IGNORED

Giana Sister's W.I.P

Beeblebrox

22 hours ago, Jacques said:

I for one stand behind 100% original Giana gameplay, since it was and is loved by most and may be just different than Mario :)

Changing one puzzle, would simply affect whole gameplay and it wouldn't be the same game anymore. Btw. Amiga and C64 versions feel exactly the same gameplay and speed-wise.

Maybe Giana is just not for everyone ;-)

Gianna has SHIT jump controls on Amiga AND C64 compared to ANY platform game worth playing. In fact the jump controls on 1983 Hunchback of C64 are closer to what they should be (i.e. Super Mario)

I can't stand 8bit slow platform games but even I know that much, it's all about the jump mechanism coded into the platform game engine. Anyone who thinks Gianna sisters is a game worth playing with those shit controls is a f^$king idiot.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, oky2000 said:

Gianna has SHIT jump controls on Amiga AND C64 compared to ANY platform game worth playing. In fact the jump controls on 1983 Hunchback of C64 are closer to what they should be (i.e. Super Mario)

I can't stand 8bit slow platform games but even I know that much, it's all about the jump mechanism coded into the platform game engine. Anyone who thinks Gianna sisters is a game worth playing with those shit controls is a f^$king idiot.

I think such a sh** comment as yours (2nd part of it) deserves rather a ban than replying to it (up to moderacy, though) but it looks you're the prophet and thousands of players and reviewers were blind or stupid loving it and placing it among C64's all time greats then and now.

Edited by Jacques
  • Like 6

@oky2000 I have the same feelings about GS on C64.

In the last six months I beat Monty on the Run (C+4, A8), Danterrifik (ZX), Flob (A8).

Yesterday I played Great Gianna Sisters on C64 - what a mess ...

This one is good modern 8-bit platformer too:

Edited by zbyti
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, zbyti said:

Yesterday I played Great Gianna Sisters on C64 - what a mess ...

Now go play Sam's Journey or Mayhem in Monsterland (which came out in the 90s). Once again, Giana Sisters doesn't jump the way it does due to any limitation on behalf of the C64 itself. Seriously, I know this is an Atari forum, but the C64 hate is a little thick at times - If not misguided.

I don't claim to be even in the same football field or even the same state as the best gamer in the world, but I can manage GS just fine. Naturally no game's going to be everyone's cup of tea, but the fact remains that in the day GS got top reviews.

Edited by Mazzspeed
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Mazzspeed said:

I know this is an Atari forum, but the C64 hate is a little thick at times - If not misguided.

FYI back then I owned C128 + 1571 :D it was my first micro. This is nothing to do with C64 - the game is crap that's all.

Edited by zbyti
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

41 minutes ago, zbyti said:

FYI back then I owned C128 + 1571 :D it was my first micro. This is nothing to do with C64 - the game is crap that's all.

Meh, I think it's alright and I look forward to playing it on my 600XL.

Honestly, I never liked any of the so called 8bit 3D titles of the era, including Atari titles. They always seemed a little tacky to me. Each to their own.

On 7/13/2021 at 8:21 PM, MrFish said:

Interesting. Is this something that will eventually be released to the public?

In future yes. After it is mature enough, with examples, documentation. Its going to have Lynx sdk also (in same manner; we used first version for rapid lynx develompment). 

About jumping:

Its just because in Giana gravity and jump velocity is kinda low. It has nothing to do with the platform itself. I added to todo to have options original/new parameters (its literally just a change to few parameters) so we going to have a different Giana experience besides the original one. Everyones happy;)

Our original game (not a port for a change;) going to have dynamic movement/jumping similar to indie pixel art games like Dead Cells. But its a future project after all open ones are finished. 8 bit machines can have decent character movement, trust me:).

I prefer fast dynamic movement but still has sentiment to Giana and love the original. Same when I do super fast flashy S-combos in Devil May Cry then can play Dark Souls with no problem. 

Edited by solo/ng
more info
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, solo/ng said:

In future yes. After it is mature enough, with examples, documentation. Its going to have Lynx sdk also (in same manner; we used first version for rapid lynx develompment). 

Sounds cool. Look forward to seeing it happen.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I was never a fan of GS, I actually owned the tape just before it was yanked off the shops (sadly it went to a landfill when I tried to give my hundreds of real tapes away.) 

I didn't hate the game, I like many found the jump and movement a bit slow to respond, the game itself was ok, a mario clone is normally not a bad way to go. As a game, I think people were more excited to get a semi ok Mario game as Mario games was / is the gold standard (imho). Maybe it gets more of its status from the lawsuit and it being removed from shelves.

As Mazz said, games like Sam's Journey show just how to do a platformer on a 8bit of any type, it even puts many an ST and Amiga game to shame with its clever gameplay and platforming quality just dripping off it. Is GS in Sam's league, nope, not even close, but is it SH*T, no, it's an adequate Mario clone hampered by small control issues, but as we always say, it's down to what the person playing thinks and never should be judged by what you heard a crowd say about it..

• Like 1