IGNORED

Any idea why my controllers don’t respond often on my Intellivision II?

If the keypad mylar is in good shape, the next thing is wiring/connections. Check the wiring harness inside the controller (photo 1) and use a multimeter to check for continuity at the plug end (photo 2). A little DeoxIT on the plug wouldn't hurt either.

post-39531-0-93091000-1517092333.jpg.e20cc1aceb0eba2706b621a1ad7b46c5.jpg

post-39531-0-85444200-1517092334.jpg.c28ae83bc80c90ef3e9d66939f9df2c7.jpg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mthompson said:

If the keypad mylar is in good shape, the next thing is wiring/connections. Check the wiring harness inside the controller (photo 1) and use a multimeter to check for continuity at the plug end (photo 2). A little DeoxIT on the plug wouldn't hurt either.

post-39531-0-93091000-1517092333.jpg.e20cc1aceb0eba2706b621a1ad7b46c5.jpg

post-39531-0-85444200-1517092334.jpg.c28ae83bc80c90ef3e9d66939f9df2c7.jpg

I don’t have a continuity checker on my multimeter since it’s so cheap, but i noticed an abnormally high resistance on 5. It had a resistance of 77 ohms compared to the 4 to 10 on the other pins. Also, the mylar seems to be in good shape, but there is a brown coating covering some of the traces, it looks almost like it’s burnt but it’s not.

Edited by Intellivision_II

Is it that a button works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't, inconsistently.  Or do some buttons work and others don't consistently.  Pin five is ground, if I'm not mistaken, so it would affect everything.

Edited by mr_me

Just now, mr_me said:

Is it that a button works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't, inconsistently.  Or do some buttons work and others don't consistently.

Not all buttons work, only a few buttons work, i don’t remember exactly which buttons on the keypad don’t work. I have only one side button working which is the bottom left button.

49 minutes ago, mr_me said:

If it's the wire than the cable has to be replaced.  First swap the controllers to make sure the problem is the controller.  

Uhhh, none of my games are allowing me to progress past the title screen….    Edit: got past, idk why it was doing that, the first column buttons don’t work at all

Edited by Intellivision_II

1 hour ago, Intellivision_II said:

Bump!

What are you bumping?

Have you swapped the controllers between left and right ports, as mr_me recommended in post #8?

1) swap the controllers and confirm that the issues follow the controller.

If the issue remains on the specific port, then it is a console issue

If the issue follows the controller, then it is a controller issue

2) Assuming the issue follows the controller to the other port, then since you've opened one controller, then this means you can now open the other controller.  Now you can swap the cables between the controllers, but not the mylar.

If the issue remains with the mylar, then it is a mylar issue.

If the issue follows the cable, then it is a cable issue.

Based on all that testing you will now know if it is a console issue, a mylar issue, or a cable issue.

Replace whatever is defective.