Are you getting an Amico?

Are you getting an Amico? Poll  

127 members have voted

1. 1. Are you getting an Amico?

• Yes, For Sure, Already Pre-ordered and can't wait
    • No, Never, Not a chance ever, Nothing could make me ever want an Amico
    • Yes, For Sure but waiting until after launch
    • Yes, For Sure but will wait for a price drop or special bundle
    • Maybe, On the Fence with an open mind but still need to wait and see what happens

I've had two paid off pre orders at Gamestop.  I canceled the first one because of delays and Intellivision/youtube drama.  I canceled the second one because of that Arstechnica article, Tommy continuing his same nonstop sales schick for years, and the cult fanboys on youtube.

For a console supposedly for everyone, it became clear very quickly that it's a console for no one.  Unless by chance you fall in to the niche 40 to 60 year old man child group, the really small children who are amazed by shaking keys group, the "if phone games blow your mind" group, or the "please help my family group" or the "I don't want to hang out with grandma, but she's cool now, she's in to video games too now" group.

So, no, no thank you Tommy, but I do thank you for the console delays.  It gave me extra time to do research on the Amico and get a real good look at who are the fans of the Amico.

• Like 4

I'm in the same boat, I put down money but decided against it in part due to Tommy's public behavior and then just the overall discourse from the Amico community making me feel like I'll sit out and just wait and see. The Ars Technica article was especially telling but it did lead me to get a playdate order instead.

• Like 7

On 7/28/2021 at 8:00 PM, nightmonkeyii said:

Good ol south park. Always on the money

image.thumb.jpeg.ba275acaabd313df86eaa10212e6cdde.jpeg

just noticed this, funny but so true, lol

It's not always true though... The reason why I pre-order almost every game I want at Amazon is to get the lowest price. But it works even if you pre-order less than a week before release (which is what I usually do since I don't want too many orders going on at the same time), so I'm pretty sure the game is ready. ;)

• Like 3

Probably not now. Had one pre-ordered as soon as they went up at Amazon because I'm a huge fan of the original console, and I liked the ethos of the new one. Too many red flags since then though. Games that still look unfinished, questions over the controller, under powered hardware at a now silly price (I'm intrigued, for instance, as to whether it would run Capcom's recent Ghosts 'n' Goblins Resurrection in a satisfactory manner), weird almost cult-like fan base... 

If/when it does a Jaguar and stores are clearing out their unsold inventory for a third of the RRP, possibly. If the store isn't dead by then, leaving customers with a foot-spa shaped brick.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I was very excited for this, had a pre-order. But cancelled it and now i'm very much in the "Nope, never want one" category.

The delays, the drama, the lack of communication killed this for me big time. But I can't look away and ignore as things develop because of how curious I am to see how this all unfolds, if at all.

Maybe if I get one on clearance somewhere for $30 like i did my Playstation Classic. But much like that console, it'll stay on the shelf in the box as a cool memento of failed attempts in gaming history.

• Like 2

I’m getting one as soon as I can. Shark shark, moon patrol and Evel Knievel will hit my social life hard thank god for couch coop in every game  - or I would never see people again.

Edited by Friendly Amico
  • Like 2

My answer would be "not as it stands." I wouldn't really call that "on the fence" nor the rabid "no" on offer. There's just been nothing to sufficiently capture my interest yet, but I continue to read about it off and on out of idle curiosity. But it seems like there's no room for dispassionate opinions in this poll. :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

If I could not care about spending money, I'd buy it for sure. Whatever happens to it, I'm fascinated by niche consoles projects. Unfortunately I do have to rationalise how I spend money, so I need to wait and see what IE has to offer on the mid term. Currently it's about twice the price I'd spend on it as an experimental console, but if it'll reveal its strengths I could change idea.  

• Like 1

On 8/30/2021 at 4:35 PM, Friendly Amico said:

I’m getting one as soon as I can. Shark shark, moon patrol and Evel Knievel will hit my social life hard thank god for couch coop in every game  - or I would never see people again.

Honestly, not trying to be rude here, but I don't get why people keep harping on about this as though it's something new or out of the ordinary? 

The kids and I have a gaming afternoon every other week. Pretty much Switch, though there's stuff on all three main consoles. Currently they're loving Super Mario Party, but we've had Mario Kart 8, Rocket League, ARMS, Super Monkey Ball, Mario 3D World....

