IGNORED

Cruisn' Blast for Switch...

On 7/23/2021 at 11:28 PM, Hydro Thunder said:

I am not entirely surprised that it's so good, given that it's from Raw Thrills (Eugene Jarvis is a founder)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raw_Thrills

I was surprised at how good H2Overdrive was since I thought it was a clear rip off of (my new username) Hydro Thunder.  Then I find out it's a spiritual successor and that they hired several devs who worked on the original game.  Very nice!  (Now why not release H2Overdrive for Switch, PS4/5, Xb1 etc??)

Raw Thrills also apparently made a Halo arcade game and involved 343 Studios, respect for that.

Will DEFINITELY be giving Cruis'n Blast a more serious look than I had been.

A new Hydro Thunder type game would be great to have imo.

• Like 4

I loved Hydro Thunder, between the Dreamcast release, periodic ownership of the N64 one, and getting to play the arcade one at Midway and very rarely on location after it's one of my favorite racing games of the era.  I'd so go for one in this style with all that added junk Blast is getting to make it have the meat beyond generic racing for 1st place to be worth the effort these days.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

So I had a bit of time to kill today, and found a youtube channel I'm a new fan of.

Here's his high-quality capture from his blast cabinet:

and an interview with Eugene Jarvis about cruis'n in general, and the new game:

(switch port discussion starts (here))

I'm usually kind of lukewarm on Cruis'n, but today is one day I need to get some Exotica in.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I cancelled my preorder for this cuz I don't have a switch or plan on getting one..  am I going to regret this?    This is the first time I have EVER been jealous of a switch exclusive.   I need to find a crackhead to buy a cheap switch from. People in craiglist and ebay charge way too much for how many of that overpriced system are out there.

• Confused 1

I looked, forgot about if this was coming out soon and Nintendo lists it for the 14th of this month...nice!  I may have to really grab this or put some hard work into considering it.  I have to admit, dumb as it is, if that vapor trail of a story is true I'd enjoy old Crusin' USA with it being visually update on the go.

• Like 1

okay, I did my first eshop preorder for this game today. This is the first time I noticed it in the eshop's upcoming section.

I may still be down for a discounted physical copy later, but I don't want this game to have to fight for the cart slot, so I wanted a digital one for sure.

I might even take the day off to play it.

I'm not actually that keen on the cruis'n franchise, but this one feels a bit like its own thing (in the arcade), and this hasn't been a good year for new games for me so far, so I'll take what I can get.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I looked, forgot about if this was coming out soon and Nintendo lists it for the 14th of this month...nice!  I may have to really grab this or put some hard work into considering it.  I have to admit, dumb as it is, if that vapor trail of a story is true I'd enjoy old Crusin' USA with it being visually update on the go.

I'd be in for Cruisin' USA.

• Like 1

And it's official (and slightly silly), I've taken the 14th&15th off just for this Cruis'n game. It's looking like the most interesting game this half of 2021. Maybe it's slightly misleading to say the time off is 'just' for cruis'n--after hurricane Ida, and the associated power outage, I need some time to unwind anyway.

If it ends up being true about the rest of the Cruis'n franchise coming to switch, I'm totally down for it. Switch is, in my opinion, already the best system for arcade racing since the N64, and having the main cruis'n trilogy would only further cement that. I'm not entirely holding my breath on that happening, but I'm still in the day-one purchase club (or sooner) if it does.

I like that Cruis'n is getting all this attention, and that's probably all due to Eugene Jarvis not giving up on it. It does make me a bit sad for the other Midway/AtariGames racers. Cruis'n is a big, dumb, fun, arcade racer--the lightest of those games--which is exactly what I need sometimes, but I think that before very long it's going to make me wish the Rush/Thunder/etc games were getting some kind of attention too. The others seemed to have a bit more meat on them. Maybe the new Blast tracks are going to add some depth, but that'd be about a first for the franchise. At least it looks like there are a fair number of unlockables.

Even when I turned on the N64 specifically to refresh my memory on world and exotica, I wound up playing rush 2 and california speed before too long.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Reaperman said:

And it's official (and slightly silly), I've taken the 14th&15th off just for this Cruis'n game. It's looking like the most interesting game this half of 2021. Maybe it's slightly misleading to say the time off is 'just' for cruis'n--after hurricane Ida, and the associated power outage, I need some time to unwind anyway.

