IGNORED

Easiest way to fry an Incognito ? Did it twice

Frankie

I have 4 Incognito's. At one point they all worked. I started with one of the original's and all was happy. The new batch came out and I bought a spare. Somehow I fried my working one. No video output. I thought it was something with my Sophia. I swapped my spare in and it worked. Huh.. ok, well, I'll try not to do that again.

Then I did it again. Incognito stopped working. No video. xilinx chip seems fine, I can read and write it. .. Bought another two more Incognitos. Have a nice working one and a spare.

Is there any troubleshooting I can do? Can I swap out that big square chip?

4 hours ago, shoestring said:

How did you brick it ?

If you have the original boards, then this might help.

I honestly don't know how I did it. I was working on it with the cover off and I may have shorted it out (touching the back of the board to some metal).

I thought it was just a fluke, then I did it with another one.  I have both an original and a first batch Lotharek.

Edited by Frankie

Unless the Xilinx chip is boiling hot, it's possible this is just a corrupted PLCC flash ROM. Buy yourself a TL866 USB EPROM programmer and reprogram the chip before you assume the worst.

When you say 'No video output', do you mean a signal with a black screen, or no signal detected by the TV/monitor at all?

3 hours ago, flashjazzcat said:

Unless the Xilinx chip is boiling hot, it's possible this is just a corrupted PLCC flash ROM. Buy yourself a TL866 USB EPROM programmer and reprogram the chip before you assume the worst.

When you say 'No video output', do you mean a signal with a black screen, or no signal detected by the TV/monitor at all?

Well, the monitor goes from power-save to on, but it's just all black. Not sure what that is considered.

21 hours ago, flashjazzcat said:

That just means the OS failed to boot. So you should first try to reflash the ROM using the aforementioned external programmer.

Do you have a jed file for the xilinix chip so I can-reflash that as well? I figure I should make sure everything has been updated. My USB EPROM programmer arrives today. I can pull that image from my good incognito. (I can't pull the xilinix chip firmware because this board version has no jtag header).

3 hours ago, flashjazzcat said:

Sure. Try reflashing the ROM first though. There is absolutely nothing to be gained from flashing the CPLD if it starts working again (the update with extra features not yet being ready).

It's ALIVE! I reflashed the SST chip (I don't know what it's really called) and my incognito came back to life!

• Like 8