IGNORED

440/800 video cables...

DavidMil

2 minutes ago, DavidMil said:

Best and myatari are both out of the 12 foot video cables like the ones that came with the 400/800 computers.

Does anyone know of an alternate source to replace these cables?

Thank you,

DavidMil

You mean the slender RF coax cables? Just do a search on Amazon, eBay or wherever for "slender coaxial cable" - there are lots of options. Be sure to get a coax-to-RCA adapter for the inside connector on the Atari, or find a cable with such a connector pre-crimped on. They exist but you may have to dig through search results to find the right version. 

• Like 1

DavidMil-

You mean the LONG RF cable that ran out the hole in the back from the RF Box?  I still have my original cable from my 800, from when I took out the RF Mod Box.  Still has the ferrite coil thing on it.  AND I'll trade it to you for a backup Percom ROM EPROM, if you can burn one for me.  Nezgar is taking so long, and I REALLY want a backup of that chip, since mine is a 40-yr-old original.

6 hours ago, glurk said:

DavidMil-

You mean the LONG RF cable that ran out the hole in the back from the RF Box?  I still have my original cable from my 800, from when I took out the RF Mod Box.  Still has the ferrite coil thing on it.  AND I'll trade it to you for a backup Percom ROM EPROM, if you can burn one for me.  Nezgar is taking so long, and I REALLY want a backup of that chip, since mine is a 40-yr-old original.

That sounds like a deal to me, but...

Let me see what I can do about burning a chip.  You realize that my chip has a rev level of RFD 2.1?  I'm not even sure if it is still working.

Is you chip a 2716 chip?  Can you send me all the info on the chip itself?  After looking at my chip, I'm pretty sure that I can make you a

copy it.

DavidMil

Well, to be honest, I'm reluctant to peel the sticker off the thing to see exactly what it is, LOL.  I'm just concerned (maybe needlessly) about bit-rot on a 40 yr old EPROM, and it's my only working floppy drive.  So I just really want a backup ROM.  All other aspects of the drive are really solid.

So yeah, I don't know if that RFD 2.1 would work, and it might not even be a compatible ROM.  I don't really know a whole lot about the Percom's per se.  What I really should do is get an EPROM programmer, I have a million uses for one.  I used to have one long ago.  But I would need one that does the 24+ volt programming, and they seem rather expensive now.  What kind do you have?

In any case, I'll get you that cable.  My RF Mod. itself is NEVER going back in - tore it up a bit in removing it - so that cable is not doing me any good.  I have a really excellent S-Video output now.

I can just send you the cable, as long as you cover the postage, which won't be much.  And advise me on a programmer that can do the old chips, like 2764's...  I have a bunch of those, for making 16K cartridges.  I need to know a good programmer to buy.  Thanks!!

2 hours ago, glurk said:

Well, to be honest, I'm reluctant to peel the sticker off the thing to see exactly what it is, LOL.  I'm just concerned (maybe needlessly) about bit-rot on a 40 yr old EPROM, and it's my only working floppy drive.  So I just really want a backup ROM.  All other aspects of the drive are really solid.

So yeah, I don't know if that RFD 2.1 would work, and it might not even be a compatible ROM.  I don't really know a whole lot about the Percom's per se.  What I really should do is get an EPROM programmer, I have a million uses for one.  I used to have one long ago.  But I would need one that does the 24+ volt programming, and they seem rather expensive now.  What kind do you have?

In any case, I'll get you that cable.  My RF Mod. itself is NEVER going back in - tore it up a bit in removing it - so that cable is not doing me any good.  I have a really excellent S-Video output now.

I can just send you the cable, as long as you cover the postage, which won't be much.  And advise me on a programmer that can do the old chips, like 2764's...  I have a bunch of those, for making 16K cartridges.  I need to know a good programmer to buy.  Thanks!!

As long as you don't expose the clear part of the chip that you can see the actual EPROM in, there is no problem with reading the data on the top of the chip.

Even exposing the clear cover for a few minutes to indoor lighting shouldn't hurt (but one never knows).  Does your board look like this?  If it does, odds are

the EPROM's are compatible.  I can send you the EPROM that I have programed and if you feel brave you can swap them out and see what happens...

My burner is from the late 1970's and is very limited as to types of chips it can burn.  You can ask on this site and get some very good feedback about

burners from a host of users.  But to answer your question, mine is a Modular Circuit Technology's MOD-MEP-4A, Four Gang EPROM Burner.  It requires a 8 bit

card, a special cable, and only runs under DOS.

I'll PM you with my mailing address.  Do you use PayPal?  

DavidMil  

CIMG0772.JPG

Yeah, my board is EXACTLY the same one, as if that were a photo of mine.  Mine is DSDD, I don't remember what you have?  So maybe it would work, I'm willing to try it in any case.   My EPROM IS a 2716, but I basically destroyed the sticker in trying to peel it back, sigh... 

I do have Paypal, yes.  I'll PM you the rest.  Thanks.

17 hours ago, glurk said:

Yeah, my board is EXACTLY the same one, as if that were a photo of mine.  Mine is DSDD, I don't remember what you have?  So maybe it would work, I'm willing to try it in any case.   My EPROM IS a 2716, but I basically destroyed the sticker in trying to peel it back, sigh... 

I do have Paypal, yes.  I'll PM you the rest.  Thanks.

You can put anything over that EPROM window to block out the light.  Even a piece of paper with black Marks-A-Lot all over

it, under a piece of Scotch Tape would work.

DavidMil