MrBeefy

Amico Crayola Event

Just now, SegaSnatcher said:

I honestly would love to see Tommy do a US tour for Amico.  I don't know if that is financially viable for them, but would be a nice way to get more people to try it out.  If Tommy is ever in Phoenix, AZ with the Amico I'll gladly try it out. 

I'm not sure how many sales it will generate but I think it would help with people understanding the console better. There was some talk about mall tours so maybe these things are in the budget. It is hard saying what the books look like right now considering they are a year behind and have no incoming revenue.

1 minute ago, MrBeefy said:

I'm not sure how many sales it will generate but I think it would help with people understanding the console better. There was some talk about mall tours so maybe these things are in the budget. It is hard saying what the books look like right now considering they are a year behind and have no incoming revenue.

At the very least even shipping out some demo kiosks might be worth it.  It does seem like a console you really need to experience yourself to fully understand what its trying to achieve with its unique controller and I'm just extremely curious to see if it will surprise me.  I bought an Original Wii on launch because I got to try it out at a kiosk at a local mall. They actually had like 4 or 5 Wii kiosks setup in the food court. 

I had similar opinions about Wii back in 2006 as I do with Amico now.  While the OG Wii is far from my favorite Nintendo console I still enjoy it and had a gas playing Wii Sports back in the day with family and friends.  I'm actually not this stubborn "hardcore gamer" elitist that some might assume.  I like many styles of gameplay.  All I care about is whether the games are fun or not and if the controller doesn't get in the way of play.  

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, SegaSnatcher said:

Because a traditional D-Pad will feel better for certain games like platformers and shmups for example.  Finnegan Fox is not designed for 64 points of movement and I bet most games so far on Amico likely utilize the disc pad as an 8 way pad.  Tommy himself said devs aren't locked into 64 points of movement.  I would be interested to know which games utilize all 64 points of movement though, maybe Shark Shark does and Dolphin Quest?

I've tried those add-on "physical" buttons on touchscreens before and they just don't feel the same as legit physical buttons. 

Feeling better is subjective, and certainly people like what they are use to.  It's possible but I don't see why an Amico game would be programmed for eight directions.  You might be right about Finnigan Fox, would have to play it, but the programming was updated for the Amico controller.  I see mostly games using 2-way, 4-way, or maximum directions.  Four-way games will benefit by avoiding accidentally hitting a diagonal that happens with a regular dpad.  Open field games like sports will benefit from the extra precision.  Even 2-way games like Astrosmash make use of pressure sensitivity, skiing does too.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, mr_me said:

Feeling better is subjective, and certainly people like what they are use to.  It's possible but I don't see why an Amico game would be programmed for eight directions.  You might be right about Finnigan Fox, would have to play it, but the programming was updated for the Amico controller.  I see mostly games using 2-way, 4-way, or maximum directions.  Four-way games will benefit by avoiding accidentally hitting a diagonal that happens with a regular dpad.  Open field games like sports will benefit from the extra precision.  Even 2-way games like Astrosmash make use of pressure sensitivity, skiing does too.

Correct, by 8-way I don't mean that they have to program all games like that, was merely just using a standard D-Pad as an example for something more traditional.  Of course they could always program a game to make use of less than 8 directions when appropriate.  

Something like Pac-Man obviously only needs 4 directions of movement. 

Edited by SegaSnatcher

11 minutes ago, SegaSnatcher said:

At the very least even shipping out some demo kiosks might be worth it.  It does seem like a console you really need to experience yourself to fully understand what its trying to achieve with its unique controller and I'm just extremely curious to see if it will surprise me.  I bought an Original Wii on launch because I got to try it out at a kiosk at a local mall. They actually had like 4 or 5 Wii kiosks setup in the food court. 

I had similar opinions about Wii back in 2006 as I do with Amico now.  While the OG Wii is far from my favorite Nintendo console I still enjoy it and had a gas playing Wii Sports back in the day with family and friends.  I'm actually not this stubborn "hardcore gamer" elitist that some might assume.  I like many styles of gameplay.  All I care about is whether the games are fun or not and if the controller doesn't get in the way of play.  

I think Kiosks would help. Where to put them would be the hard decision depending on budget. They could put them in Game Stop but there probably wouldn't be as much foot traffic as like Wal-Mart.

Just now, MrBeefy said:

I think Kiosks would help. Where to put them would be the hard decision depending on budget. They could put them in Game Stop but there probably wouldn't be as much foot traffic as like Wal-Mart.

