IGNORED

Troubleshooting: Failing Drive or Bad CDs?

My FZ-1 plays some games perfectly, and it has trouble with others. It's about half-and-half. One, it tries to load for a couple of moments before simply spitting the CD back out. Here's a more specific rundown to give a better idea:

Blade Fo

Total Eclipse - OK

Need For Speed - OK

Alone In The Dark - OK

Pebble Beach Golf Links - OK

Space Hulk - OK

Primal Rage - OK

Out of This World - OK

Shock Wave - OK, except crashes after first level?

Super Street Fighter II Turbo - OK, except Blanka music skips and cuts out (possibly other tracks)

Mega Race - Mostly works; skippy; sometimes crashes

Gex - doesn't load

D - doesn't load

Return Fire - doesn't load

Immercenary - console spits it out

All of these discs are in good physical condition (Immercenary looks almost brand-new!), and whatever scratches they have don't seem like they should be severe enough to interfere with loading...but I could be wrong!

Could getting better performance be as simple as resurfacing the troublesome discs (or making CD-Rs...), or do I need to look at the drive (which are notorious for developing issues with the lasers and stepper motors)?

• 3 weeks later...

My FZ-10 had a problem like this. Some games were fine, others would start out fine but have difficulty reading as the console warmed up, some were always trouble. Replacing the laser fixed the issue. Strangely, the old Playstation fix of standing the console on its side also improved matters. The mechanisms are different between the two consoles so the problem obviously couldn't have been the same, but in my case it makes me wonder if there was a physical problem with the pickup (not the laser diode itself) that was affecting its ability to focus.

• 2 weeks later...