If it ends up being true about the rest of the Cruis'n franchise coming to switch, I'm totally down for it. Switch is, in my opinion, already the best system for arcade racing since the N64, and having the main cruis'n trilogy would only further cement that. I'm not entirely holding my breath on that happening, but I'm still in the day-one purchase club (or sooner) if it does.

I like that Cruis'n is getting all this attention, and that's probably all due to Eugene Jarvis not giving up on it. It does make me a bit sad for the other Midway/AtariGames racers. Cruis'n is a big, dumb, fun, arcade racer--the lightest of those games--which is exactly what I need sometimes, but I think that before very long it's going to make me wish the Rush/Thunder/etc games were getting some kind of attention too. The others seemed to have a bit more meat on them. Maybe the new Blast tracks are going to add some depth, but that'd be about a first for the franchise. At least it looks like there are a fair number of unlockables.

Even when I turned on the N64 specifically to refresh my memory on world and exotica, I wound up playing rush 2 and california speed before too long.

The N64 was a beast for arcade racing, but I don't know how you can claim the Switch is anything even remotely near there.  I am a racing and car game maniac and the ONLY game edging me toward getting a switch is this Crusin' game.  What other arcade racers are you talking about?  The only other one I can think of is the port of the mobile game Asphalt (which I would love too)..    Like I said I need to find a used switch from a crackhead just to play this game.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, NeonSpaceBeagle said:

The N64 was a beast for arcade racing, but I don't know how you can claim the Switch is anything even remotely near there.  I am a racing and car game maniac and the ONLY game edging me toward getting a switch is this Crusin' game.  What other arcade racers are you talking about?  

The best version of (virtua racing) is my big one. It's only the arcade cars/tracks, but with online leaderboards and fantastic graphics. This was the killer-app that got me to buy a switch. I wish they'd make DLC for the thing, I'd buy more of those low-poly tracks forever.

Other good ones include: hot shot racing (if you can put up with the control and rubber-banding), grip, the best version of star wars episode I racer, horizon chase turbo, and the vector unit games (beach buggy 1/2 & riptide renegade). 

There are others too, but they tend to be lower quality, and at least a couple wipeout-'em-ups that I haven't tried yet.

I wish vector unit would do more for switch--they did that microsoft hydro thunder game, and their older riptide games are better than renegade.

Asphalt is really more of a slot machine, which is designed to feed 'addiction loops,' and has very little to do with racing. That's really a shame, IMO. past nintendo ports have had more 'game' in them.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, NeonSpaceBeagle said:

The N64 was a beast for arcade racing, but I don't know how you can claim the Switch is anything even remotely near there.  I am a racing and car game maniac and the ONLY game edging me toward getting a switch is this Crusin' game.  What other arcade racers are you talking about?  The only other one I can think of is the port of the mobile game Asphalt (which I would love too)..    

Horizon Chase Turbo is pretty solid.  It plays a lot like the Top Gear racing series and reminds me in a way of a newer shinier outrun.

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/horizon-chase-turbo-switch/

As mentioned, you can get Sega Outrun and Virtua Racing through the Sega Ages series on the eshop as well.

Honorable mention to Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit Remastered.

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/need-for-speed-hot-pursuit-remastered-switch/

All the games I've listed run well on the Nintendo Switch in my opinion.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Reaperman said:

The best version of (virtua racing) is my big one. It's only the arcade cars/tracks, but with online leaderboards and fantastic graphics. This was the killer-app that got me to buy a switch. I wish they'd make DLC for the thing, I'd buy more of those low-poly tracks forever.

Other good ones include: hot shot racing (if you can put up with the control and rubber-banding), grip, the best version of star wars episode I racer, horizon chase turbo, and the vector unit games (beach buggy 1/2 & riptide renegade). 

There are others too, but they tend to be lower quality, and at least a couple wipeout-'em-ups that I haven't tried yet.

I wish vector unit would do more for switch--they did that microsoft hydro thunder game, and their older riptide games are better than renegade.

Asphalt is really more of a slot machine, which is designed to feed 'addiction loops,' and has very little to do with racing. That's really a shame, IMO. past nintendo ports have had more 'game' in them.

i LOVE LOVE LOVE Vector Unit.  I do have all those ones you listed on the PS4 though.  The new Beach Buggy game is ridiculously good.  But yeah i loved every game you listed in that paragraph!  Don't sleep on Antigravitor.  I did because of a bad review and wish I didn't.  It's great.

