IGNORED

Cruisn' Blast for Switch...

Anyone getting this?  I pre-ordered this morning at gamestop then it said via email that my order was cancelled because they were sold out.  Then I went to best buy's website and it said not available and I got really sad..  However I tried again a little while later and it was available for preorder on the best buy site..  I don't have a switch.  I don't actually want a switch.  This is however one of my favorite racing franchises.   I went to an arcade at the jersey shore last weekend to play it in the arcade for the first time despite it apparently being out for a number of years.  I had a terrible experience and only got to play two courses (they were a dollar each and no continues even if you placed first!?!?)  I couldn't sit in the cockpit anymore, the arcade smelled like farts and feet and it was progressively getting worse like someone near me had bad gas and wouldn't stop.  it was truly vile, but what's more vile is having to buy a system for ONE GAME.  Has anyone ever bought a system for one game?   I think there's like one other racing game on switch that's not available elsewhere.. Asphalt i think?  

Best buy had a ten dollar gift card with the preorder, so it comes out to the 30 which isn't too bad.  I'm still on the fence, but I also wonder if this is a low print run game!?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I was shocked when this franchise woke back up from the depths when it actually got made into an arcade cabinet a few years back, saw one once and it was beautiful.  When I saw this was coming just to the Switch I was kind of on board, was worried they'd go stupid full blown big game price on it so I was hesitant as I'm not into racing stuff much as I used to be.  But now that when I saw it was 1/2 the going rate ($30) I was totally wanting to take a crack at this.  I still have and rarely do use my old Cruisin' USA cart as that game is just so much stupid fun.

Though if it's a $30 game, why is it $40 at Best Buy?

• Like 1

I used to use the "Rule of 3" when buying a system, it had to have three not just good but GREAT games that I really, REALLY wanted to play.  It saved me a few times.

But that said, if you know for sure that the one game is going to be worth it, go for it.  You will almost 100% likely end up finding a few other goodies for any system that you will inevitably enjoy a great deal, stuff you either have never heard of or knew about but didn't realize how great they were.

I got the Xbox 360 mostly for Halo 3, Kameo, and something else I don't even recall.  Over time I continued to enjoy Halo 3, but then got super into tons of XBLA games that are beloved by me and still played regularly to this day.

Is Cruisin' Blast not available for download?  Looks like a ton of fun, even as a person never super into the Cruisin' games

• Like 1

I bought a PS4 literally just for Metal Gear Solid V. Then, about 2 weeks after I got the system, they announced the PC version of Metal Gear Solid V. I was not exceptionally happy, but I figured I would keep the PS4 for exclusives. Unfortunately, there are very few exclusives that I care about on the PS4, so it ended up becoming the single most disappointing system I have ever owned. I do use it on occasion and I do intentionally skip PC versions of some games if the physical PS4 version is nice or whatever, but otherwise...

My brother bought a Nintendo 64 on sale the day after our friend showed us GoldenEye... Later he bought an Xbox for the SEGA bundle with JSRF and SEGA GT (but that's two games ?).

Personally, I tend to buy every Nintendo system (at least since the GameCube) because I know I won't be disappointed on the long term (yes, I enjoyed the Wii U at the time and wouldn't have waited 4 years for the Switch anyway). However I bought a PS4 Slim when my PC was not powerful enough to run recent games, and because there were a few games I wanted to play that were not available on Nintendo systems, especially the Resident Evil games. So I might have bought a PS5 or Xbox Series if RE8 didn't turn well on the PS4 for instance. But I only own 4 (physical) games for the PS4 even though my brother lended me a few other, and I mostly use it for Netflix/Prime/Blu-ray these days. ?

Also I'm very excited about Cruisn' Blast; I love that kind of arcade racing games and the main theme reminds me of Richard Jacques' music, which makes the game look even more like a SEGA arcade game such as Scud Race. ?

30 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

I bought a PS4 literally just for Metal Gear Solid V. Then, about 2 weeks after I got the system, they announced the PC version of Metal Gear Solid V

This happened to me several times. For instance I bought Okami on PS2 to play it on my brother's console because that was one of the few games I wanted to try that was not released on a Nintendo system... until it was ported to the Wii soon after. ? During the Xbox 360/PS3 gen, I played AAA games on PC and the only game I was missing was Bayonetta, but I 'resisted' this time and it became a Nintendo IP a few years later. ? I didn't wait for Resident Evil 7, though, and I was right since the Switch cloud version is only available in Japan, and I just got fiber recently anyway.

