IGNORED

Hunch Back (No F-18A!)

Retrospect

I started a new thread so as to ensure people knew about this game, it's not just a re-working of my original , it's an entirely ground-up rewritten game that closely matches the look and feel of the arcade original.  No F18A is needed for this game.  After studying and playing the arcade version, I found the guards with spears to be made of character graphics rather than sprites. So I copied this idea.  And it worked perfectly.  The collision detection between spears and the player is now as good as it was in the arcade!  There's also 15 screens of play, each screen more difficult than the last.  If you do manage to rescue Esmeralda, the game restarts but with a different colour, faster arrows & fireballs, and each Fire Pit & rope screen also includes a fireball.  

Features;

Top score is kept and displayed in the game

Speech Synthesis if you have it connected

Bonus score every 4 bonus bells, if no lives are lost in 4 screens

Comical deaths

A ten-page manual with loading instructions and step-by-step guide to the game.

Editor Assembler 5 files included, as well as Extended Basic file.

Note: The previous F18A only version should be considered a prototype.  This is the real thing.  I'm happy with it. :)

HunchBack Standard TI99.zip

titlescreen.png.4622c94f6a66e7587a938c8fe03e7534.png

Edited by Retrospect
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 1

This is the best I can do at the moment.  That screen is very tricky!  The projectiles don't come on at the same time, they're randomly timed, but once they're on they just fly across at a set speed - and sometimes you can't just jump to avoid an arrow and avoid the fireball at the same time!  However, the arcade machine did this also.  :)

412928747_mytopscore.thumb.png.ec83333cec7823c31260b1647c35f2d5.png

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

Neat, though I can't get past the 2nd screen lol. 

Thanks Insane.  

Line yourself up right at the edge of the pit .... watch how close the rope gets as it heads to you.  You need to be jumping just as the rope is about 32 pixels (2 sprites length) away from you, so long as it's heading towards you and not the other way.  Make sure you press fire just as it gets to the edge of the other side.  :)

One thing I did notice whilst playing the arcade version in Mame is that there were various "sets" released, some on different hardware, so you'd have a Galaxian Conversion , and so on .... well in order to emulate that, I've got "Hunchback Set 2" for anyone who wants it ... this one doesn't have speech, the title screen's different, the graphics are different, and there's a twinkling starfield in the game. Also the game runs faster in parts.  :)

hunchback set 2.zip <<--- EA5 and XB files. 

• Like 8

Wow! great work! It is really playable and nice graphic!
I love the manual too!

During the gameplay the Jump moment when there is the rope to take, I love how you managed a sort of slow motion and teh the fast fall down cartoon style... really funny!

image.png.2464d52d79d98cc7df429f937170d80c.png
Edited by ti99iuc
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Retrospect said:

Thanks Insane.  

Line yourself up right at the edge of the pit .... watch how close the rope gets as it heads to you.  You need to be jumping just as the rope is about 32 pixels (2 sprites length) away from you, so long as it's heading towards you and not the other way.  Make sure you press fire just as it gets to the edge of the other side.  :)

I will give that a try tonight :)   I was attempting running jumps so that may be my "downfall"  grin   (I was using the EA version in Classic99).   Greta fun.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

I was attempting running jumps

so long as you know you're timing you can do running jumps but never do them from the start of the screen as you will always fall, lol

it's best to let the rope come from the centre of the pit, fully to the left, then back to the right, and then judge the jump as it's coming towards you again. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ti99iuc said:
Wow! great work! It is really playable and nice graphic!
I love the manual too!

During the gameplay the Jump moment when there is the rope to take, I love how you managed a sort of slow motion and teh the fast fall down cartoon style... really funny!

image.png.2464d52d79d98cc7df429f937170d80c.png

ha thanks ciro!  Yes it did turn out quite funny.   I took the idea from the Wile.E.Coyote cartoons :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

This is  nice little demonstration of scrolling.  Hunchback in the Arcade used a scroll to bring in the next castle screen.  I haven't done this in my game because it uses too much space but I did make this short demo of scrolling for Hunchback.

To make it so all the screens could be scrolled, I would have to use an array with 480 elements (32 columns x 15 screens).  Here's a demo with just 64 elements used.

Here's the source code in XB256.  It doesn't need to be compiled to see the results but I did compile mine for the video.

The CALL LINK("COLOR2",x,x,x) commands are quick 'n' dirty, I placed them at the end of each CALL LINK("CHAR2") line, but to tidy it up it would be CALL LINK("COLOR2",x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x) for example.  
demo.txt

Edited by Retrospect
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Asmusr said:

To save space you could have one array with the unique columns, and another with the column numbers to display. The latter could be stored a string to save more space, e.g. A is column 1, B is column 2 and so on. 

Yes it's the only way because I tried 15 screens with my method and it killed the stack space in no time, in fact it didn't support 15 screens

• 1 month later...