IGNORED

Anyone have a datasheet for Signetics 2622 Universal Sync Generator

Minuous

I am looking for a complete datasheet (or at least the timing diagrams) for the Signetics 2622 Universal Sync Generator (NTSC). This information would improve the accuracy of the WinArcadia emulator's NTSC emulation. This datasheet was stock number 800282. All the scans I have found are only of the product brief (ie. first page). I already have the complete datasheet for the 2621 which is the PAL equivalent. If anyone is able to help out I would be very grateful.

2 hours ago, Minuous said:

I am looking for a complete datasheet (or at least the timing diagrams) for the Signetics 2622 Universal Sync Generator (NTSC). This information would improve the accuracy of the WinArcadia emulator's NTSC emulation. This datasheet was stock number 800282. All the scans I have found are only of the product brief (ie. first page). I already have the complete datasheet for the 2621 which is the PAL equivalent. If anyone is able to help out I would be very grateful.

I am guessing since the clock rate for PAL is different; then the difference between the two is the counter amounts.

You could use the information from the PAL datasheet and extrapolate from the outputs/inputs the counter values.

I could do a capture of the I/Os if you need.

I attached just the sync output which needs http://www.qdkingst.com/en/download to view.

arcadia sync.kvdat

Thanks Crayon King, I can derive the retraces (HS and VS) from your CSYNC output. I am also trying to find out where the blanking periods (HRST, VRST) are in relation to the retraces, and ideally the colourburst (CBF) (although that is just to show the user and would not affect the emulation).

Edited by Minuous

On 7/13/2021 at 2:30 PM, Minuous said:

Thanks Crayon King, I can derive the retraces (HS and VS) from your CSYNC output. I am also trying to find out where the blanking periods (HRST, VRST) are in relation to the retraces, and ideally the colourburst (CBF) (although that is just to show the user and would not affect the emulation).

I have to open this up at some point to install the RGB kit I have for the Arcadia and take pictures for a tutorial of sorts. Anyway, I will capture the logic there when I get around to doing that. Possibly this weekend.

• 3 weeks later...

Not wanting to rush you but did you have a chance to do any logic capture yet? I am hoping to incorporate NTSC emulation for V27.8; it should improve the Space Mission game in particular. The attached animated GIF shows the flickering under the emulator which is also the same on the real PAL machine. I am hoping that on NTSC this game will work correctly.

pal.gif

Edited by Minuous
Attached Space Mission GIF

Channel 0 = CSYNC

Channel 1 = VRST

Channel 2 = CBLANK

Channel 3 = VSR

Channel 4 = CBF

Channel 5 = HRST

Channel 6 = RESET (NOT USED APARENTLY [MAYBE ON SYSTEM START]) 

Channel 7 = CLOCK (NOT THE PIXEL CLOCK BUT THE MASTER CLOCK ? [PIN 12])

Channel 8 = OE

Clock is probably a little inaccurate just FYI. This thing has a hard time getting waveforms of fast signals. 

Let me know if you need anything else before I put this back together. 

SC2622 TIMING.kvdat

Edited by the_crayon_king

Thanks heaps Crayon King, I have now added NTSC emulation for the forthcoming V27.8. That should now pretty much complete the emulation; the only thing not implemented is bus contention. I guess I could try to emulate that based on the UVI pin outputs but I don't think that would make a user-perceptible difference in any game.

2 hours ago, Minuous said:

Thanks heaps Crayon King, I have now added NTSC emulation for the forthcoming V27.8. That should now pretty much complete the emulation; the only thing not implemented is bus contention. I guess I could try to emulate that based on the UVI pin outputs but I don't think that would make a user-perceptible difference in any game.

I don't know if it is of any interest to you but I do have a CPLD that can interface with the VC-4000 and Arcadia 2001 to make RGB video.

If you have pallets for either one of those it would help me out. As of last I had it I think I had everything set to max saturation; which is probably not correct.

Here's what the emulator uses (in UVI colours mode), it is based directly on the output of someone's TV capture card (ie. no camera involved) hooked up to a real Arcadia-family machine. I don't recall if it was PAL or NTSC; I will see if I can find the original capture files. It is quite close to what I see on my real PAL system; the paleness of the yellow is particularly noticeable. I'm not sure if the colours being washed out is due to the age of the components or whether they always looked like that.

$FF FC FF // white
$FF FE 6C // yellow
$D8 2C D8 // purple
$FF 00 00 // red
$5D FD FF // cyan
$47 F4 3F // green
$03 03 A9 // blue
$00 00 00 // black

Edited by Minuous
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Minuous said:

Here's what the emulator uses (in UVI colours mode), it is based directly on the output of someone's TV capture card (ie. no camera involved) hooked up to a real Arcadia-family machine. I don't recall if it was PAL or NTSC; I will see if I can find the original capture files. It is quite close to what I see on my real PAL system; the paleness of the yellow is particularly noticeable. I'm not sure if the colours being washed out is due to the age of the components or whether they always looked like that.

$FF FC FF // white
$FF FE 6C // yellow
$D8 2C D8 // purple
$FF 00 00 // red
$5D FD FF // cyan
$47 F4 3F // green
$03 03 A9 // blue
$00 00 00 // black

That is a big help. I had everything pushed to 255 or 0 but this seems like it will be a more accurate image.

Is the VC-4000 the same then? 

I found some screenshots (in the Interton and Elektor Screenshots Packs at http://amigan.yatho.com ) but the colours seem to be rather variable between individual machines. Here is the PVI colour set I am planning to use for WinArcadia 27.82, it is a rough average that seems to reproduce the overall look fairly well:

0x00FFFFFF, // white
0x00B4B408, // yellow
0x00B408B4, // purple
0x00EE0C00, // red
0x0008BABA, // cyan
0x0014B414, // green
0x001414B4, // blue
0x00000000, // black
0x00B4B4AC, // grey
0x00AAAD52, // dark yellow
0x00A838A4, // dark purple
0x00822E24, // dark red