IGNORED

HSC18 Round 12: PHOBOS, CAVERNS OF MARS II, NIGHT RESCUE 1941

10 hours ago, AtariSphinx said:

Caverns of Mars II: 118,500

Reached level 7, stage 4.  Can't miss any fuel in these later levels.

COM II Made it to the end of level 9 but blew it on a small adjusment. Not sure if the speed increased on level 8 might just be the pressure getting too me. Did you/anyone collect those two tight fuels (on Stage 3?) had a couple of failed attempts.

Photo3654.thumb.jpg.40f2ac458d0d85bfae1f715b09163036.jpgPhoto3657.jpg.f337a77ff6683c935d4e842d44dc8ae1.jpg

Round 13 POLL OPEN 

Nice sketch RT :thumbsup:

• Like 4

2 hours ago, therealbountybob said:

Did you/anyone collect those two tight fuels (on Stage 3?)

This one below? Yes have to carefully drop in as shown after the missile that was there flies out. 

There are 2 in sector 4 which I always skip shown in second picture.  I get all the rest.  I don't think you can skip any other ones in the later levels. 

Screenshot_20210727.jpg

Screenshot_20210727-1.jpg

• Like 2

16 hours ago, AtariSphinx said:

This one below? Yes have to carefully drop in as shown after the missile that was there flies out. 

There are 2 in sector 4 which I always skip shown in second picture.  I get all the rest.  I don't think you can skip any other ones in the later levels. 

Screenshot_20210727-1.jpg

Yes those Sector 4 ones! I think it should be possible but not managed it yet!

1 hour ago, RedThunder said:

Lets have a bit of colour ?

I really should be playing the game, rather than doodling ?

Superb RT as usual :thumbsup:

Round 13 POLL OPEN 

• Like 3

A few times when I was low on lives at an early stage, I practiced getting those fuels at stage 4. So far I've been unsuccessful. Simply I think the ship is too wide to fit in that space, and those fuel reservoirs are only there to tempt you. If you could bomb as well as shoot horizontally - like many other Scramble clones support - it would be a piece of cake but alas we can't bomb in this game.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, carlsson said:

Simply I think the ship is too wide to fit in that space, and those fuel reservoirs are only there to tempt you.

I agree, just there to tempt you especially when you are running out of fuel and get desperate ?.   The ship may fit if you could drop straight down but because you cannot stop your forward movement I think it is not possible to fit. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, AtariSphinx said:
1 hour ago, carlsson said:

A few times when I was low on lives at an early stage, I practiced getting those fuels at stage 4. So far I've been unsuccessful. Simply I think the ship is too wide to fit in that space, and those fuel reservoirs are only there to tempt you. If you could bomb as well as shoot horizontally - like many other Scramble clones support - it would be a piece of cake but alas we can't bomb in this game.

I agree, just there to tempt you especially when you are running out of fuel and get desperate ?.   The ship may fit if you could drop straight down but because you cannot stop your forward movement I think it is not possible to fit. 

Soundsl like we have a top-secret special mission bonus challenge on our hands :grin:

• Haha 3

Is the ship sprite expanded in X resolution? Maybe if the game is hacked so the ship is more narrow (and higher pixel resolution) it would work. I know just about nothing about the A8 hardware so I would not even know where to look but someone else might.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, RedThunder said:

Lets have a bit of colour ?

I really should be playing the game, rather than doodling ?

1941_bw_web.thumb.jpg.f106a8c36f05e378a893d77c4130171f.jpg

@rra

I'm one of the authors of this game and think this is awesome! The positive feedback is much appreciated! Great scores! My brother did most of the work on the update from BASIC to assembly and he is the best at it but I'm certain that he never scores 80,000 points!

• Like 3

One of the Night Rescue 1941 and Night Rescue BASIC authors here....

These comments and the cover art concept are very nice to see!  Night Rescue is a lot about strategy.  Do you go through the cave to rescue more people, or fly above it for an easier route?  The fine tune movement by pressing the fire button was necessary in the Basic version that had rough scrolling.   In the new version, you only really need it to get to the landing base.  There are some neat moves where you can sweep in a grab the 3 humans inside one of the early buildings.  We incorporated the momentum movement controls 40 years ago and it is still frustrating and effective in this new version.

I definitely got through the 5th level while playtesting!  I'm not sure what my high score is, because testing was more about getting to the end of a level and less about picking up the humans.

• Like 4

Hi rra and thanks to you (both/all) for creating a nice game :thumbsup: Always nice to hear from the authors of games, we usually get one or two each season.

I will play NR1941 again before the round is over, if someone can tell me where to land?!!

Some thoughts: if you could be able to rescue all the men or have a quota to do the level or several runs to get them all like Choplifter perhaps. The U/D controls are a bit too responsive?

COM II - Thanks devwebcl :thumbsup: I figure it's something like fire as you descend at the right moment, might have a proper practice.

Round 13 POLL OPEN

• Like 3

@therealbountybob

Thanks for the comments!  To land the balloon and end each level, you have to get all the way to the end of the rightmost screen, then press the fire button while pushing right to fine tube your movement and gently land on the landing platform.  This will complete the level and start you at the beginning with a full new slew of humans to rescue and a faster enemy airplane.

I just played Night Rescue 1941 for the first time in a couple months and only got 18000 and Level 2.  80,000 and Level 5 is impressive!

Your suggestions are good ones, but we are busy working on additional games right now..  Look for additional A/W/A games coming out each month that will be posted to the AtariAge 8bit forum.  Thus far we have released Sokoban 2021, Night Rescue 1941, Overflow 2021, and Kooky Diver 2021.  There will be 10 more games released (1 per month) until we have finished recreating all of our 1980's Basic games recreated into 2021 refreshes in Assembly for both the 8bit and 5200.

Robert Anschuetz

• Like 2

Yes indeed, the coarse scrolling is not enough to get to the landing pad. You need to push fire and steer the extra mile to reach it, and land gently. The same is true about the start of the level, there is a guy to the left of what coarse scrolling takes you but pushing the fire and steer to the left will let you collect him.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, devwebcl said:

Hm, it looks like an emulator. Did it run at full speed or was slowed down by some percentage? I find it faster than so on PAL and would imagine it is even faster on NTSC though I haven't tested on real hardware.

2 hours ago, carlsson said:

Hm, it looks like an emulator. Did it run at full speed or was slowed down by some percentage? I find it faster than so on PAL and would imagine it is even faster on NTSC though I haven't tested on real hardware.

Yes, emulator on PAL, but it can be done in real hw.

You need to shoot to the top of the fuel tank.

Edited by devwebcl
pal
  • Like 1