Milli Vee

Crazy Climber Redux

Y'know, if I had been in your situation and had known that those funding goals would have been so easily reached, I would have included a custom plastic container in the Kickstarter, designed to hold two Coleco controllers next to each other. Then the control scheme of the arcade game could have been replicated. But that would push the end goal of the Kickstarter way up, of course. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

all you need is to use he roller controller with 2 controllers locked into it. Then secure the roller controller down.

52 minutes ago, Pixelboy said:

Y'know, if I had been in your situation and had known that those funding goals would have been so easily reached, I would have included a custom plastic container in the Kickstarter, designed to hold two Coleco controllers next to each other. Then the control scheme of the arcade game could have been replicated. But that would push the end goal of the Kickstarter way up, of course. :)

I actually considered that 

• Like 1

On 7/12/2021 at 7:29 PM, digress said:

all you need is to use he roller controller with 2 controllers locked into it. Then secure the roller controller down.

NOTABLE-00289.jpg

• Like 3

Do you have any video of what the 'level builder' will look like on the Adam?

8 minutes ago, rietveld said:

Do you have any video of what the 'level builder' will look like on the Adam?

I have it in my head, I know how it will work, but I have not started on that code yet as I am hoping to make it available to the CV without an SGM. Once I have the game locked down (getting there) then I can look at the editor. I am also leaning heavily towards the idea of just having it be a screen where you enter in codes using the keypad and it builds the building.  This way you could share the levels with others, just give them the codes. The codes would be in the printed manual.

Posted (edited)
Tinkering with some box art concepts today. All you Adam owners don't forget it comes with an exclusive data pack version as well as the ability to design your own buildings!

CCR-BOX-ART.png

Edited by Milli Vee
wrong picture
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Milli Vee said:
Tinkering with some box art concepts today. All you Adam owners don't forget it comes with an exclusive data pack version as well as the ability to design your own buildings!

CCR-BOX-ART.png

I prefer the OG ColecoVision style box. I know there is a strong vote for that in general, but many have expressed that they prefer "new, original" box art. That really highlights it as a "game" and has a fun, attractive draw to it.

Slight constructive criticism on the left: the building/windows are lost in the product image (it just looks like a bunch of lines). It kind of reminds me of the very generic "computer software" boxes that one would see on VisiCalc or something similar. A border and additional graphics would help the layout.

BTW, I am definitely impressed with your progress and motivation, and I will surely be backing this as soon as possible!

P.S. I have product-perfect original ColecoVision box art images in super high-quality 600 dpi .PSD files. Every image is broken down for perfect product placement. PM me if interested.

For just tinkering, it’s a very nice start.

I would suggest making the 8 Bit Milli logo on the front/right corner a little smaller.

Sorry to be late backing this wonderful project. I will be.

I am a real fan of Crazy Climber, ( I own the arcade game haha) and saw the most recent video.

I noticed the climber is moving really fast, I wonder if this is what the actual speed is or if the video was sped up a bit?

I also noticed that the climber can climb the building with only 1 hand touching a window, normally the climber needs to be touching a window with both hands to ascend, I wonder if this is is a change that is going to be kept or if  it will use the traditional mechanic?  I am personally a fan of the traditional mechanic but I respect what the developer decides.

I am real keen to see some footage of the gameplay with dual sticks as that is the best way to play Crazy Climber!

I am considering supporting this project as I love Crazy Climber!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, imstarryeyed said:

I am a real fan of Crazy Climber, ( I own the arcade game haha) and saw the most recent video.

I noticed the climber is moving really fast, I wonder if this is what the actual speed is or if the video was sped up a bit?

I also noticed that the climber can climb the building with only 1 hand touching a window, normally the climber needs to be touching a window with both hands to ascend, I wonder if this is is a change that is going to be kept or if  it will use the traditional mechanic?  I am personally a fan of the traditional mechanic but I respect what the developer decides.

I am real keen to see some footage of the gameplay with dual sticks as that is the best way to play Crazy Climber!

I am considering supporting this project as I love Crazy Climber!

He moves fast now but I will slow him down. I would rather be in the position of slowing the game down then trying to figure out how to make it go faster! At this time he can climb with one hand. I am tempted to keep this even with the dual controls. I am trying to keep in mind that the original game was designed to make you die so that someone else would stick a quarter in the machine so in this "modern take" I have moved away from the quarter sucker to more of a platform style that keeps you engaged.

The dual sticks should be coming next week, that I have to actually test on real hardware so I need to repair one of my controllers. :( It is not something that can be emulated like a single stick.

I do hope you consider supporting the game!

We have 6 buildings that as of yet do not have a sponsor. If you choose the in game promotion level you will be immortalized in the game!

Gamma City    

The Lookout
Waverly Manor
Serenity by the Sea

Delta City    

One Girder Plaza
The Torch
Space Needle

http://8bitmilli.com/cc

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zinister said:

Are you going to be adding in the other climbing sprite animations like this one?

vRt911K.png pr7yz2Q.png

Once the game is "complete" then we will go back and look at refining the sprites and movement. We are doing our best to avoid "feature creep" that would stop us from ever finishing the game!

@Millie Vee

Thank you for the responses, it is obvious you are very passionate about your project which is awesome!

Do you think you might consider an "arcade" mode perhaps that allow for pots and stuff to hit your head if you are grabbing the windows firmly and uses the double hand to climb feature?  I ask only because that mechanic like you say sure made the game tougher but that difficulty I think became one of the most charming gameplay mechanics, however I may be in the minority here! Ha ha..

Will you be implementing any graphic enhancements for F18 / Collectorvision users with that enhancement?

I saw you mentioned the SGM, I hope the game can use the benefits of the SGM if possible!

I have to agree with you that being able to slow down a character is more desirable than trying to speed up! Ha Ha.

I do respect the idea that Feature Creep can cause all kinds of problems on schedule, so whatever you do I am sure it will be good! 

I am just a purist.. I am sure I drove poor PacManPlus crazy when he was developing Baby Pac Man for the 7800 and I was advising him on the scoring and video difficulty as I own that machine too.. haha!

By the way, I just backed your project! Looking forward to seeing more as you develop it!

Edited by imstarryeyed