IGNORED

HSC18 Round 12: PHOBOS, CAVERNS OF MARS II, NIGHT RESCUE 1941

Night Rescue 1941, Phobos and Caverns of Mars II

Three games, not played the new (MAY 2021) Night Rescue 1941 but Phobos (the original APX game before it morphed into C.O.M.) and Caverns of Mars II are both goodies. We can extend the round with an extra game or shorten it if needed too. Be sure to post some comments on the new game.

Settings

Phobos start on the COMMANDER skill level, it plays all the stages A-P and is not any more difficult.

(suggestions welcome from players)

ROUND ENDS SUNDAY 1ST AUGUST 10AM UK TIME

phobos.png.c3cad607a6430ceff9e4fe26f19978dd.pngcaverns_of_mars_ii.png.2da78bc7b92c6652229d862d486d913f.png

night_rescue_1941.png.177f5ab841235b913defb8003e8aca9b.pngNight Rescue atari screenshot

Downloads

Night Rescue 1941

Phobos  (Note XEX version, original is APX ATR version, not sure if same)

Caverns of Mars II

Bonus Game from Compute Magazine 1984's Night Rescue (BASIC - Enable in emulator settings)

Info on atarimania

HAVE FUN, EVERYONE WELCOME TO PLAY JUST POST YOUR SCORES :waving:

Edited by therealbountybob
PHOBOS - play on COMMANDER skill
  • Like 1

Damn... I was about to go to bed early tonight (i.e. not much past midnight).

Caverns of Mars II - 33000 pts (reached level 2, stage 4)

Night Rescue 1941 - 3100 pts (need to figure out how to collect the "uncollectable" guys)

Phobos - 26090 pts (reached level 2 on Novice, since I've never played the game before)

cavernsofmars2-33000.thumb.jpg.cd823e110fc16af67553574a814684aa.jpg

nightrescue1941-3100.thumb.jpg.01688e21d16a6a1a36f25fad1cabd00d.jpg

phobos-novice-26090.thumb.jpg.95e72345cb741c51dd321018192e804c.jpg

• Like 3

Err... doesn't the game continue once you have finished level 1? It did for me. I scored 7200 pts on level 1 and a total of 12600 pts in the middle of level 2.

To clarify, you do not need to collect every man. Get those you can reach and let the others die in the war. Once you get to the far right of the level, there is a red area with a yellow landing pad. Once you land on it, the level is over and the next level follows.

nightrescue1941-12600.thumb.jpg.6309f80e64ee19cf65e78182c611ff9b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Night Rescue 1941 - 22800 pts (reached a little bit into level 3)

I'm starting to like this one! There are no timers to worry about, everything is about precision, controlling your speed and position and not be cocky! If you can keep your cool, I'm sure one can get very far into this game. Press the fire button and move in order to fine tune the horizontal position. It is also crucial to reach the end of the stage (i.e. the red landing pad that looks like a cross between a snowman and a fighter pilot).

nightrescue1941-22800.thumb.jpg.3b402d5027201f57a2f6ccb32338eec2.jpg

• Like 2

Phobos (Novice):  33,260.  Completed novice.  Moving on to the  next level.  Might I suggest we combine our scores on all difficulty levels for a grand total score on this game?  

Night Rescue 1941:  44,200.  Lost my last life at the very beginning of level 4.

A couple things about Night Rescue.  I was able to rescue 63 on the first level.  finished the level with 7,300.  Also, if you zip along left and right, quickly, the planes above will turn into garbled graphics.

Phobos 33260.png

Level 1 7300.png

Garbled Graphics.png

Rescue 44200.png

Edited by Deteacher
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, carlsson said:

Err... doesn't the game continue once you have finished level 1? It did for me. I scored 7200 pts on level 1 and a total of 12600 pts in the middle of level 2.

To clarify, you do not need to collect every man. Get those you can reach and let the others die in the war. Once you get to the far right of the level, there is a red area with a yellow landing pad. Once you land on it, the level is over and the next level follows.

nightrescue1941-12600.thumb.jpg.6309f80e64ee19cf65e78182c611ff9b.jpg

Yeah, ignore me, I didn't take enough time to understand the game properly

Edited by McKong
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Deteacher said:

Phobos (Novice):  33,260.  Completed novice.  Moving on to the  next level.  Might I suggest we combine our scores on all difficulty levels for a grand total score on this game?  