• Like 1

Ooooh yeah I set up the cockroach box finally and downloaded hydro thunder hurricane after sooooo much difficulty. I think I overhyped that one in my head tho..  

With horizon chase turbo are they still putting out monthly new courses? They were doing that.forever and I wish there was a way to keep all the new tracks. They keep just rotating new ones.

17 hours ago, NeonSpaceBeagle said:

The N64 was a beast for arcade racing, but I don't know how you can claim the Switch is anything even remotely near there.  I am a racing and car game maniac and the ONLY game edging me toward getting a switch is this Crusin' game.  What other arcade racers are you talking about?  The only other one I can think of is the port of the mobile game Asphalt (which I would love too)..    Like I said I need to find a used switch from a crackhead just to play this game.

Honestly, I'd have bought a Switch for Ages Virtua Racing and Out Run alone.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, NeonSpaceBeagle said:

Check out Fast RMX. Superb launch title

• Like 1

I tried that one.. It was okay.  I found the color matching aspect irritating actually.  I think that's the game you are talking about..  Theres orange or blue things on the ground you have to ride over?  I found that stupid and added nothing of value to the game.  Sorry i'm hating on the Fast series so much, but I notice it's always touted as a great futuristic racer and it's really just not.  neither of them.

12 hours ago, Reaperman said:

The Blast footage is starting to hit the internet. It does look pretty cool. I don't think I'm going to get sick of that extreme verticality that seems to be in most/all(?) of the levels. And it moves along quite nicely too.

Terrific review, thank you for posting!  Really has me interested.  This looks like a combination of two of my favorite Dreamcast Racers, Rush 2049 and Speed Devils (in ways).  Much less like the Cruisin's  I knew of from back when.  I am definitely very interested now!  And it also looks MUCH more forgiving than Rush 2049 which is appreciated for someone of minimal driving game skill. :)

9 hours ago, Hydro Thunder said:

Terrific review, thank you for posting!  Really has me interested.  This looks like a combination of two of my favorite Dreamcast Racers, Rush 2049 and Speed Devils (in ways).  Much less like the Cruisin's  I knew of from back when.  I am definitely very interested now!  And it also looks MUCH more forgiving than Rush 2049 which is appreciated for someone of minimal driving game skill. :)

How does the rush 2049 dreamcast version compare to the one on the Midway Volume 3 compilation on Gamecube?  I really do like that compilation of arcade racers...  Has a great version of hydro thunder too!  I had the dreamcast version of hydro thunder when I had one back in the day, but I was playing on an LCD screen at the time so my experience was most likely compromised, i would love to give it another shot.  I was SO angry about not being able to play this game I went on craiglist and bought a used xbox one so i can play all the forza horizon games ive missed out on.  I still can't bring myself to purchase a switch though, and the used prices people are asking for are beyond ridiculous.

I've watched some of the gameplay stuff and read some of the reviews.   I think the only thing that has me turned off from the videos I've seen is that they show the vehicles with the chrome-looking super-shiny paint; personally it looks too over-the-top for me.

I will, however, reserve judgement on the game since it also looks like it runs super smooth.  :)  I'll be picking it up at some point in the near future.

1 hour ago, NeonSpaceBeagle said:

How does the rush 2049 dreamcast version compare to the one on the Midway Volume 3 compilation on Gamecube?  I really do like that compilation of arcade racers...  Has a great version of hydro thunder too!  I had the dreamcast version of hydro thunder when I had one back in the day, but I was playing on an LCD screen at the time so my experience was most likely compromised, i would love to give it another shot.  I was SO angry about not being able to play this game I went on craiglist and bought a used xbox one so i can play all the forza horizon games ive missed out on.  I still can't bring myself to purchase a switch though, and the used prices people are asking for are beyond ridiculous.

I had the Midway Vol 3 compilation at one point for Xbox IIRC, but I can't recall for certain.  I have a vague memory of the games not running great, but maybe that's just my lizard brain misremembering.  I will have to hunt down a copy as I don't have one in my collection currently (which is blasphemy given my username, and that my HDMI Dreamcast doesn't output HydroThunder correctly!).