IGNORED

Atari dev cartridges sold to retro gaming store

Metal Jesus

I walked into Game Over Games in Bellevue, Wa yesterday and saw these Atari 2600 & 5200 developer cartridges in their display case. Employee said that a local Seattle area collector traded them in a few days ago (and supposed has a lot more). Figured I'd share 'em here and if any local collectors are interested, maybe they should stop by. Not sure how they arrived at the prices, but perhaps that's negotiable? 

IMG_1756.jpeg

IMG_1757.jpeg

• Haha 2

Oscar's Trash Race has a date later than any mentioned at http://www.atariprotos.com/2600/software/oscar/oscar.htm  This probably means it's final code, maybe a review copy.

The Alpha Beam cart looks to be from the middle of development, and that date isn't listed at http://www.atariprotos.com/2600/software/alphabeam/alphabeam.htm

No idea on the two 5200 carts.  They don't look like standard loner carts.

• Like 2

On 7/12/2021 at 8:40 AM, Metal Jesus said:

I walked into Game Over Games in Bellevue, Wa yesterday and saw these Atari 2600 & 5200 developer cartridges in their display case. Employee said that a local Seattle area collector traded them in a few days ago (and supposed has a lot more). Figured I'd share 'em here and if any local collectors are interested, maybe they should stop by. Not sure how they arrived at the prices, but perhaps that's negotiable? 

IMG_1756.jpeg

IMG_1757.jpeg

I am happy to help them dump them if they are interested.      I have never seen those labels before on the 5200 games.  I am also interested in seeing what else they have.    

Well, those white and green labels are clearly just name tag stickers that can be purchased at any office supply or arts & crafts store. Most likely applied years later by whomever the cartridges happened to come to. And the original labels underneath are most likely of super breakout or pac-man.

They may have originally been just bare circuit boards that someone decided to place into cart shells for protection. Or perhaps they had lab loaner labels at some point in the past, but they had fallen off.

Over the years, I’ve had several protos where the lab loaner labels just fell off by themselves. The adhesive just completely dries up.

I am curious about the differences in handwriting between the two labels. The two instances of the letter E are similar, as is the odd mixture of upper and lower case letters, but the B and Z are quite different. 

Of course I am not about to spend US$1,000 for a game, so authenticity does not much matter to me.    

Well and it appears they all made their way to ebay.  Look up Atari Prototypes and you'll even see a Tempest one.  

My question though is, how do we know this is a legit proto and not a preview copy or repro etc?  The 5200 ones seem a little sus to me.   No official proto sticker...  

Can any of the experts here help confirm or deny?

On 7/21/2021 at 4:41 PM, 4ever2600 said:

My question though is, how do we know this is a legit proto and not a preview copy or repro etc?  The 5200 ones seem a little sus to me.   No official proto sticker...  

This comes from Game Over Games in Bellevue, Wa. Just give them a call and ask. I'm sure they'd be happy to answer any questions you have about it as I assume they tested these when they bought them. 

Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at 8.54.20 AM.png

• Like 1