IGNORED

Hunch Back (No F-18A!)

Retrospect

4 hours ago, Retrospect said:

Hey thanks! :)

Great to see them both side-to-side like that

Have Hunchback for my Oric Atmos and ZX Spectrum 128+ as well, but could not photograph those at the same time as they are connected to the same CRT as the TI via SCART switcher.

But your version compares very well in looks and playability! Great work.

Played the ZX Spectrum version a lot back then. Did not have the C64 or Oric version then, but nowadays with internet and mass storage devices for all my retros of course that is now trivial ?

Edited by xahmol
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you @Retrospect, can add me to the list of people that appreciate this conversion!  :)

Only became aware of this game years ago, thanks to the 2600 homebrew. And despite being old enough, had no idea it was an arcade game as I never saw it BITD. It is a fun little game, and this version has that classic arcade quality feel to it. Challenging in a fun way, but damn... still need to get the "hang" of jumping onto the swinging ropes!  :lol:

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, save2600 said:

still need to get the "hang" of jumping onto the swinging ropes

Hi save2600, glad you like it ... the ropes are a real bugger ... but they're not quite as hard as some other home conversions, such as the Vic-20 to name but one !   .... once you get the timing right, it's just about the same every time.    Jump when the rope is about a sprite's width away from the edge, coming toward the player.  Then ensure you press fire again only when you reach the edge at the other side.  By the way you'll be pleased to know, it gets slightly harder as you progress, as I'm sure I remember putting in arrows or fireballs that shoot across the screen as you wait for the rope.  ;)

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

**** Update coming soon ****

There's going to be an update to this game coming this year.  It will be re-written from the ground up, with focus on getting it even closer to the arcade original, and the player (Quasimodo) will be more than one sprite, to make him a little bigger.  (But not as big as the MSX version, he was like 6ft 5)

• Like 15

1 hour ago, retrodroid said:

Can I ask why you are updating the same game?  Is it to implement new / better techniques you’ve learned since the last one?

What programming language are you using for this game?

has it changed? 

Hi Retrodroid.

It's getting an update because I felt that the main player character wasn't quite as good as it could have been, the movement wasn't very nice, and could have been done a little better than it was.

The programming language is Extended Basic, with the XB256 extensions and the compiler, by Harry Wilhelm.  That is the same language that I used last time, that hasn't changed.

Also the graphics are having a bit of an overhaul.  I love the arcade game of Hunchback so I wanted to make sure justice was done for the Texas TI99 because I actually feel that with me doing it the way I did it, someone else could have done it better and I robbed them of that chance.  

That said, this is in no way an "official" conversion so if anyone else wants to do an HunchBack game, please do!!  :)

• Like 5

On 1/13/2023 at 5:34 PM, Retrospect said:

Hi Retrodroid.

It's getting an update because I felt that the main player character wasn't quite as good as it could have been, the movement wasn't very nice, and could have been done a little better than it was.

The programming language is Extended Basic, with the XB256 extensions and the compiler, by Harry Wilhelm.  That is the same language that I used last time, that hasn't changed.

Also the graphics are having a bit of an overhaul.  I love the arcade game of Hunchback so I wanted to make sure justice was done for the Texas TI99 because I actually feel that with me doing it the way I did it, someone else could have done it better and I robbed them of that chance.  

That said, this is in no way an "official" conversion so if anyone else wants to do an HunchBack game, please do!!  :)

Thanks for responding, I Just wasn't up on the history of your project so wasn't sure what the motivation, etc. for "upgrades" might be. Hunchback is an interesting game, pretty ambitious for its time for sure.  I'll have to give this a spin.  :)

• Like 3

hunchback2.thumb.png.6866e23776a6bb5c1e55292cf4a1c87c.png

More work on graphics tonight.  Trying to use less sets so as to conserve memory.  Main aim is two things; the player being more than a single colour, better movement, and graphics closer to the look and feel of the arcade.  It's not 100 percent true to the arcade because if it was you'd have to turn your monitor 90 degrees, to get the longer screen!  This has always been the issue attempting certain older arcade games.  I had that issue with Lunar Rescue.  

• Like 12

22 minutes ago, Retrospect said:

It's not 100 percent true to the arcade because if it was you'd have to turn your monitor 90 degrees, to get the longer screen!

I think that is an accepted arcade conversion convention.  It looks great!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A little more work done tonight.   The sound effects might not stay, they will probably be different.  If you think these are annoying you should hear the arcade version's sounds.

Well Quasimodo is moving around now, and can jump.  I noticed with the arcade version you can still move left and right whilst jumping so I made it do this here also.  

There's no rope in the fire pit screens yet.  I think it's coming along nicely.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1