MrBeefy

Amico Crayola Event

2 hours ago, jbrodack said:

I went to the event cause its under an hour from me and I was curious to see the Amico in person and try the controller. There's people that say everything Amico is perfect and people who say the opposite.  I like to form my own opinions. So I was able to try 2 games and saw biplanes  being played. Things mostly work as intended but I still don't completely see the market for this. 

So there were 2 consoles setup and probably 8 controllers.  Tommy was usually near the consoles. To the side of the consoles there was a guy filming and behind the consoles there seemed to be staff or people associated with Tommy.  The people associated with Tommy or with other small youtubers were by far the most excited about the console.  I saw the next level guy filming his stream and introducing his family to Tommy.  The rest of the people played a bit some had a few laughs then they moved on.  Didn't see anyone ask about buying the console. Saw Tommy try to get reactions from the kids like "it's fun right?! " then make some exaggerated face.  On line Tommy tapped me and asked me how I knew about the event.  During play he put his hand on my shoulders for a second and asked about the game and gave some tips. The touching is a bit creepy and I don't like people I don't know putting their hands on me. Pet peeve of mine. 

So my first game was Astrosmash and it looks better in person than in YouTube videos.  Still a bit basic but sharp and smooth framerate. My initial impressions of the controller are that it does work and doesn't have any noticeable input lag like Amico detractors assumed it did.  I tried manual fire and the shoulder buttons just didn't seem up to the task. Thankfully I realized that there is an auto fire toggle on the touchscreen. The screen is neat with that toggle and hyperspace.  However the controller is just a terrible design overall and felt like the worst possible way to play the games I played. Personal opinion obviously.  Using the disc as a dpad felt awkward and you feel the grooves of the disc digging into your thumb. Astrosmash was pretty fun though. There's some enemies that require a bit of strategy like waiting for them to get low and then hyperspace into them. Different power ups that you shoot to activate. I got to level 4 out of 10. Starts real slow but ramps up. I wasn't amazed but if it came on switch I'd probably buy it if it was on a decent sale.  Also I encountered a bug that Tommy said was introduced that week.  For maybe 2 minutes hyperspace activated on its own without tapping the screen. 

I took a break then came back to try shark shark.  Saw some people twisting the disc while playing but the only reliable way I could move was using the controller like a dpad again. This felt aimed at kids.  I didn't play long but seemed kinda boring and slow.  I couldn't figure out how to dash like in the original.  So you move at a consistent speed.  The graphics looked low grade and as I heard the next level guy say targeted 30fps.  It felt like there were dips below that.   The most potential for fun seemed to be playing competitively and stealing fish from other players. This ran into problems at one point.  They had the astrosmash amico controllers charging but the shark shark ones on battery. Some died at one point not sure how long they last but there seemed to be issues reconnecting controllers and Tommy had to reset the whole system.   I wasn't impressed with the UI and it seems you need to press a button on the system to try a different game. 

So overall it works and was better than I expected but still not impressed and definitely wouldn't buy one at $250.  Games seemed similar in quality to random android games compatible with nvidia shield tv. The controller is just a flawed design and trying to reinvent the wheel. It ignores everything we've learned about ergonomics since the intellivision. It's a brick with shoulder buttons and a dial.  Those shoulder buttons barely extend past the controller and are squishy and not clicky. They worked but felt awkward to use. The touchscreen is neat but probably could have been smaller and shouldn't have been there instead of normal buttons.  The disc needed a traditional joystick or dpad to complement it. The grooves are annoying and uncomfortable and the feel of moving around wasn't good.  The games seemed like they all should be free to help justify the cost of the system.   I know Amico is targeting families but it doesn't seem like it offers much more for that than the switch.  I can see intellivision and retro gaming fans buy this with hopes to play with their kids who will quickly tire of it and play minecraft or something instead.  There's party game potential but with the price of the controllers that's also a hard sell.  It's nice to have another system trying its own thing but I'm having trouble seeing the point of it.   Maybe it would work better as a brand of games for other consoles. 

Thank you this is probably the most detailed review I've seen. From what I've read about it, and seen about it, it looks like amico is much like a board game you play it once or twice with the family have some laughs have some fun, but then it remains in the cupboard forever. And of course this cost a lot more than just one board game. It's kind of funny cause I remember playing some board games and finding it really fun but only played it once or twice it's funny how that works.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, jbrodack said:

I can't tell if you're serious or making a joke.  I definitely was there. I've made posts critical of the system but went there with an open mind and was friendly to everyone.  Briefly talked to a girl that seemed excited about the console at least for playing with friends and seems that was saggy melonz. 

