IGNORED

Atari World Championship Sticker

Adam W

Hey guys, I'm back after nearly 2 years I think.. I don't come here often I only have one other posting besides this. But that doesn't matter. I've come back because I have had this sticker for a while, Its from the Atari $50,000 World Championship. That competition they had in Chicago which I believe was a total flop because they couldn't come up with the money or whatever. Anyways, I got this sticker from a former Atari employee who gave it me as a gift and I know nothing about it. I don't even know if the event sold merchandise. Any info helps or if you like to leave a comments that's fine. 

Thanks,

Adam 

20201229_195205.jpg

20201229_195224.jpg

• Like 3

I waited to post a reply in case somebody actually knew what this was as I have no idea.

It is difficult to get a good idea of the size, particularly in relation to game boxes but to me the wording suggests that is may have been something that was intended to be added to cartridge boxes post production to promote sales of a particular game(s) by indicating it was used at the championships.

Maybe there was going to be some sort of additional marking to go with it along the lines of...

Couldn't compete? See if you can you beat the world champions score in the official championship game(s)?  

• Like 1

On 7/15/2021 at 6:34 PM, Adam W said:

Hey guys, I'm back after nearly 2 years I think.. I don't come here often I only have one other posting besides this. But that doesn't matter. I've come back because I have had this sticker for a while, Its from the Atari $50,000 World Championship. That competition they had in Chicago which I believe was a total flop because they couldn't come up with the money or whatever. Anyways, I got this sticker from a former Atari employee who gave it me as a gift and I know nothing about it. I don't even know if the event sold merchandise. Any info helps or if you like to leave a comments that's fine. 

Thanks,

Adam 

Maybe you've seen this already, but here's some information on the tournament.  Looks like it was for the Centipede arcade game.

https://ausretrogamer.com/the-atari-50000-world-championships-fiasco/

http://allincolorforaquarter.blogspot.com/2012/11/the-atari-50000-centipede-fiasco.html

Edited by JayAre
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, Adam W said:

I did take a look at the article seeing more into it. I just don't of any known merchandise that may have been sold at the event. Or it was possibly nothing more than a promotional item. 

The second article indicates that, in order to promote the tournament, Atari sent out 1,500 promotional packages to operators around the country.  It's possible that your sticker was included in that promo package.  But I don't know if any merchandise was sold at the event.

Really, I may have missed that but that actually sounds really cool. I am pondering the idea of going back to the employee I got it from and asking where he got it or maybe any info on it in general specific to him. I only live maybe two blocks away from in my area. 

Edited by Adam W