What does that mean? Did you leave out a digit so your score is 330,260 or something like that? (Edit: I saw that you posted a screenshot)

I played on Novice and got to level 5. My final score is 78,930 pts on Phobos but I'll admit it never got any more difficult. I also noticed that the progress bar goes to stage P but on Novice you never play past stage F which probably means that the other difficulty levels give you a longer game per level.

phobos-novice-78930.thumb.jpg.aeece89ac056eaa164f0ac815f5a03f8.jpg

Sure we could probably combine scores for Novice, Pilot, Warrior and Commander or simply choose one of the middle difficulty levels so it doesn't become too hard for some of us.

Regarding the garbled graphics on Night Rescue 1941, I didn't observe that on my real PAL 130XE. Since you play in emulation, perhaps it is a NTSC/PAL thing?

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1

Aha, the manual is clear on this:

Novice caverns: A-F (6 caverns)

Pilot caverns: A-J (10 caverns)

Warrior caverns: A-N (14 caverns)

Commander caverns: A-P (16 caverns)

I find that the speed is identical on these levels, and so is the maze shape and the placement of all items which means the only was Commander is more difficult than Novice is that it takes many more stages to get to the end and get the level bonus. For that matter, I suppose we could all be playing the highest difficulty Commander as it would let the best players see the entire game.

(This oddly enough reminds me about M.U.L.E. where a beginner game only lasts 6 rounds and lacks quite a few gameplay elements where a tournament level game is 12 rounds with all features, but not really that much more difficult)

• Like 3

Night Rescue 1941- holy pixel precision Batman! Good music, but not sure how far I’ll get in this one...

Night Rescue 1941 - 1,600

BE040E89-D2F4-42EF-9117-C59B60106AC4.thumb.jpeg.7ec896654840023883ae40785186e028.jpeg

Anyone having issues running Caverns of Mars II? I’m using the xex on a ultimate cart on a xegs and I’m getting a black screen with #010 or #999 in the top left corner that runs up from 0. So weird. Ah, the pleasures of running these old games ?

• Like 2

Phobos (difficulty level Commander) - 19660 pts, reached stage K (out of maximum P)

Many of the stages are variations of each other, but definitely much more fun playing on this level than looping it round and round on the easier difficulty levels.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, carlsson said:

What does that mean? Did you leave out a digit so your score is 330,260 or something like that? (Edit: I saw that you posted a screenshot)

I played on Novice and got to level 5. My final score is 78,930 pts on Phobos but I'll admit it never got any more difficult. I also noticed that the progress bar goes to stage P but on Novice you never play past stage F which probably means that the other difficulty levels give you a longer game per level.

phobos-novice-78930.thumb.jpg.aeece89ac056eaa164f0ac815f5a03f8.jpg

Sure we could probably combine scores for Novice, Pilot, Warrior and Commander or simply choose one of the middle difficulty levels so it doesn't become too hard for some of us.

Regarding the garbled graphics on Night Rescue 1941, I didn't observe that on my real PAL 130XE. Since you play in emulation, perhaps it is a NTSC/PAL thing?

When I say "finished" I meant that I got through levels A-F. Then it starts over, back at A again.  According to the manual, each difficulty sends you deeper into the cavern, with the highest level being A-P.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, carlsson said:

Aha, the manual is clear on this:

Novice caverns: A-F (6 caverns)

Pilot caverns: A-J (10 caverns)

Warrior caverns: A-N (14 caverns)

Commander caverns: A-P (16 caverns)

I find that the speed is identical on these levels, and so is the maze shape and the placement of all items which means the only was Commander is more difficult than Novice is that it takes many more stages to get to the end and get the level bonus. For that matter, I suppose we could all be playing the highest difficulty Commander as it would let the best players see the entire game.

(This oddly enough reminds me about M.U.L.E. where a beginner game only lasts 6 rounds and lacks quite a few gameplay elements where a tournament level game is 12 rounds with all features, but not really that much more difficult)

Sorry...I replied to your other post before seeing this one.  :) :) :)

• Like 1