IGNORED

Demon Attack and 1983 Demo Not Working With LTO Flash?

I've been testing some roms with my new LTO Flash and I've found two that I can't seem to get to work.  First Demon Attack.  It seems to start ok but then my ship will randomly turn red and stop and the score will start to randomly go up.  Eventually the game will freeze.  Next the 1983 Demo.  This also seems to start ok but then when it goes to play the first demo it will crash and return to the LTO Flash menu (Demon Attack doesn't).

I'm sure the LTO Flash is fine and my system was just given a good refurbishing so I'm thinking it's probably the roms I'm using.  They both have a ! in the title so they're supposed be verified as working, but who knows?  Any suggestions?

It's gotta be a bad dump/bad rom or something.. Demon Attack works fine on my LTO. I played it the other day, clear into the 2nd wave/loop and didn't experience any problems. I bet trying a different rom, like the one above will probably fix your problem. ?

• Like 1

I haven't tried to use either of the ROMs attached above, but both of these are "naked" .bin - format ROMs, and they are identical. They require a .cfg companion file. Imagic games use a non-standard ROM layout compared to the original Mattel ROMs. If you don't have a .cfg file, the UI will attempt to guess which of the 10 'canonical' .cfg files to use based on a checksum of the ROM data.

This suggests some possibilities:

• There is no corresponding .cfg file next to your ROM
  • There is one, but it is wrong
  • The checksum of the ROM doesn't match a "known" Demon Attack dump
  • The checksum does match, but the internal mapping of "known ROM" to "valid .cfg" is incorrect

If you could both locate your corresponding .cfg files and put them up for comparison, the problem should become clear.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, intvsteve said:

I haven't tried to use either of the ROMs attached above, but both of these are "naked" .bin - format ROMs, and they are identical. They require a .cfg companion file. Imagic games use a non-standard ROM layout compared to the original Mattel ROMs. If you don't have a .cfg file, the UI will attempt to guess which of the 10 'canonical' .cfg files to use based on a checksum of the ROM data.

This suggests some possibilities:

• There is no corresponding .cfg file next to your ROM
  • There is one, but it is wrong
  • The checksum of the ROM doesn't match a "known" Demon Attack dump
  • The checksum does match, but the internal mapping of "known ROM" to "valid .cfg" is incorrect

If you could both locate your corresponding .cfg files and put them up for comparison, the problem should become clear.

Demon Attack (1982)(Imagic).bin Demon Attack (1982)(Imagic).cfg

I think I figured it out.  What I'm seeing is some weird two player co-op mode where when the player turns red the second controller controls him.  I think I was accidentally activating it by starting the game by pressing enter instead of 1.  If push 1 it works normally.  My bad. :)

BTW I still can't find a working rom for the 1983 demo.  Not a huge deal, but I'm curious as to why it keeps crashing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I tried to run Demon Attack in jzintv using the correct cfg file (from Joe's list and previous discussions held here on AA) but all I get is a flashing wine red and black screen for a while and then the emulator crashes. What can that be due to? I even tried to use bin2rom to combine the two bin + cfg files into one but it made no difference.

I don't have access to a real Intellivision + LTO at home so I can't compare with how it works in real life.

Edit: Aha, the file uploaded by Intelligentleman works, the old .int file I had since before didn't.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Intelligentleman said:

Yes I believe so. Starting the game with the "7" button gives you the tracer shots, for example.

Well that explains it.  If anyone has a working file and cfg for that 1983 demo I'd love to see it.