IGNORED

Arcade MAME HSC 2021 Gorf

This round we play the arcade classic Gorf. Last played here at AA in 2013

The player controls a spaceship that must blast its way through five missions, each a different challenge. The game features a pistol grip joystick and robotic speech synthesis that heckles the player during gameplay. The player's goal is to defeat the Gorfian Empire in five separate missions. The first mission is like Space Invaders. The second mission pits the player against two squads of diving ships, each squad has a special ship that fires long laser beams. The third mission is like Galaxian. The fourth mission has the player fight a number of enemies that spiral toward the player shooting fireballs. The fifth mission has the player fight the Gorfian Flagship. The Flagship's shields must first be battered down, then the player must hit the Flagship in a tiny exhaust port in order to destroy it.

Game Information:

Game Name: Gorf

Manufacturer: Midway/1981

Dipswitches: 3 lives. Bonus life after Mission 5.

ROMset: gorf.zip

ROM Location: http://www.romnation...me103/Gorf.html

Deadline to post scores is July 25th 2021 at 12PM EST

Final high scores -

roadrunner 13,120 +11 points +3 points for winning round
AtariWarlord 10,130 +10 points
jblenkle 5,910 +9 points
Floyd Turbo 5,770 +8 points
Krytol 5,240 +7 points
VectorGamer 5,090 +6 points
Hero2millions 3,480 +5 points

Link to arcade manual scan here -

https://www.gamesdatabase.org/Media/SYSTEM/Arcade//Manual/formated/Gorf_-_1981_-_Midway_Games.pdf

Any corrections please post

118124212135.jpg

Edited by roadrunner

Is there a emulation issue with the enemies bullets on the first screen?
I see some had problems with gameplay being slow and collision detection in 2013 in this HSC.

Quote - 

I had known of Gorf for many years, but this was my first time ever playing it. I can't say I'm a fan. The collision detection really feels like it favors enemy bullets; the player ship can't move the full width of the screen, yet enemies can take positions outside the range of player movement; and, unless it's MAME 0.144 doing things improperly, the game stutters constantly (and my CPU never went below 70% idle, so it wasn't a processor bottleneck). Anyway, the best I did was 13,240.

onmode-ky

Decided to give this another go after losing only one life this time on the first board. Galaxians screen is glitchy in MAME. I would've done a lot better on an actual Gorf cabinet but don't feel like driving an hour and paying $25 at an arcade I don't like going to.

20210719_112243.jpg

On 7/15/2021 at 11:38 AM, VectorGamer said:

Was just playing this. Won't be submitting a score because I can't see the enemies bullets on the first screen.

I had the exact same problem with Star Castle (either mine or the enemy's shots were invisible). Never figured out if it was a game problem or an emulator problem -- had never played the machine before.

7 hours ago, AtariWarlord said:

I had the exact same problem with Star Castle (either mine or the enemy's shots were invisible). Never figured out if it was a game problem or an emulator problem -- had never played the machine before.

The arcade game is fine. There's a way you can adjust the intensity of the vector graphics in MAME. I actually wrote an article about how to do this a long time ago.

• Thanks 1