IGNORED

Gauging interest: Jaguar HDMI adapter

Doomy Doomer

Hey All,

To help round out my Jaguar AV adapters, I'm working on a new product that will output 720p through HDMI called the Jag2HD. It's not a cheap project, so the initial batch will be small. I'm gauging interest to see if it's worth making more. 

Features:

• Plug and Play, no other adapters needed
  • Analog RGB to Digital HDMI upscaled to 720p
  • No external power source needed
  • Low input lag
  • HDMI comes out the side to accommodate the Jaguars length and shallow entertainment shelves
  • Aspect Ratio: 4:3 or 16:9 (for you crazy people out there)
  • Works with Jaguar GameDrive
  • Custom designed 3D printed shell
  • Competitively priced compared to multiple cables + scaler solutions

image.thumb.png.5b8daad59bb3812269ab11a48ba61283.png

(Above: Prototype may change, will most likely be printed in black)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Literally see this the day after I got your Jag2Gen adapter and a Hyperkin HDMI adapter! I guess I picked the wrong week to start buying things. 

I'd be interested in it pending on pricepoint since I already bought the Jag 2 Gen and the Hyperkin (Basically $60 all in). I can return the Hyperkin HDMI adapter through Amazon but there is no way to do anything with the Jag2Gen I bought as it is from a vendor. 

2 minutes ago, UHATEIT said:

Literally see this the day after I got your Jag2Gen adapter and a Hyperkin HDMI adapter! I guess I picked the wrong week to start buying things. 

I'd be interested in it pending on pricepoint since I already bought the Jag 2 Gen and the Hyperkin (Basically $60 all in). I can return the Hyperkin HDMI adapter through Amazon but there is no way to do anything with the Jag2Gen I bought as it is from a vendor. 

I wouldn't stress it. The picture quality and features are on par with what you already have. Also, the Jag2GEN can open up using an OSSC or RetroTink 5x to get 1080P+ out. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Doomy Doomer said:
4 hours ago, Goochman said:

Yes. Because this adapter needs the DSP side, you'd lose the ability to use a Jaglink.

Yeah, I know it's probably me and 1 other guy, but this is a deal-killer for me. How about at least providing passthrough? Is it the power you need? The 9v from the vid connector isn't providing enough? If you need the power, I'd rather have the option of passthrough + external power, where external power is only needed if you also plug in a JagLink or something.

20 minutes ago, cubanismo said:

Yeah, I know it's probably me and 1 other guy, but this is a deal-killer for me. How about at least providing passthrough? Is it the power you need? The 9v from the vid connector isn't providing enough? If you need the power, I'd rather have the option of passthrough + external power, where external power is only needed if you also plug in a JagLink or something.

Hey, no worries. This product will not be for everyone, which is why I also make the other adapters that don't use the DSP. As for the AV pwr, passthrough, etc - like most things, it isn't that simple. First, I'm fairly proficient with the Jaguar's DSP and AV outputs. I designed the Jag2GEN and Co-created the Jag2SNES with Helder, both of which use pin 11A and regulate it to 5v. The voltage has never been the problem with pin 11A though, it's the amperage. The current setup for the Jag2HD showed the best picture quality in this configuration without external power or AV pin 11A. 

But talk to me about pass through. Is that an RJ11 connector? I thought the DSP side of the JagLink when into a controller IC and then out to the RJ11 but it's been since the '90s since I've used one.

30 minutes ago, Doomy Doomer said:

But talk to me about pass through. Is that an RJ11 connector? I thought the DSP side of the JagLink when into a controller IC and then out to the RJ11 but it's been since the '90s since I've used one.

That's correct. You can find some information about the JagLink here:

http://mdgames.de/jaglink.htm

The JagLink II (which allows connecting more than 2 consoles together) is different.

So unless you want to incorporate the JagLink circuitry inside your product, the easiest way would be to replicate the DSP card edge connector, to let people plug in a standard JagLink or JagLink II.

7 minutes ago, Zerosquare said:

That's correct. You can find some information about the JagLink here:

http://mdgames.de/jaglink.htm

The JagLink II (which allows connecting more than 2 consoles together) is different.

So unless you want to incorporate the JagLink circuitry inside your product, the easiest way would be to replicate the DSP card edge connector, to let people plug in a standard JagLink or JagLink II.

Great info, thanks. I'd have to do testing to see if the DSP can power the JagLink and the Jag2HD at the same time without issue. Problem is, I don't own a JagLink or another Jag to test.

Just so I'm not stringing anyone along here: For the moment this is not a planned feature but I'll support it if possible down the road.

12 minutes ago, CyranoJ said:

Couple of questions (Sorry!)

1. Please define "low input lag" - because >1 frame can be a problem.

2. Is this using a custom FPGA, or some off the shelf HDMI chip (and if so, which one?)

Thanks!

I would say it feels a little more latency than a RetroTink 2x but not enough to cause any issues while I've been testing it. I don't have a Time Sleuth or anything like that to really give you a number but if you're concerned then I'd stick with what you already have.

I'm using both custom and off the shelf components.

Just now, Atari_JaguarVCS said:

I’ve just signed up in the waiting list, hopefully your able to ship it to me when its in stock via eBay as I’m in the UK and with the full vat thing being an issue these days it’ll be easier on eBay. 

Great! Yeah I'll throw a few up on eBay for that reason. It really sucks not being able to sell direct. 

• Like 1