Edited by roots.genoa

9 hours ago, AtariBrian said:

The game is 39.99 and it charges you 49.99. You will then get a ten dollar digital gift card. Which then makes it 39.99, I was confused when I tried it. So I skipped the digital gift card and paid 39.99 ?

wait, what?!  I have to go look at what I paid.. how shady.  Are you talking about best buy?

Oh wait, i just remembered I bought a Wii U just for Mario Kart 8.   I would have bought a Switch too if a new mario kart came out for it, but alas, it hasn't and i'm glad, but i have to get it for cruisn' blast.  On a side note, I am unable to play mario kart game these days as the sounds and voices the characters make are excrutiating to listen to.  Why doesn't Nintendo give you the option to turn speech off (i do it for nearly every game that offers that). I can't tell if it's just age or if i'm turning aspie. :/

6 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

This happened to me several times. For instance I bought Okami on PS2 to play it on my brother's console because that was one of the few games I wanted to try that was not released on a Nintendo system... until it was ported to the Wii soon after. ? During the Xbox 360/PS3 gen, I played AAA games on PC and the only game I was missing was Bayonetta, but I 'resisted' this time and it became a Nintendo IP a few years later. ? I didn't wait for Resident Evil 7, though, and I was right since the Switch cloud version is only available in Japan, and I just got fiber recently anyway.

Yeah, it's only happened that once, as far as I can remember. Everything is on every system now aside from increasingly rare exclusives made by companies other than Nintendo, so at this point, get a Switch and a PC and you can legally play almost every modern game that's worth playing. I'm not even going to bother with the PS5 unless it gets some decent exclusives. We'll see.

There is one more system that I forgot about that I bought for one game, although it's kind of a lie to call it that; I literally bought a Switch because of this trailer

Yes, that's right, I bought a system because of a trailer for a game that didn't have a title or any information other than that it existed/was in development. I was hoping that this would be Shin Megami Tensei V. Literally about 2 weeks after I got the system in the mail, Atlus announced Shin Megami Tensei V for Switch and only Switch. I suppose it's more or less the exact opposite of what happened with Metal Gear Solid V.

• Thanks 1

@Steven Pendleton is right, stunningly.  Unless you're just head over heels in love with a specific Sony title they control, what's the point?  MS being the gate keepers of Windows shove their stuff on PC too, so...?  In the end Nintendo for it's exclusives but also handheld versions of popular titles that make it makes sense to have that, and as long as you have a moderately decent PC you can run the stuff as nice or better than the consoles to cover the rest.

@Hwlngmad I'd agree, but that added $10 gives you like I think a couple dozen full new courses, like 30 unlockable "cars"(dinos, unicorns, etc.) and with upgrade parts for them all.  So yeah $40 seems fair since the game is grossly expanded over the 5 track some cars original.

I'm in the camp on disappointing stupid system mistakes with the PS4.  I'm only happy I was a tightwad and found a one off deal online, someone already didn't like their PS4 costco bundle and forgot they couldn't return it.  It was priced notably less than new, yay, and then of the 5 games it had, 3 of them were crap (or to me were crap) and kept 2 of those sealed, selling them, in the end, got me into a $200 PS4. :)  I ended up selling it in the end, breaking even only because the other games I had some sold for less than I paid so I didn't mind.  The PiiU though, that can go hang itself with what Nintendo pulled and third parties combined as I kept that steaming pile up until after MK8 came out (which I didn't buy.)

• Like 1

Just now, Tanooki said:

I'd agree, but that added $10 gives you like I think a couple dozen full new courses, like 30 unlockable "cars"(dinos, unicorns, etc.) and with upgrade parts for them all.  So yeah $40 seems fair since the game is grossly expanded over the 5 track some cars original.

Oh, that I didn't realize.  So, in that case, yeah, $40 does sound pretty reasonable.  Maybe I can convince my son he needs this...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tanooki said:

@Steven Pendleton is right, stunningly.  Unless you're just head over heels in love with a specific Sony title they control, what's the point?  MS being the gate keepers of Windows shove their stuff on PC too, so...?  In the end Nintendo for it's exclusives but also handheld versions of popular titles that make it makes sense to have that, and as long as you have a moderately decent PC you can run the stuff as nice or better than the consoles to cover the rest.

@Hwlngmad I'd agree, but that added $10 gives you like I think a couple dozen full new courses, like 30 unlockable "cars"(dinos, unicorns, etc.) and with upgrade parts for them all.  So yeah $40 seems fair since the game is grossly expanded over the 5 track some cars original.

