IGNORED

Apple Mac minis for sale 2012 i5. 7 LEFT! Going to ebay tonight. Last chance

Sorry for the late reply, but I got mine last week and it came exactly as described. My wife geeked out at first because apparently the factory default resolution on it was 768i and wasn't playing nice with her monitor but my Syncmaster monitor made a quick fix of it. Just something to be aware of if you think you might be having video issues on arrival. Thanks again, OP.

3 hours ago, Goochman said:

Is it possible to connect a floppy drive to these Macs that can read/write 800k disks?

I'm going to hazard a guess and say "no". I know you can buy the external USB 3.5 floppy readers, but I doubt you can format to 400/800k as that stopped when OS 9 was introduced (to my knowledge). You'd need an older computer running 7.6 OS or earlier. Which means a completely different computer (PowerPC).

On 8/9/2021 at 10:29 AM, rsiddall said:

I'm going to hazard a guess and say "no". I know you can buy the external USB 3.5 floppy readers, but I doubt you can format to 400/800k as that stopped when OS 9 was introduced (to my knowledge). You'd need an older computer running 7.6 OS or earlier. Which means a completely different computer (PowerPC).

Thanks for the help. My knowledge on PCs is ok but when it comes to floppy's I don't have the slightest idea. 

• Like 1

@Goochman Though I have not done this, I understand that the KryoFlux is capable of reading 400k/800k Mac floppies.  There are several forum posts around as well as a YouTube video or two.  It would be a long way around, but you could make images of those disks for reading.

Aside from being GCR-formatted rather than MFM, those disks are also variable speed (CAV in zones.)

Check this out: https://siber-sonic.com/mac/newmillfloppy.html

• Like 1

pump the bump

Been very happy with mine, ordered another for a wedding gift for a buddy co-worker.

Ended up upping my memory again from 4 to 8, then 8 to 16 GB DDR3 12800 (1600Mhz) . 2x8GB kits seem a little pricey for DDR3 laptop ram, but I have upgraded my moms laptop, this machine and the second mini coming in for a max cost of 50 bucks per pair of sticks ... if you keep an eye on ebay, the cheapest set was listed as a single 8 gig stick of ram for 21 bucks free shipping and they had 2 available, new in box ... so I bought 2 boxes 

SSD's one can get them for ~40 bucks I put this in my mac

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-easystore-240gb-internal-sata-solid-state-drive/6411188.p?skuId=6411188

lastly, I ordered a "second hard drive kit" off of ebay, shipped from the US for ~10 bucks 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265138378423?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

and I was able to put the stock 500GB drive back in as a data/documents/downloads/whatever drive giving this tiny box ~740 gigs of storage 

so in total I spent (rounded up, not including tax or postage) 

Base machine 100$

2x 8GB ram 44$

240 Gig SATA SSD 37$

Secondary HDD kit 8$

--------------------------------

189$ 

for a late 2012 mac mini featuring ...

Intel i5 3120M (mobile i5 dual core quad thread clocked at 2.5 ghz with a 3.1ghz turbo boost) 

16GB ram clocked at 1.6ghz

240GB sata 3 SSD for applications and system

500GB sata 3 HDD that came with the machine for document and whatnot storage 

802.11 B/G/N 2.4 and 5ghz compatible wifi (which is great for me as I live in a dense neghiborhood and they almost all run 2.4ghz, so while they suffer with 23mbs I get 400) 

Bluetooth 4.0

USB 3.0 and thunderbolt

Its a good little platform to spend a little money on to max out. Its small its quiet, heck it runs full tilt with its limited cooling in my garage which easily reaches 95F or ~35C while only feeling "warm" in that environment. Been running librecad(2d cad), freecad (3d cad), cura (3d printer slicer), Arduino and MPLabX (programming environments for micro controllers), kicad (electronics design), GIMP (photo editing) Inkscape  & silhouette studio (editing for vinyl cutter machine)  and online use ... its my new garage workstation so it should do fine for grandma reading the mybookface.

as you receive it, its useable but not excellent upgrade to 2 4 gig memory sticks and it becomes more alive, a Solid State Drive will iron out the rest of the bumps

and remember, the base machine is selling at half the general market price BUY IT

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ugh….I’m on the fence. I got my 2016 MBP i7 fixed and it’s my daily work driver again (with some personal stuff of course) and I’m loving it. I’m tinkering with Crossover for the first time and a couple of Windows programs I use for D&D work great under that (Campaign Cartographer 3+). So to have a desktop is very appealing.

But then I’ve got a big Ryzen tower on my desk….ugh.

3 hours ago, Gamemoose said:

Ugh….I’m on the fence. I got my 2016 MBP i7 fixed and it’s my daily work driver again (with some personal stuff of course) and I’m loving it. I’m tinkering with Crossover for the first time and a couple of Windows programs I use for D&D work great under that (Campaign Cartographer 3+). So to have a desktop is very appealing.

But then I’ve got a big Ryzen tower on my desk….ugh.

Just buy one and figure out what to do with it later ? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2