IGNORED

Atari 400/800 vs 5200 Game Differences

Tempest

I've finally gotten around to making a section on my site about all the differences between Atari 400/800 and 5200 ports of games.  Check it out if you're interested (or even if you're not):  http://www.atariprotos.com/other/gamediff/gamediff.htm

Also if you see something wrong or something I've missed, please let me know.  There are lots of things to look for and I'm sure something slipped by me.

• Like 11

12 minutes ago, Tempest said:

I've finally gotten around to making a section on my site about all the differences between Atari 400/800 and 5200 ports of games.  Check it out if you're interested (or even if you're not):  http://www.atariprotos.com/other/gamediff/gamediff.htm

I was always confused by Dig Dug.  My friend had a 8-bit cart that was identical to the 5200 and not what the 8-bit version was supposed to look like.  Now it makes sense.

Might be interesting to mention that Frogger has three different official ports to the 8-bit and the Sierra ones are completely different from the 5200 version.

22 minutes ago, zzip said:

I Might be interesting to mention that Frogger has three different official ports to the 8-bit and the Sierra ones are completely different from the 5200 version.

That I think is outside the scope of my page.

3 hours ago, Tempest said:

Also if you see something wrong or something I've missed, please let me know.  There are lots of things to look for and I'm sure something slipped by me.

It's cool that you were able to make this website with the comparisons and some history.  Thanks.  However, I feel not mentioning the analog controls (Star Raiders too) on the 5200 games misses out some important differences imho.  For example, there is a big difference in feel of the game with Centipede using analog sticks or trackball for the 5200.  You also didn't mention the sound of 5200 Centipede is also more accurate.  Your Pengo comparison is spot on with the 1 voice on the 8bit version.   

Edited by phuzaxeman
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, phuzaxeman said:

It's cool that you were able to make this website with the comparisons and some history.  Thanks.  However, I feel not mentioning the analog controls on the 5200 games misses out some important differences imho.  For example, there is a big difference in feel of the game with Centipede using analog sticks or trackball for the 5200.  You also didn't mention the sound of 5200 Centipede is also more accurate.  Your Pengo comparison is spot on with the 1 voice on the 8bit version.   

THAT is why I prefer Big Sexy over the 8-bit when it comes to gameplay. The difference between 5200 Centipede and the 8-bit version is clear, the 5200 versions of most games are superior because I believe that more care was taken to make sure it is the best it could be, having played both I should know. This is what make Big Sexy superior for most games when compared to their original 8-bit counterparts, even I myself, having seen the 400/800 "Atari Family" series of ads just months before getting my first 5200 in May 1983 for my 17th Birthday, made me a little nervous but when I put in Centipede and played it the difference is loud and clear, it's so nice to have both an XEGS and a 5200 so I can compare the two ports I should know, now if only my CX53 Trak-Ball can be repaired so I can enjoy it, Missile Commend, and Millipede the way that only the 5200 can.

12 minutes ago, Cafeman said:

It's an interesting page Tempest.  I remember the mentioned Atari 5200 Pac-Man bug where the monsters stay blue Forever on the key levels. I must have had an early version, the page says it was revised eventually.

It was.  I think the way to tell the carts apart are the size of the 'name stripe' on the cart.  If it's thin then it's the early version, if it's thick then it's more than likely the later version.  Can't be 100% sure about that.

20 minutes ago, phuzaxeman said:

It's cool that you were able to make this website with the comparisons and some history.  Thanks.  However, I feel not mentioning the analog controls (Star Raiders too) on the 5200 games misses out some important differences imho.  For example, there is a big difference in feel of the game with Centipede using analog sticks or trackball for the 5200.  You also didn't mention the sound of 5200 Centipede is also more accurate.  Your Pengo comparison is spot on with the 1 voice on the 8bit version.   

I was going to mention the analog controls for almost every game, but it seemed unnecessary like mentioning that games use the keypad instead of the keyboard.  I'll think about adding that though.

I didn't mention the sounds in Centipede because I didn't do a comparison for that game since it's completely different from the 400/800 version.