I tried to be honest and accurate with my account and give some separation between facts and my opinions.  If I was a hater with an agenda I would have made up something about input lag. But it's a non issue currently.  Maybe it was never there maybe it was fixed but input seemed as responsive as any other console. 

Most other accounts came from people with YouTube channels so I wanted to give a reaction from a normal person. 

It's funny that you describe yourself as normal. Just my reaction as a normal person.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, adam1977 said:

I'm sorry, but I seriously doubt you were there at the event, and i'm calling BS on your post. I think you've got a vivid imagination and a deep seated enmity for Tommy and Amico, your comments on the nintendolife site confirm this to me 😉 (https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/06/intellivisions_amico_is_shaping_up_to_be_the_most_nintendo_non-nintendo_system_ever)

I can confirm that he was indeed there because I was right next to him when had mentioned to Tommy that he heard about the event on this forums site. 

*Saggy Melonz*

• Like 1

2 hours ago, adam1977 said:

I'm sorry, but I seriously doubt you were there at the event, and i'm calling BS on your post. I think you've got a vivid imagination and a deep seated enmity for Tommy and Amico, your comments on the nintendolife site confirm this to me 😉 (https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/06/intellivisions_amico_is_shaping_up_to_be_the_most_nintendo_non-nintendo_system_ever)

He was obviously there he knows everything

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Juice said:

He was obviously there he knows everything

They always do, don't they.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Swami said:

They always do, don't they.

He was there and he actually played it so I'm going to trust his opinion over people who haven't

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I'm just here to help relay a message from SaggyMelonz who was also there (and waiting on approval to post herself):

his_opinion.thumb.png.11858fe9c64f5234307febcb8086e933.png

"So I can confirm that he was at the event! I did talk to him briefly and he did mention he heard about the event from atari age. He is telling the truth. He was very nice and respectful and he is entitled to his opinion. I was trying to make an account to confirm but since it takes a while for approval I wanted to make sure the record was set straight that he was 100% there and is giving his 100% honest opinion"

Edited by Sho
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Juice said:

He was there and he actually played it so I'm going to trust his opinion over people who haven't

or so he says. He posted after all the online material went up.

EDIT: Okay. Saggy confirms he was there. But I can't trust his opinion because he is obviously biased against it from previous posts shown and being a Pat and Ian fan. You can't trust fans for being biased and we can't trust haters or "critics" for being biased. End of story. I still stand by the know-it-all comment.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

3 minutes ago, Swami said:

or so he says. He posted after all the online material went up.

Okay. Saggy confirms he was there. But I can't trust his opinion because he is obviously biased against it from previous posts shown and being a Pat and Ian fan.

So with your theory we can't trust people who have posted positive things about it because they're obviously biased for it, and that have shown that they're a Tommy fan? I believe that's what we call a double standard my guy.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Juice said:

So with your theory we can't trust people who have posted positive things about it because they're obviously biased for it, and that have shown that they're a Tommy fan? I believe that's what we call a double standard my guy.

You can't trust fans for being biased and we can't trust haters or "critics" for being biased. End of story. No double standard "my guy".I still stand by the know-it-all comment.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Swami said:

You can't trust fans for being biased and we can't trust haters or "critics" for being biased. End of story. I still stand by the know-it-all comment.

Fair enough, but I rather be a more trusting person

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Juice said:

Fair enough, but I rather be a more trusting person

So, do you trust that what the fans say is true or that they've been overly influenced by Tommy or old man nostalgia?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Swami said:

So, do you trust that what the fans say is true or that they've been overly influenced by Tommy or old man nostalgia?

I haven't heard anything that doesn't sound untrue from fan or critic, just people's opinions.

• Like 2

I don't really have a horse in this race, and don't know what wil eventually become fo Amico, but must admit that watching the endless tug of war between both lovers & haters is kinda entertaining. Especially when amazingly-named characters such as "SaggyMelonz" appear...seriously, you couldn't make it up. Much better than the old sordid VCS saga.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Juice said:

I haven't heard anything that doesn't sound untrue from fan or critic, just people's opinions.

That's a double negative, or maybe a triple negative with the un-, so I'm not sure what you just said.

8 minutes ago, Swami said:

That's a double negative, or maybe a triple negative with the un-, so I'm not sure what you just said.

I Think it doesn't make sense to not believe opinions. If someone said there was 10 million people there I would be like "yeah that doesn't sound true" but nobody said anything like that, people have just said that they had a little fun, and that there was a lot of men there, there is no noticeable lag, it's fun but not really $250 fun, and that it would be something cool to play with your family. That all sounds believable.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Juice said:

I Think it doesn't make sense to not believe opinions. If someone said there was 10 million people there I would be like "yeah that doesn't sound true" but nobody said anything like that, people have just said that they had a little fun, and that there was a lot of men there, there is no noticeable lag, it's fun but not really $250 fun, and that it would be something cool to play with your family. That all sounds believable.

