IGNORED

Music demo: Carlsson's Waltz Box

carlsson

As you may have found out, I was approached by @cmadruga just short of two weeks ago about arranging a few more songs to his excellent digital release of Antarctic Tales Enhanced Edition which currently is for sale at a very reasonable price.

Since the original in-game music is the Skater's Waltz by Emile Waldteufel from 1882, I quickly determined that the additional songs should also be waltzes, and amazingly enough found a few composed or published just around the same time. Actually I collected a long list of suitable candidates of which only two really were required for the ATEE.

So instead of letting all the others go to waste, I got an idea. In the game, only two channels are available for music in order to leave room for sound effects but in a pure music demo, all three channels may be used (yes, I know with the ECS you'd have 6 channels but that seemed like overkill for this purpose). Thus what if I arrange multiple waltzes on this format, put them together as another of those music box programs and release it for everyone to enjoy?

Lo and behold, within record short development time here we have Carlsson's Waltz Box featuring 6 different waltzes from 1882-83:

Frühlingsstimmen by Johann Strauss II (1825-1899)

Estudiantina by Émile Waldteufel (1837-1915)

Winter Melodies by J.A. Buxton (??)

2eme valse by Auguste Durand (1830-1909)

Elise Waltz by Clara H. Scott (1847-1897)

Juniper Waltz by R.L. Streeter (??)

The animation is based on series of photographs by Eadweard Muybridge (1830-1904), namely plate #197 from 1887, so only a few years more recent than the music!

shot0000.gif.0b85cc2cbe8cc08a8c523364355868bb.gif shot0001.gif.16e813ca715a9054ae53924d7a66bfd3.gif

Enjoy!

waltz.rom

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...