• Like 2

I think the biggest previously undocumented differences I found were:

1. The backgrounds in AE are different than in all other versions.  Somehow I thought they were the same as some of the ones in the Apple II version

2. Astro Chase has been made easier by reducing the number of mines you have to shoot from 16 to 8.  The game still sucks though

3. The single brick platforms in BBSB have been widened to two bricks in most places.  It does make the game a little easier.

4. Frogger II is missing the two player mode!  I still have no explanation for that.

5. The scoring in Space Invaders is completely different and the score adds an extra digit to compensate for this

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tempest said:

I might have posted this somewhere else before, but in the 5200 version of Space Invaders and when you hit the saucer flying over head and the score flashes 60, bug! You DON'T get 60 points! No extra points!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tempest said:

Did you skip pole position on purpose?

17 minutes ago, Swami said:

Did you skip pole position on purpose?

What's different in Pole Position?

9 hours ago, SoundGammon said:

I might have posted this somewhere else before, but in the 5200 version of Space Invaders and when you hit the saucer flying over head and the score flashes 60, bug! You DON'T get 60 points! No extra points!

Yeah I had read about that.  I should add it.

17 hours ago, Tempest said:

It was.  I think the way to tell the carts apart are the size of the 'name stripe' on the cart.  If it's thin then it's the early version, if it's thick then it's more than likely the later version.  Can't be 100% sure about that.

I was going to mention the analog controls for almost every game, but it seemed unnecessary like mentioning that games use the keypad instead of the keyboard.  I'll think about adding that though.

I didn't mention the sounds in Centipede because I didn't do a comparison for that game since it's completely different from the 400/800 version.

On your Super Breakout comparison, you mentioned the easter egg on the 8bit but you didn't describe it.  What is the easter egg?

2 minutes ago, phuzaxeman said:

On your Super Breakout comparison, you mentioned the easter egg on the 8bit but you didn't describe it.  What is the easter egg?

There's a picture at the bottom of the page.  It brings up the message "I Love Susie and Benji Too!"  which were Larry Kaplan's kids.

1 minute ago, Tempest said:

There's a picture at the bottom of the page.  It brings up the message "I Love Susie and Benji Too!"  which were Larry Kaplan's kids.

Oh cool, that's pretty neat.

One other things that's different on the 5200 is when the ball hits the bar or wall, it creates a melody (similar to Kaboom) where the 8bit is the same sound with the bricks, walls, and bar.  Just those minor details.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, phuzaxeman said:

One other things that's different on the 5200 is when the ball hits the bar or wall, it creates a melody (similar to Kaboom) where the 8bit is the same sound with the bricks, walls, and bar.  Just those minor details.

I missed that.  I'll add it to my page.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Lostdragon said:

Great work by all. 

As a fan of Battle Of The Ports, the work your doing can prove to be an excellent research tool for channels comparing games. 

I'm a bit fan of Battle of the Ports myself.  I just wish he'd do more classic games. :)

• Like 1

One of the things about Real Sports Tennis on the 5200 is controls.  The 5200 has separate buttons for forehand and backhand (top/bottom buttons) while the placements of the shots use the all #'s on the keypads.  When you don't press any keypads, the return is a default 5 which is in the middle of the court.  The programming on the 5200 takes advantage of all buttons/keypads for cx52 sticks.  

1 minute ago, phuzaxeman said:

One of the things about Real Sports Tennis on the 5200 is controls.  The 5200 has separate buttons for forehand and backhand (top/bottom buttons) while the placements of the shots use the all #'s on the keypads.  When you don't press any keypads, the return is a default 5 which is in the middle of the court.  The programming on the 5200 takes advantage of all buttons/keypads for cx52 sticks.  

How does this work on the 8-bits then?

6 minutes ago, Tempest said:

How does this work on the 8-bits then?

8bits you have to point in the direction of where you want to hit.  Forehand and backhand requires pointing forward or back and pressing the button. 

Same concept like 5200 Intellidiscs where you can run to the right but shoot left (#4) using the keypad.  Playing on the 5200 using both keypad and stick independently makes the game have a different feel to the game and adds more complexity.

5200 also uses the trackball.

Edited by phuzaxeman
  • Like 1

It would be funny if a programmer increased the heads on these tennis players and made a bobble head size and recreated the introduction screen to say "Realsports Tennis." 5200 tennis is actually a really good game and sets the foundation to next generation tennis games. 

• Like 1