what's happening and the wording of the email is kind of weird (probably a machine translation), but it's not a big deal. I suppose I'll continue to wait.

And yes, I checked Spam and Trash folders. Nothing there.

9 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

It seems that I haven't gotten any emails from them with the ROM despite the Kickstarter thing saying that I'm getting a ROM. Am I missing something? In that email that I got last week, it does say

Dematerialized version will be sent by mail soon.

Concerning the ROMs, they will arrive later, we will keep you informed ! 

So I'm not sure exactly what's happening and the wording of the email is kind of weird (probably a machine translation), but it's not a big deal. I suppose I'll continue to wait.

And yes, I checked Spam and Trash folders. Nothing there.

I wouldn't wait, I'd send them a message if you didn't get what you were supposed to. They're apparently going to disable the download soon. The email's subject line was "Here's your Demons of Asteborg ROM file!" and it arrived on the 6th at 5:55am PDT. The sender is Neofid Studios.

Looks like the cart PCB is bad: https://www.retrorgb.com/demons-of-asteborg-genesis-cartridge-unboxing.html

On 8/10/2021 at 12:48 AM, nyandeyanen said:

I wouldn't wait, I'd send them a message if you didn't get what you were supposed to. They're apparently going to disable the download soon. The email's subject line was "Here's your Demons of Asteborg ROM file!" and it arrived on the 6th at 5:55am PDT. The sender is Neofid Studios.

Alright, maybe I will get around to it eventually if I'm not too lazy~

Well, that sucks because I was waiting to get my Mega Sg to play the Genesis version. For now I've just played on Steam with the key included on the USB stick, but there's something really off about that emulated version and someone else agreed with me. It's almost unplayable sometimes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Looks like the cart PCB is bad: https://www.retrorgb.com/demons-of-asteborg-genesis-cartridge-unboxing.html

Alright, maybe I will get around to it eventually if I'm not too lazy~

I got around to it. I don't seem to have a way to contact them other than to say something on Kickstarter, as these guys don't seem to have published their email address anywhere as far as I can tell. If they don't get back to me or email me my ROM, I suppose I'll just illegally steal the ROM from somewhere online eventually and not care, as I'm kind of hesitant to stick that questionable cart in my Nomad and especially my Mega Jet.

Or not. It seems that the ROM that's floating around doesn't work on real hardware or something like that. So... what the hell, Neofid Technology? Where's my ROM? Normally I'm not too impatient, but I feel kind of impatient this time for some reason.

My understanding is EVERYONE that buys physical game and Steam online version gets the ROM.  Also lets be totally honest here if you need that ROM you will be able to find it, I am not condoning not supporting the developers but (as they say) it is what it is.

Another side note for those of you that a Twitter users (I am not big on the platform but need to use it to see when new runs of things will be offered for sale) there is a bunch of people complaining about the design of the circuit board (Bob from RetroRGB (who I trust) and Voultar (who I think is talented but can be a little weird and overbearing) are complaining about how the cart producer / designer is handling the 5v to 3.3v conversion and the beveling at the connector edge.

Personally I dont care, it has been stated that it will not harm the genesis/megadrive and to be honest I will most likely use the the downloadable ROM on me MegaSD for general use.  But some of you might and I wanted to let people know so they can come to their own conclusions.

12 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

Well, that sucks because I was waiting to get my Mega Sg to play the Genesis version. For now I've just played on Steam with the key included on the USB stick, but there's something really off about that emulated version and someone else agreed with me. It's almost unplayable sometimes.

You going to write about it?

19 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

Do you have a way to run the Steam ROM on real hardware? I suppose you can try that if you have a way to do it before the Mega Sg arrives.

Alternatively, try it in BlastEm, as that's the best software emulator for the system that there is. If BlastEm can't run it, either they did something funky to the ROM or it isn't actually a Genesis/MD ROM~

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

No, "all I have" is a Genesis cartridge and a Steam key. The Steam game is clearly an emulated version, but there's something off about it, especially buttons don't always register for some reason).

I meant like see if you can pull the ROM out of the Steam version and try to run it in BlastEm or something. Maybe not possible, but you never know. That's how the Sega Mega Drive & Genesis Classics thing is. Once you buy the games on Steam and download them, they're literally just ROMs sitting in a folder on your computer somewhere, although I forget the directory they are in, and you can take those Steam ROMs and run them on an emulator of your choice or on real hardware with a ROM-loading cart. Steam is actually where I got my Sonic ROMs (and a few others) from and those are the ones I use on my MegaSD.

Anyway, they noticed that some people on Kickstarter never got the ROM now and told us to email them. Thanks to a certain someone, I already had emailed them, though~

Anyway, impressions or something once they send me my ROM, provided that it works on the MegaSD. Not sure why it wouldn't work, but you never know. Looks like it's just before 1400 in France now, so maybe I'll get it in my email while I'm asleep or something, as it's almost 2100 here and I feel pretty tired. Might go to sleep early.

• Like 1

The ROM I downloaded from the link in the email they sent me does work on my actual model 1 va2 through my ED x7. But of course I cannot save any game progress as that part of the mapper isn't emulated in the x7 and is only working in the ED Pro is my understanding. Still, the game comes up fine for me and I can play it until my cart shows up.

I will check the beveling on it, But this is partly why I keep my 32x attached as I would rather sacrfice its cart connector vs the one in my actual Genesis. Although I can't imagine it being much worse than the Columbus Circle releases in that regard.

Either way, I'm sure I can take care of the beveling myself with my dremel and grinding wheel as I've done with other carts in the past.

1 hour ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Although I can't imagine it being much worse than the Columbus Circle releases in that regard.

lol those things are horrible. Those PCBs are just a damn square that they want you to shove inside there. No thanks, Columbus Circle. I'm honestly considering getting a Retrode 2 literally just to dump Columbus Circle carts.

Anyway, it seems that one side of the cart is bevelled but the other isn't, according to Bob over at RetroRGB. That's kind of strange. I don't think I've ever seen a cart like that before. Still probably better than Columbus Circle's totally square PCBs, though.

Edit: ROM email get!! Time to try it on the Nomad with the MegaSD.

Black screen. Tasty. Now on Mega Sg + MegaSD and from Mega Sg's SD card slot.

Mega Sg + MegaSD = never made it past the loading screen.

Mega Sg SD card slot = game loads, intro is garbled but the menus work, and then when you start the game, you get this:

Pic_0817_767.thumb.jpg.6c6265348c7023932d96e7a49100bb31.jpg

and fall through the floor repeatedly until you game over.

For now, consider the ROM to basically be completely useless in its default state unless you have either BlastEm + hex editor or the Mega Everdrive Pro for real hardware.

• Sad 1

Damn, I ran out of time to edit.

For those of you with the ROM, what are the CRC32 and SHA-1 values? I went to report this not working over on the Mega Sg's GitHub page and I found that someone had already reported it not working with what looks to be a pirate version of the ROM with different CRC32 and SHA-1 values than the ROM that I got from the devs. Curious to see what everyone else might have.