I get that Amico is making it a 'focus'. Which is great in theory, but it does make me wonder how well those games will be structured for a single-player. Dynablaster/Bomberman is a prime example. It's one of the greatest  multiplayer games of all-time, but it's always been very, very lacking in single-player. That's been true of every version from the Spectrum (Eric & the Floaters), to the Amiga, PCE, SNES, MD, Switch... 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Parker77 said:

The kids and I have a gaming afternoon every other week. Pretty much Switch, though there's stuff on all three main consoles. Currently they're loving Super Mario Party, but we've had Mario Kart 8, Rocket League, ARMS, Super Monkey Ball, Mario 3D World....

Definitely, there are great games even for small kids on other platforms. I think that the idea of Amico is to provide a safe option for those, who don't want to or don't have time to look for those games. Amico's promise is that there are only simple and safe games on it, nothing else + no parental settings required. However, I am now getting a lot of ads for Nintendo Switch featuring mums/young women doing exercise and then dancing with a kid - so I think that Nintendo Switch goes for a similar demographics and it offers some pretty attractive things, like fitness stuff and dancing games, portability + it is a system that can serve more types of gamers. Curious to see how Amico will compete!  

Edited by Lusorius
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Lusorius said:

Definitely, there are great games even for small kids on other platforms. I think that the idea of Amico is to provide a safe option for those, who don't want to or don't have time to look for those games. Amico's promise is that there are only simple and safe games on it, nothing else + no parental settings required. However, I am now getting a lot of ads for Nintendo Switch featuring mums/young women doing exercise and then dancing with a kid - so I think that Nintendo Switch goes for a similar demographics and it offers some pretty attractive things, like fitness stuff and dancing games, portability + it is a system that can serve more types of gamers. Curious to see how Amico will compete!  

Well I hear the marketing is going to be starting 'soon' so we may see how they try to compete. There have been a bunch of commercials with Switch showing kids and families. I didn't know how much it would hit that casual itch, but offer me more than just that. It is the first console since the Wii, that literally everyone in my family all own. Heck even my aunt got one for AC and I've NEVER known her to game at all.

The pandemic is terrible, but I think Amico may have missed a prime time to push their console out. The pandemic would have been a great time for Amico to shine in the house when you couldn't go out and do anything. It is going to be interesting to see how they try and make themselves stand out. 

So I'm also curious to see how this marketing goes.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

here have been a bunch of commercials with Switch showing kids and families. I didn't know how much it would hit that casual itch, but offer me more than just that.

What is interesting for me is that there are really no fitness, jumping or singing games for Amico - something that can be missed by some parents when they compare it with Switch.  

My "No, never" vote isn't entirely accurate, if this thing releases and ends up giving me Imagic games, Tron games, or something else blows my mind I may get one. 

I had a FE on pre-order and dumped it after E3.    Zero confidence in the project and team at this point. 

18 minutes ago, Lusorius said:

What is interesting for me is that there are really no fitness, jumping or singing games for Amico - something that can be missed by some parents when they compare it with Switch.  

Well the constroller has a mic so they should be able to do them. Now if anyone is currently developing one? I haven't heard anything and that would mean probably mean year 2 of Amico before you had a chance of seeing one. Considering how long they made Just Dance for old platforms it would be a good idea.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Parker77 said:

Honestly, not trying to be rude here, but I don't get why people keep harping on about this as though it's something new or out of the ordinary? 

Different people have different reasons.  Can’t speak for everyone, but here’s a few real world examples I’ve seen for why people are “harping about this” --

• Don’t own, like, or want any of the modern consoles for various reasons
  • Aren’t normally into video games, but find the simplicity of Amico an appealing toy to spend some time with the family
  • $10ish for a game sounds a bit friendlier for the “non console” family than $60 for Mario Kart and Arms 
  • The belief that 100% of the games will have multiplayer that just works out of the box is not something that the other 3 can claim.  Some games don’t work easily with some controllers.  Some require online connection nonsense.

And to be clear, none of those are my personal thoughts.  Just some reasons I’ve personally seen.  Sadly, that sort of thing usually gets people all worked into a huff if they don’t agree and can’t stand that someone else might have an opinion different from theirs. 

17 hours ago, Parker77 said:

I get that Amico is making it a 'focus'. Which is great in theory, but it does make me wonder how well those games will be structured for a single-player. Dynablaster/Bomberman is a prime example. It's one of the greatest  multiplayer games of all-time, but it's always been very, very lacking in single-player. That's been true of every version from the Spectrum (Eric & the Floaters), to the Amiga, PCE, SNES, MD, Switch... 