Wal-Mart and Target seems more appropriate and what I would personally prefer.  Haven't gone to a Gamestop in years lol.     

Hopefully if that happens Flying Tigers will be one of the games I can demo.  If anything can sell me on Amico it will be a good SHMUP. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

I'm hoping to see more cornhole too. I think they should keep doing things like this. I think showing off Cornhole would help get some of those Wii fans. 

Another vote to see Cornhole ! I would think this would be the one they would want to show off. 

Edited by Cranker
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, mr_me said:

How would the games benefit from a traditional d-pad; none of the games would be designed for eight directions.  Amico controllers can have face buttons with an inexpensive add-on, if people think it helps.

Dpads or joysticks are just more comfortable for me. They are what most gamers are used to. Astrosmash is only 2 directions and I'd still prefer a dpad. 

2 hours ago, IntelliMission said:

And while the whole "I drive 8 hours to have the CEO of a company show me a console and then complain he puts his hand over my shoulder" deal reminds me of when Mr Garrison complained to his dad about the lack of abuse in his childhood, it's great that the lag drama was finally put to rest, and the fact that some people that are extremely negative about the console get the chance to try it (and feel the need to attend a special event to do it) is also interesting.

What are you going on about here?  I really don't care for this response.  First off I already said the event was under an hour from me.  Why wouldn't someone interested in gaming and new tech want to attend an event for an unreleased system?  Good or bad you're getting a sneak preview and a chance to try a system without having to buy it. 

And what does the distance I drove have to do with my complaint about the CEO putting his hand on my shoulder? I wasn't trying to create drama or hope someone molested me like in South Park and that's really messed up to equate it with that.  I didn't claim anything inappropriate or try to smear his name.  I said for me I don't like people I don't know putting their hands on me. Doesn't matter who it is. I recounted as many details from the event as I could remember and it made me uncomfortable and could make others uncomfortable at other events so I felt it was worth mentioning. 

11 hours ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

To clarify... there is a home button on the controller.  It's at the top of the screen and you can get in and out of games right from there.   :)

I stand corrected.  Thanks for the clarification.  I thought there may have been something I missed but I only saw a button on the system so thought that was the only way.  

(I just realized you can quote multiple people in the same post) 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

I think Ticket to Ride would be a good game on Amico. I have it on my phone and when we went out with people (precovid) we would pass and play my phone around. It was fun but not as much as the actual board game. Or since it is geared towards kids maybe First Journey would be a better option? https://www.daysofwonder.com/tickettoride/en/first-journey/

Ticket to Ride or any board games with hidden information would be a great fit for Amico cause of the screens on the controllers.  Board games by nature are a social and family friendly activity so another reason that works for Amico. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, SegaSnatcher said:

Wal-Mart and Target seems more appropriate and what I would personally prefer.  Haven't gone to a Gamestop in years lol.     

Hopefully if that happens Flying Tigers will be one of the games I can demo.  If anything can sell me on Amico it will be a good SHMUP. 

Agreed -- I can't remember the last time I have gone to Gamestop in person...I think its because I just don't like going to malls even before the pandemic. 

For any of the more recent console launches, I have stopped by the kiosks at Target or Meijer while shopping and decided for myself. I hope that if that's where they have interactive setups it includes showcasing the couch co-op aspect. Flying Tigers did look like a lot of fun and I hope its included in anything like that.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, SegaSnatcher said:

I kind of like the looks of Flying Tigers from what we saw. Shmup aren't my favorite genre but I do like them. I think the reason I'm less excited for it is because I can get those types of games readily.

37 minutes ago, Cranker said:

Another vote to see Cornhole ! I would think this would be the one they would want to show off. 

Yeah cornhole is the type of game you really don't get on other consoles. Switch has games like CG Darts and CG Bowling, but there are not as many options for those types of games than like shmups. I would like to see more of the games that utilize the controls like Wii Sports.

2 minutes ago, PeterPepper said:

Agreed -- I can't remember the last time I have gone to Gamestop in person...I think its because I just don't like going to malls even before the pandemic. 

For any of the more recent console launches, I have stopped by the kiosks at Target or Meijer while shopping and decided for myself. I hope that if that's where they have interactive setups it includes showcasing the couch co-op aspect. Flying Tigers did look like a lot of fun and I hope its included in anything like that.