People have also said they had a lot of fun and it's worth $250 fun

• Like 1

The Amico Crayola event was an absolute huge success!!  Hundreds of people got the chance to play Amico and overwhelmingly loved it.  

Even people who went in skeptical or with no opinion walked away saying how much it exceeded their expectations, how great the controller felt, how much better the graphics and gameplay looked in person, how fun the games were and that families enjoyed it!  There are so many incredible videos and footage that will be coming out and I look forward to everyone checking them out and seeing the real reactions from real people (and not just Amico fans).

I can confirm that the 1 person who didn't seem to particular feel it wasn't for him was in fact there.  So lets not say that he was not.  I believe he was the only person we saw all day that didn't have a smile on his face.  And that is totally 100% okay!  I apologize to him if he felt uncomfortable by me putting my hand on his shoulder when I walked up to when he was playing.  I'm Italian... it's what we do.  :)  But again, I apologize if that made him feel uncomfortable.  Wasn't my intention.  Was the opposite in fact.

Folks, it's okay that he wasn't particular fond of it overall.  It's okay that he particularly didn't like the feel of the controller.  I've always said from the start that Amico wasn't made for folks like him.  So why is anyone surprised he didn't like it?  It's like asking a country music fan to listen to speed metal and expect a good review.  :)  No one should put him down or question him for his feelings. 

Keep in mind he did say...  Astrosmash looked good, he would buy it, THERE WAS NO LAG, the framerate was good, IT WAS FUN (most important part).  He also said that the console overall it exceeded his expectations.

In regards to the negative points he brought up.  Yes, you need to press a button in order to activate a new game in the UI.  Although I'm not sure if there is a modern system where you don't need to select the game you want... and then push a button to play it.  The Astrosmash hyperspace bug is not a 2 minute bug.  That was an exaggeration.  Maybe it felt like 2 minutes to him (i.e. I'm not calling him a liar, but it's more like 15 - 20 seconds).  It was introduced this week and we have already tracked it down and fixed it.  I happened randomly about one in every 100 times you hit the HYPERSPACE on screen and it would stop the second you touched the screen a second time.  Again... just a small bug that has already been taken care of.  All of the games shown were in their Beta Master state with only a few final bugs to be squashed.  Very typical game development stuff and he was the only person who had mentioned that they encountered it all weekend after hours and hours of people playing.  So he should get a prize!  :)

I thought it was also kinda cool/funny that he said that the 2 games he played (Astrosmash & Shark! Shark!) should be free games to entice people to purchase the system.  I have GREAT NEWS!  THEY ARE!!   Along with 4 others!   :)

But before the obsessed hater stalker trolls (like the two-faced phony who made this thread) start to celebrate because someone was honest and said they didn't like it.  Just know that this particular person was the 1%.  Sorry to disappoint ya.

Most skeptics of Amico came away with a huge understanding of the system and how much they loved and enjoyed it.

Here are just a few of their posts...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/intellivisioninvasion/posts/4192056090847950/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/intellivisioninvasion/posts/4192361727484053

https://www.facebook.com/groups/intellivisioninvasion/posts/4191334717586754/

I can't wait for everyone to see the epic videos that our team and others will be putting together. 

Absolutely home run for Amico at Crayola!

Thank you to everyone who attended.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Juice said:

BTW, I was the one who defended you in the Q&A thread when a couple people said you were trolling. I said you were just skeptical about it.

Were people really doubting that guy because he was literally not gushing over it 100%?

🤣

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

Were people really doubting that guy because he was literally not gushing over it 100%?

🤣

No, it was a response to the mentality you just expressed. 😁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, youxia said:

I don't really have a horse in this race, and don't know what wil eventually become fo Amico, but must admit that watching the endless tug of war between both lovers & haters is kinda entertaining. Especially when amazingly-named characters such as "SaggyMelonz" appear...seriously, you couldn't make it up. Much better than the old sordid VCS saga.

Glad to know I'm not the only person who has a weird name. 🤣

31 minutes ago, Swami said:

BTW, I was the one who defended you in the Q&A thread when a couple people said you were trolling. I said you were just skeptical about it.

Appreciate ya 

There have been a bunch of videos posted (thanks again @justclaws) Sounds like Shark! Shark! is the go to kid game out of the pack ins. I've read and seen some video that seems like the controllers had trouble syncing sometimes. So I'm guessing these unots didn't have the production ready firmware and UI on them.

1 hour ago, MrBeefy said:

🤣

I thought you had me on ignore?

🤣

Amico dude not being honest again?  What a surprise.

:D

• Like 1
  • Confused 2