I'm in the camp on disappointing stupid system mistakes with the PS4.  I'm only happy I was a tightwad and found a one off deal online, someone already didn't like their PS4 costco bundle and forgot they couldn't return it.  It was priced notably less than new, yay, and then of the 5 games it had, 3 of them were crap (or to me were crap) and kept 2 of those sealed, selling them, in the end, got me into a $200 PS4. :)  I ended up selling it in the end, breaking even only because the other games I had some sold for less than I paid so I didn't mind.  The PiiU though, that can go hang itself with what Nintendo pulled and third parties combined as I kept that steaming pile up until after MK8 came out (which I didn't buy.)

Without derailing this too far into a PS4 bash thread...

Yeah, I got mine new for $250 a year or so ago.  Our old BluRay player died, and I'd been curious about it, and I wanted Street Fighter 5.  Ended up not playing much of it due to the stupid menus, frustrating controls, and such, got a few downloadable demos, and maybe two games (Mat Mania since I have to have it on every system it's available for, and Journey remastered).  It works well as a BluRay player and if needed as a streaming player for Twitch.  But I now stream most everything through a Roku, it's muuuuch better for that.  The PS4 largely collects dust, sadly.

Back to Switch, even though I don't play it portable, I often prefer retro titles for it for two main reasons.  1. the Pro Controller rocks, and rocks hard.  and 2. I am ye of short patience, and the Switch boots up lightning fast and almost never needs an update.  And when it does, it's brief.  Exactly the opposite of the Xb1 and PS4.  And I love the # of games that come out for good prices for it, like Cruisin' Blast.  I paid $60 when I got the system for Arms, but that was mostly at the GF's insistence.  Everything else has basically been dirt- to relatively-cheap.  

• Like 4

No I agree with you it could go into a tangent.  I will add though I had a similar situation, the few years I had the PS4 it was mostly for blu ray, but the menus and lack of remote were so annoying I eventually used a public domain movie player that then was updating the blu ray keys so I could fire up movies, which is what put it to pasture ultimately.

• Like 1

My stereotypical arcade racing gaming response applies:

I need this game "R!gHT NAOz!!11!!!" -Day one.

Cruis'n is only about my 4th or 5th favorite midway racing franchise (I'm usually pretty 'meh' on it), but midway doesn't seem to have squat to do with this one, and I like all the changes from the new folks that I've seen. Huge air, very dynamic courses, and outside of exotica, far wilder scenery. Love it. I do only have about 4 credits into the arcade game, but that's more about arcade access here. I will say that it felt like a bit of a slot machine to determine the winner, though these games are frequently more about record times than placement. It looks like it will be picking up a TON of courses on the way to console, and I am all about that.  Switch has so far been a great system for arcade racing, and I think this may be its first arcade racer actually from an arcade. (outside of maybe if you count the excellent (virtua racing) total-remake)

hopefully it's better than cruis'n on the wii. Let's pretend that one never happened.

I may pick up a physical copy wen prices drop, but surely I'm a day-one digital buyer, because I don't want Cruis'n to have to fight for the cart slot, I want access all the time.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 2

I've been playing the arcade version of Cruis'n Blast recently. It's awesome. Easily the best in the entire series.. which isn't really saying much. But it's great. Fast, responsive, super over-the-top. It really takes me back to the late '90s and Midway arcade racers of that era, but even better.

What I'm curious about is if they will be implementing any sort of single player campaign like with previous ports. Arcade operators typically have you play one race and then it kicks you back to the title screen.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Austin said:

I've been playing the arcade version of Cruis'n Blast recently. It's awesome. Easily the best in the entire series.. which isn't really saying much. But it's great. Fast, responsive, super over-the-top. It really takes me back to the late '90s and Midway arcade racers of that era, but even better.

What I'm curious about is if they will be implementing any sort of single player campaign like with previous ports. Arcade operators typically have you play one race and then it kicks you back to the title screen.

I am not entirely surprised that it's so good, given that it's from Raw Thrills (Eugene Jarvis is a founder)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raw_Thrills

I was surprised at how good H2Overdrive was since I thought it was a clear rip off of (my new username) Hydro Thunder.  Then I find out it's a spiritual successor and that they hired several devs who worked on the original game.  Very nice!  (Now why not release H2Overdrive for Switch, PS4/5, Xb1 etc??)

Raw Thrills also apparently made a Halo arcade game and involved 343 Studios, respect for that.

Will DEFINITELY be giving Cruis'n Blast a more serious look than I had been.

Crusin' Blast has a campaign mode basically.

There's arcade mode with the original play structure, cars, course list from the cabinet.

Then there's another mode with far far more courses, starter cars, and then all the added fluff.  Cash to find on the road, more unlockable cars which also include weird stuff like a unicorn and dinosaurs, and other junk.  I guess it's just a nice blend, if you want more you can have it, if you just want the arcade, it's there.

• Like 4