Yeah places like Target and Wal-Mart would be better. GS unfortunately has more toys than games in it anymore. Well at least the ones around me. It doesn't help that as long as Wal-Mart stocks the game/controller it is usually cheaper.

I am generally pretty awful when it comes to flying/shooting games and shmups, so Flying Tigers is a game that wasn't even on my radar. But I'm pretty fired up about the footage of the game that I've seen.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, squirrelgotdead said:

I am generally pretty awful when it comes to flying/shooting games and shmups, so Flying Tigers is a game that wasn't even on my radar. But I'm pretty fired up about the footage of the game that I've seen.

It did look like a good game to introduce you to the genre if those aren't your thing.

• Like 1

Kiosks are a great idea! I suspect once the console is closer to launch the idea will be pitched if not already planned. I definitely think at this juncture the more people get their hands on it and provide unbiased and genuine feedback the better it is for market share, because people like me on the fringe will be more likely to see its strengths.

I honestly think, for me at least, until I play it myself I won't actually be able to form a complete opinion (which is what I think quite a few of us are saying).

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Cebus Capucinis said:

Kiosks are a great idea! I suspect once the console is closer to launch the idea will be pitched if not already planned. I definitely think at this juncture the more people get their hands on it and provide unbiased and genuine feedback the better it is for market share, because people like me on the fringe will be more likely to see its strengths.

I honestly think, for me at least, until I play it myself I won't actually be able to form a complete opinion (which is what I think quite a few of us are saying).

Exactly. The controls I think are the big thing people will need to hold to make up their minds.

I think it would help to show some different games like they did with Flying Tigers. We've seen a lot of Astrosmash. 

8 hours ago, IntelliMission said:

it's great that the lag drama was finally put to rest

I respectfully disagree. 🙂

I've said it before in another thread, but there can be two kind of lag. And personally I wasn't really worried by the input lag between the controller and the TV; there's always some with wireless controllers anyway, and even though we saw some concerning footage in the past, I completely believe there is no problem with that input lag. I feel more concerned about the input lag between the controller and its own screen, since input is sent to the system that sends the display back to the controller. And that's where some lag was seen by IGN Middle East and in a video of Bomb Squad (things clearly appeared on the TV screen then on the controller screen). Now to be fair, it may not be a big deal, because it really depends on the way the touch screen is used in games. And even for games that require the screen, like cards games, I don't think it will be a nuisance. At least I hope so.

That being said, the Crayola event highlighted another (possible) cause of concern: the controller battery. We've heard people claiming the controller battery died while they were playing and we've seen footage of controllers being recharged. Which doesn't look shocking in that type of context (I've worked on many conventions and fairs), except this one only lasted 4 hours. Now to be honest, I usually play for less than a hour, but a lot of people like to play for more than 4 hours. Of course they were using prototypes, so that doesn't prove anything.

But claiming the event answered all questions and removed every doubt seems exaggerated.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

They always said about five hours of continuous use on the controller battery.  There's nothing stopping you from using it while it charges either.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

Exactly. The controls I think are the big thing people will need to hold to make up their minds.

I think it would help to show some different games like they did with Flying Tigers. We've seen a lot of Astrosmash. 

One of the reasons I never was interested in an Xbox is the controller layout. The original Xbox controller was awful, and even the 360 and One controllers aren't great. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mr_me said:

They always said about five hours of continuous use on the controller battery.  There's nothing stopping you from using it while it charges either.

A wired cornhole controller? Nothing could possibly go wrong there. 😂

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, IntelliMission said:

I'm glad more and more people on both sides have the chance to try the machine.

I also hope they can make it to 10/10. Tommy said we will know in July, so I guess we will have news soon.

And while the whole "I drive 8 hours to have the CEO of a company show me a console and then complain he puts his hand over my shoulder" deal reminds me of when Mr Garrison complained to his dad about the lack of abuse in his childhood, it's great that the lag drama was finally put to rest, and the fact that some people that are extremely negative about the console get the chance to try it (and feel the need to attend a special event to do it) is also interesting.

roots.genoa had a good point that there could be other potential concerns. 

Your post reminds me of when Mr Garrison played the triangle for the kids in class

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, PeterPepper said:

image.png.a6ed44895ad10e1709213ad9288e1196.png

3 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

A wired cornhole controller? Nothing could possibly go wrong there. 😂

You guys going to play cornhole for five hours?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mr_me said:

You guys going to play cornhole for five hours?

Last man standing 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1