IGNORED

Season 11 ~ Week 23 ~ Beat The Leaders 1

Vocelli

2 hours ago, Lauren Tyler said:

All right, what is your strategy for this game?

Check out this vid I made when I was 13. It’s very cringy for me to watch but the tips are the ones I use:

On 7/12/2021 at 6:33 PM, Lauren Tyler said:

Try using a Genesis controller.  May not be an actual joystick, but they're still durable.

Also I hate hate hate the sega genesis controller. The d-pad is like a big mushy button, and it’s completely useless for fast movement games like this. 

Edited by Botbird208
Forgot words
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Botbird208 said:

Check out this vid I made when I was 13. It’s very cringy for me to watch but the tips are the ones I use

Botbird’s been a beast for a bit! Nice strategy! Waiting on that 190k submission now lol. 

I’ve played a few versions of Dragonfire in HSCs lately and I like this one the most (it’s the only one I’ve played on original hardware, so that definitely makes a difference). Haven’t been able to beat my best yet after checking out the vid. Here’s to some big increases soon. 

77933F0C-E02E-4271-A08D-40555777DB0A.thumb.jpeg.ac7b611cbbf2589b6a95f197bb3ef66e.jpeg

Dragonfire: 16820

I found that with the faster dragons, it is critical to not just move left/right, but to also incorporate diagonal, circular, or figure 8 movements.  If you just move left/right, the dragon's shots (especially the white dragon) are timed perfectly to take you down. 

I never did perfect the upper left diagonal movement upon entering the dragon room that @Botbird208 demonstrated in his video.  For this to work, you have to push left to enter the room, and then immediately switch to the diagonal direction.  If you're too slow switching to the diagonal direction with the faster dragons, you're dead.  I had better success entering the room when the dragon was facing the left, and then moving straight up. 

I also never figured out how to consistently pick up the treasures that appear toward the bottom of the screen in the middle of the room.  I would frequently have the room clear and then lose multiple lives trying to pick up the last treasure or two in these awkward spots.

My biggest frustration with this game is if you happened to be moving to the left when getting hit by a dragon, you may inadvertently just barely move your next man into the room near the entrance.  If you don't realize this immediately and push the joystick to the right to ensure safety, you'll often get spanked with additional lost lives.  This was the one scenario where I felt "cheated" by the game, losing 2-3 lives when I should have only lost one life.

Overall, I really enjoyed this game and am glad the decision was made to switch to this from Cosmic Ark.  This was my favorite among the Imagic titles selected for this season.

image.thumb.png.32aac4adcf5319370e9808c383681afa.png

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, kermit73 said:

My biggest frustration with this game is if you happened to be moving to the left when getting hit by a dragon, you may inadvertently just barely move your next man into the room near the entrance.  If you don't realize this immediately and push the joystick to the right to ensure safety, you'll often get spanked with additional lost lives.  This was the one scenario where I felt "cheated" by the game, losing 2-3 lives when I should have only lost one life.

+1 still working on making this not a thing for me haha

• Like 1

19 hours ago, kermit73 said:

Dragonfire: 16820

I found that with the faster dragons, it is critical to not just move left/right, but to also incorporate diagonal, circular, or figure 8 movements.  If you just move left/right, the dragon's shots (especially the white dragon) are timed perfectly to take you down. 

I never did perfect the upper left diagonal movement upon entering the dragon room that @Botbird208 demonstrated in his video.  For this to work, you have to push left to enter the room, and then immediately switch to the diagonal direction.  If you're too slow switching to the diagonal direction with the faster dragons, you're dead.  I had better success entering the room when the dragon was facing the left, and then moving straight up. 

I also never figured out how to consistently pick up the treasures that appear toward the bottom of the screen in the middle of the room.  I would frequently have the room clear and then lose multiple lives trying to pick up the last treasure or two in these awkward spots.

Overall, I really enjoyed this game and am glad the decision was made to switch to this from Cosmic Ark.  This was my favorite among the Imagic titles selected for this season.

If you move just left and right in good timing, the dragons shots will never take you down. You just need to be out of phase with the dragon, as in when he is the farthest to the right, you need to be all the way to the left, and vise versa.

There is a method to pick up the treasures foolproof every time. Maybe I should make another video about it, but I don’t know if I can do that before the weekend is over. I can show my method now because even though it’s he same as in my original video, I really didn’t explain it well with my 13 year old vocabulary. There are ways to not get screwed by the cheap deaths too. The diagonal movement is 10x easier with a joystick, especially one with short throws. I feel like I’m better at this game now than I was then, but I can’t buy a new joystick and have to take this one apart multiple times a game.

Im confused as to why no one has posted, I feel like they all have high scores on their backlog but their not going to post until Sunday night or something. Sorry about this post being too long.

1262E54F-3144-42C3-A7DC-AACAD6B56A5F.jpeg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Botbird208 said:

Im confused as to why no one has posted, I feel like they all have high scores on their backlog but their not going to post until Sunday night or something. Sorry about this post being too long.

While we do typically see a bunch of scores come in on Sunday, I think it's because folks are busy during the week and don't have much time to play until the weekend.  I don't think it's because people have incredible scores that they are waiting until the last minute to post.

This is a challenging title, and until you've mastered the white dragon rounds, scoring anything more than 10-15k is going to be a stretch.  It wouldn't surprise me if the 2nd place score this week ends up being <20k.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Botbird208 said:

... Im confused as to why no one has posted, I feel like they all have high scores on their backlog but their not going to post until Sunday night or something ...

Although some (like myself sometimes) do not (and in my case, usually *cannot*) post until Sunday due to work constraints, I personally feel that it is unlikely that anyone will match even the first score you posted, much less so this one. I can usually pick up pretty quickly on a game I've never played - if I don't master a game within 10 tries, I usually stop playing it altogether due to not enough time before the next game rolls around. This particular title would take me weeks or months of constant playing to get as familiar with the game dynamics as one would need to be to put up the kind of numbers you're putting up here. I honestly don't think anyone is sandbagging ... I think you're just that good at this game .. and by "good", I really mean "much better than anyone I've ever seen play the game ... by far".

• Like 3