IGNORED

Where to list Asteroids Deluxe arcade cabinet for sale?

AtomicPunk

Hey all, I bought an Asteroids Deluxe arcade cabinet (1979/1980) about 6 months ago, but after doing a lot of work on cleaning and fixing up various parts, and trying and get it working, I think I need to give up on it and pass it on to someone who knows more about these cabinets so that they can give it the life it deserves.  

Any advice on where to post something like that?  Local Craigslist seems too limited.  I'm only looking to get the $ I put into it back. 

I'd appreciate any advice. 

I tried getting a user account on VAPS to post questions while I was working on it and view photos in the forums a number of times and it won't work.  I tried reaching out to the site manager and it bounced (no longer active).  I even tried reaching out to the web host "web magic" for help and got no response.  

Actually, I just used my Atari age credentials to get in and it worked.  Maybe they're linked systems.  Thank you!!

Edited by AtomicPunk
Update

On 7/14/2021 at 11:57 PM, AtomicPunk said:

I tried getting a user account on VAPS to post questions while I was working on it and view photos in the forums a number of times and it won't work.  I tried reaching out to the site manager and it bounced (no longer active).  I even tried reaching out to the web host "web magic" for help and got no response.  

Actually, I just used my Atari age credentials to get in and it worked.  Maybe they're linked systems.  Thank you!!

Is this the same forum:  The NEW Build Your Own Arcade Controls - Index?  I've had good luck there in the past, but it is NOT the place it once was.  I'm afraid that forums are slowly just dying off.  Most people can't figure them out these days.  I blame Social Media with the "Last In First Out" method basically replacing search as a way to display things.  I mean, forums have the same (LIFO) problem, but there was always the opportunity for deep discussion.

You might get some help here on AtariAge if you post in the Arcade and Pinball or Hardware sub-forums.  Hardware especially gets checked frequently.  The Marketplace -> Buy, Sell, Trade subforum is also very active if you are absolutely done with troubleshooting.  Pinside is pinball specific, but is active and there are lots of machines repaired as well as bought and traded over there.  I am in the Dallas area, and I have also followed Arcade Repair Tips for years (link to their facebook page).  Although, I've never tried to actually get them to help me with a specific problem.

Discord is an option, but I've not really had the interest or patience to get much out of Discord groups.  However, when I was looking for a place to get a question answered about a Sega Dreamcast mod that was the place I was sent.

Overall, I'd say it is getting harder and harder to get help online with a deep technical problem.  That's a generalization of course, but there's is definitely a lack of organization that has continued for years.  Not to mention the fact that most projects (and retail products) have just completely stopped producing any documentation or even FAQs that you can reference.  Even huge hobby community darlings like the Ultimate64 or the Collectorvision Phoenix lack what I would consider appropriate documentation . . . but I digress.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RJ said:

WTF we have "Arcade & Pinball" & B/S/T forums here...??  Almost like going to McDonald's & ordering a Whopper.

Arcade games aren't the main focus here, however.  KLOV deals pretty much exclusively in them, so best to send him in the direction of the most enthusiasts.

• Like 1

To answer the questions, 

It's pretty complete.  Marquee, functioning marquee and uv lights, new volcano buttons, new leaf buttons, but switches weren't all replaced.  Console is a little beat up but not terrible.  Cleaned up the coin slots on the door, but haven't messed with the bulbs.  Cleaned the audio pot. 

I can't get the power brick to give a stable output so I can't test the A/R, pcb or monitor.  I tried replacing the big blue and bridge rectifier.  Has the manual.  Side art is in fair to good shape.  Has the 2way mirror and blacklight back drop, but backdrop needs to be reafixxed.  

I'd like around $450 if possible, but I could go a little lower if someone made the sale easy. I'm around Corvallis, OR.  

I appreciate the help.  I was hoping it'd be simple enough for me to get it working, but I fold.  

Edited by AtomicPunk
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Trinity said:

If you want to take the time and cash. You could ship it here for repair.

https://tntamusements.com/services/

Shipping alone would run more than the value of the game as it sits, and TNT's labour rates are not cheap.  I can't see this being even a break-even proposition when all is said and done.

@AtomicPunk: are you at all interested in trying to repair the game, or do you just want to sell it and move on at this point?  Believe me, I fully understand if it's the latter.  Been there, done that, dropped the Championship Sprint on my toes to prove it ?

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions.  I work 40-50 hours a week, so it's not worth my free time anymore.  At this point I just want to back out.  I've put over 40 hours of my own labor into it, which is included in my asking price at a whopping $2/hr haha.  I had fun working on it and learned alot, but I'm not willing to invest more time and money on it.  I'm hoping it's worth it to someone who can get the job done themselves and end up with a cheap, functioning cabinet. 

• Like 1

On 7/22/2021 at 10:33 AM, wongojack said:

Is this the same forum:  The NEW Build Your Own Arcade Controls - Index?  I've had good luck there in the past, but it is NOT the place it once was.  I'm afraid that forums are slowly just dying off.  Most people can't figure them out these days.  I blame Social Media with the "Last In First Out" method basically replacing search as a way to display things.  I mean, forums have the same (LIFO) problem, but there was always the opportunity for deep discussion.

You might get some help here on AtariAge if you post in the Arcade and Pinball or Hardware sub-forums.  Hardware especially gets checked frequently.  The Marketplace -> Buy, Sell, Trade subforum is also very active if you are absolutely done with troubleshooting.  Pinside is pinball specific, but is active and there are lots of machines repaired as well as bought and traded over there.  I am in the Dallas area, and I have also followed Arcade Repair Tips for years (link to their facebook page).  Although, I've never tried to actually get them to help me with a specific problem.

Discord is an option, but I've not really had the interest or patience to get much out of Discord groups.  However, when I was looking for a place to get a question answered about a Sega Dreamcast mod that was the place I was sent.

Overall, I'd say it is getting harder and harder to get help online with a deep technical problem.  That's a generalization of course, but there's is definitely a lack of organization that has continued for years.  Not to mention the fact that most projects (and retail products) have just completely stopped producing any documentation or even FAQs that you can reference.  Even huge hobby community darlings like the Ultimate64 or the Collectorvision Phoenix lack what I would consider appropriate documentation . . . but I digress.

KLOV as X mentioned would be the best bet. Like you mentioned though, majority over the forums through the years have taken a hit. (Atariage and Pinside seem to be the exceptions here.) Although I wasn't a frequent poster at BYOAC, I was a regular on KLOV; the forum over the last few years even I noticed things were going downhill. Hate to say to it, but I miss the Usenet groups of old. No arcade forum would remotely grace the RGVAC usenet group of yore.

• Like 2