IGNORED

Ghostbusters?

ApolloBoy

Has anyone figured out the scheme of how ghostbusters creates the account # from your name and final money? That would be great if you could type in a word and a account # and get lots o' money :D or just figure out how to do it to get a certan amount, etc...

I know there are some accounts out there with certan values already, but it would be nice to create an account with just enough cash to get the good stuff, bust some ghosts, and then go cream the stay puft marshmellow man...

Spicy

Yes, it is. On Atari version - on tittle screen - You can hear "GHOSTBUSTERS" voice and smile... Also, You can see karaoke style text of Ray Parker Jr. song. Is beautyfull song...

Some tips: name: HERBIE

accont number: 05250624  :P

Umm..Spicy - Read the above msg - there is a hidden account listed there :)

There was a program made for the computer that would allow you to create a password with any user name and dollar value you wanted. I think it's in one of the old Compute! magazines.

Anyway...since any money that you spend must be earned back by the end of the game, anything over $25k is rather pointless.

Yes, it was, but I was disappointed.  My friends c64 version had more digitized speech!

I found Ghostbusters circa 1987 while rummaging through some disks I had borrowed. When the title screen came up and the speech announced "Ghostbusters!" I was totally astounded (well, I was about 12 years old at the time). However, after careful listening and comparing to the output of S.A.M. (Software Automatic Mouth, the speech synth from Don't Ask Software), I would conclude the speech, certainly in the Atari version, is synthesized, not digitized. It's far more economical on space, something of great priority in the 64 KB personal computer era. If indeed the speech of the Atari version was synthetic, I'd guess it should have been possible to have included more.

Yes, it is. On Atari version - on tittle screen - You can hear "GHOSTBUSTERS" voice and smile... Also, You can see karaoke style text of Ray Parker Jr. song. Is beautyfull song...

Some tips: name: HERBIE

accont number: 05250624  :P

The tune for that song was actually stolen from a "Huey Lewis and The News" song called "I want a new drug".

They also went thru 60 songs before deciding on Ray Parker Jr.'s song for the movie. He complained it was hard to find rhymes for "Ghostbusters".

Hey, I asked this awhile ago but didn't get much of a response- has anyone got past Sta-Puft & actually made it into Zuul? How close do you have to get to him? Is it like a single-pixel or scan line? It's damn hard!!!

• 12 years later...

This is one of the games I absolutely LOVED when I was a kid. I was around 13 years old and I played this a zillion times. I still like it from time to time.

It's an odd game since, when you face it today, it's quite a boring game… but there is also something magic around it, probably because Ghostbusters I is such an awesome movie.

I never care about versions on other (8bit) platforms, since I only have Atari 8bit.

I love the scene where I have to pass the Marshmallow man!

• Like 1

When the title screen came up and the speech announced "Ghostbusters!" I was totally astounded (well, I was about 12 years old at the time). However, after careful listening and comparing to the output of S.A.M. (Software Automatic Mouth, the speech synth from Don't Ask Software), I would conclude the speech, certainly in the Atari version, is synthesized, not digitized.

Yes, that's a pretty old thread, years old. But probably, despite its age, let me correct this: The speech is not synthezised, but it is indeed digitized. It is just heavily compressed by the "Electronic Speech Systems of Berkeley" algorithm. The same type of speech compression was also used for "Kenedy Approach".

The List of Ghostbusters video games implies that the C64 and Atari versions were released at/around the same time.

Here in the UK my recollection, e.g. times drawing the logo on graph paper to then input onto the Atari wanting a port :D, was that the A8 version came much later than the C64 version?

However, the speech replay routines can of course be played on the A8.

gbreplay.xex

• Like 1

I think this game deserves a remake! I've had the idea for sometime now but my programming skills are still somewhat limited. And I'm not saying it should be done but here's some ideas I've had:

1) To start off, keep the classic title screen, but out-the-door with almost everything else. 2) Resuse some of the basic skeleton of the game but bring it to a more advanced and openworld level. This would include a remade road system that allows you to drive anywhere in the city (so you have to navigate to your destination) and more exciting driveability features to the Ecto-1. And once you arrive, allow the ability to go inside buildings including enter rooms, climb stair cases, pick up items, and possibly talk to people with the ability to hit the road at anytime whether or not you completed the mission (with good or bad consequences). That would make hunting ghosts more exciting and creepy because they could apear in random rooms as well as (possibly) fly to the roads or other buildings in worse case scenarios to add more of a challange, epecially as you advance (maybe just buildings because of the limitations of the computer). 3) I'm also thinking that the Ghostbusters headquarters should added where you can manage your finances, supplies/items, receive calls (missions), and otherthings. And add some bosses and a story related to the first moive to make it more complete.

It might seem outrageous to do a remake with all those features and gameplay, but I believe it's not unreasonably doable! Imagine the art that could into it! The biggest limitation I can is when going from the road to a building, and vise versa. The new scenery would need to be loaded everytime.

• Like 4

I think this game deserves a remake! I've had the idea for sometime now but my programming skills are still somewhat limited. And I'm not saying it should be done but here's some ideas I've had:

It might seem outrageous to do a remake with all those features and gameplay, but I believe it's not unreasonably doable! Imagine the art that could into it! The biggest limitation I can is when going from the road to a building, and vise versa. The new scenery would need to be loaded everytime.

I too have thought about this, though not in the same terms. I always thought something like New Ghostbusters II would be cool.

Though I do like the original game, it is very endearing, but that may just be nostalgia. It would be cool to have a "modernized" streamlined version that made it a more enjoyable experience.

• Like 1

I too have thought about this, though not in the same terms. I always thought something like New Ghostbusters II would be cool.

Though I do like the original game, it is very endearing, but that may just be nostalgia. It would be cool to have a "modernized" streamlined version that made it a more enjoyable experience.

That's a good thought too. And Ghostbusters II would be cool and probably more worth the effort. I like the NES version.

I just think we have the capability to make MUCH better games for the Atari computer's so I don't see why we shouldn't. I just started using CC65 the other day (after all these years) and there's a lot of power there! So much easier to keep everything in check than with old school programming, yet you get the best of both worlds since you can combine assembly language routines with C.

Anyway won't go off topic more, just saying.

• Like 1