IGNORED

Making a reproduction Magic Dump II Cart

I want to make a Magic Dump II Right Cartridge, but cant find any info on making one. I know Nir Dary has made them, so I know it is possible. I have made plenty of other cart types, but not a right cart. Any info on making this 8k right cart would be great.

Thanx

3 minutes ago, Fierodoug5 said:

I want to make a Magic Dump II Right Cartridge, but cant find any info on making one. I know Nir Dary has made them, so I know it is possible. I have made plenty of other cart types, but not a right cart. Any info on making this 8k right cart would be great.

Thanx

I know @Gavin1968 had made Right slot cartridges in recent months. He might be able to give you some practical advice.

• Like 1

Ok, I have made some progress on making a reproduction Magic Dump II cart

Using a Pixles Past 8/16k Eprom cart pcb and burning a 8k rom of Magic Dump II to a 2764A eprom

It does work. Control-ESC to save screen, space bar to bring up Magic Dump II menu.

I can save a screen and print it to a real printer, can print a screen to a Fujinet emulated printer to PDF and I can save a screenshot to a file on a floppy and load it back up

But.....the cart conflicts with a lot of software. 

For example: Loading Jumpman comes up with "Remove all Cartridges", and Printshop and some other software comes up with garbled graphics.

I assume it is something in the cartridge pinout that is different on the Right carts?

Any input or suggestions would be great

The Magic Dump rom I am using is from this thread, post #3

IMG_20210714_150952111_HDR.jpg

I know it runs in the 8000 area, but I bet its using either C000 or dumping basic out and residing there ? as well , so anything that checks those places as cart tests is going to just bork..

Well that's my totally non-technical guess and almost certainly wrong :)

• Like 2

Well, a lot of software is not "right cart aware" so to speak and won't reserve/ignore the memory space in that region. Worse, it actively conflicts with that ROM address range since - being disk based - no carts should be inserted when running it.

• Like 1