IGNORED

1200XL repair help

ianoid

Have this loverly 1200XL I want to get working. It starts up to the Atari screen, which is not something I’m familiar with. Usually these go straight to Basic, right?

Well, I opened it up and I’m wondering if there is a 5 pin cable missing from the keyboard to the motherboard. Is that normally used?

Note that although the computer starts up, the LED doesn’t light up. 

Unfortunately I don’t have a SALT cart handy, although I have some AtariMax carts I could load with some ROMs if needed. 

1EA9241D-011E-439B-B752-0074E44EE0EC.jpeg

D40AA0F2-8750-4FCD-9226-8A47820ED586.jpeg

3C1A57F9-9A90-426F-A949-63E5AB375F46.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks. Yeah, I guess I need to fashion or buy a 5 pin cable. I’d rather buy one, if anyone has any suggestions. I’m also guessing or hoping that same cable connects the top row of keys.

I have it starting up some carts, although it’s a little weird with the AtariMax. Most of my ROMs don’t work on it. I think I need to program a SALT cart and test it to make sure there aren’t any RAM issues. 

Sound is also really noisy through RF, but then the shielding is off. I should also try AV. 

AV sounds perfects and the picture is so nice. I have it working with MULE, which I believe is 48K. 

Maybe all that’s wrong with this 1200XL is that missing cable. I also need to make sure all the keys work.

Can anyone suggest a 5 pin cable I could order?

40 minutes ago, ianoid said:

Hmm, they don’t have the 5 pin keyboard cable, which is what this unit is missing. Thanks though! That store has a ton of other useful stuff. 

The LED board cable is a standard 5-pin connector, but I don't know the pin dimensions off the top of my head and can't check my 1200XL as I'm at work.  If someone else can't get this info to you, let me know and I can check mine.  Fair warning: I'm working overnight, so it may be much later tomorrow before I can take a look.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ianoid said:

AV sounds perfects and the picture is so nice. I have it working with MULE, which I believe is 48K. 

Maybe all that’s wrong with this 1200XL is that missing cable. I also need to make sure all the keys work.

Can anyone suggest a 5 pin cable I could order?

The 5-pin cable is only for the LEDs. Your keyboard issues are a different issue, unfortunately very common to the 1200XL. You can try working that top row a few dozen times each to see if it's just some oxidation on the membrane contacts. If that doesn't work, you'll have to either buy a new membrane or perform the tried and true membrane edge connector repair. I've done this fix on two of my 1200XL's and both keyboards still work great 7 years later.

http://retrobits.net/atari/keyboard.shtml

• Like 2

Sorry, here ya go : https://best-electronics-ca.com/1200XL%20keyboard%20Mylar.htm

He also has the missing Keyboard piece.

First two pics : where the wires are ( 0 ohm ) is where I removed resistors. This is a video improvement.. sorta like a 1/2 super video mod.

The second pic is the fix for the bad halt, should you decide to install a Ultimate 1MB board.

The last one is for the U1 motherboard connections.

It's good info from the files of Eightbitfix.com :)

1200xl 1.JPG

1200xl 2.JPG

1200xl U1 BAD HALT FIXpic 2.jpg

1200xl Ultimate.jpg

• Like 2