I hope to be proven wrong, but I don’t think most of them will be structured well for single player at all.  At most, they’ll be something you’ll play single player for high scores to compete with others via the leaderboards or something.  I can’t imagine any of them featuring a fully fledged out campaign or anything, and will more likely be classic “pick up n’ play” stuff (not that I’m saying that’s a bad thing) But I dunno… just my thoughts, but hope to be proven wrong, as mentioned.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Razzie.P said:
  • Don’t own, like, or want any of the modern consoles for various reasons
  • Aren’t normally into video games, but find the simplicity of Amico an appealing toy to spend some time with the family
  • $10ish for a game sounds a bit friendlier for the “non console” family than $60 for Mario Kart and Arms 
  • The belief that 100% of the games will have multiplayer that just works out of the box is not something that the other 3 can claim.  Some games don’t work easily with some controllers.  Some require online connection nonsense.

I think that with the partial exception of the price for games and multiplayer in all games, this is exactly the marketing of Switch. + You get portability, games for younger and older ones, Fitness, singing, dancing etc. And of course, Switch has also many cheap games on its online shop.

I mean: Yes, Amico seems to be more simple (and more limiting as well) but if one decides based on marketing, Switch goes for the same audience and gives you the promise of the ultimate device that can cover the whole family with one console.

But maybe Amico marketing will be successful :). Curious to see their strategy. And maybe they will also have some fitness apps/singing/dancing/more moving games in future. I also don't want to be rude or wish ill but recent ads from Nintendo got my attention.

• Like 1

From what I've seen here, a lot of retrogamers still hold a grudge against Nintendo because the NES made the mainstream audience forget about the pre-NES consoles. So they won't buy a Switch anyway... But it's not a huge target demographic to be honest.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Lusorius said:

However, I am now getting a lot of ads for Nintendo Switch featuring mums/young women doing exercise and then dancing with a kid - so I think that Nintendo Switch goes for a similar demographics and it offers some pretty attractive things, like fitness stuff and dancing games, portability + it is a system that can serve more types of gamers.

Nintendo is certainly trying to expand the demographic of the Switch and to increase their sales, but while ads can lure people into buying a product that is not for them, these ads won't change that the Switch is not for casual gamers.

Casual gamers may play an action game once in a while, particularly if it's a "party game", but it's not something they will do regularly. A casual gamer may play Mario Kart if someone else wants to, but it's not something they'd think of doing by themselves, even if they have some fun when playing the game. It's also not something they'd suggest doing if they are with other people.

For a casual gamer, playing an action game like Mario Kart is like reading a book for the average person. It's like an introvert going to a party. It can happen, it's something they might enjoy once in a while, but they get quickly tired of it.

As for a game like Animal Crossing, it requires far too much time to appeal to the majority casual gamers. Only casual gamers with an obsessive / compulsive tendency could be interested in Animal Crossing.

For now, only tablets and computers are truly casual gamers friendly.

As for the Amico, it's difficult to judge for now, but I'd agree the list of games that was announced up to now is also not really casual gamers friendly. Maybe there's Brain Duel (based on what I imagine the game will be), but that's about it. We'll see when the console is out if Intellivision tries to copy Nintendo or if it tries to make a console that is truly for casual gamers.

Edited by Papy
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Papy said:

Nintendo is certainly trying to expand the demographic of the Switch and increase their sales, but while ads can lure people into buying a product that is not for them, these ads won't change that the Switch is not for casual gamers.

In the ad, they show Fitness ring and Just dance (I think so). I think that it is quite a clever choice: do something for your health and have a simple fun. It is also something that you cannot simply do on your smartphone. So I think that their choice for the ad was quite good in the respect to casual players/non-players. What do you think? 

Just now, Lusorius said:

In the ad, they show Fitness ring and Just dance (I think so). I think that it is quite a clever choice: do something for your health and have a simple fun. It is also something that you cannot simply do on your smartphone. So I think that their choice for the ad was quite good in the respect to casual players/non-players. What do you think? 

I think the fitness ring is just a gimmick, like the Wii Balance Board was. It may look like a cool idea, but people quickly realize this is in a reality something extremely limited when they use it. As for Just Dance, I'm guessing most women who bought Just Dance on the Nintendo play with it even less than they used their stationary bikes they bought in January.

Don't get me wrong, there are people who did play with Just Dance a lot. I bought a Xbox 360 with a Kinect ONLY for Dance Central. However, even if these games look like casual games, they are in reality hardcore games. Casual gamers give up on this kind of games really fast. They look cool and fun, they are great to sell a console, but then these consoles bought by casual gamers ends up gathering dust.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Papy said:

They look cool and fun, they are great to sell a console, but then these consoles bought by casual gamers ends up gathering dust.

I don't know. Will you play after one month? The same question is true for Amico and its simple games (as well as for anything we buy). I just wanted to point out that Nintendo seems to aim quite well at these folks - simplicity, movement and fun for the whole family. And if they buy one console for this, will they buy another one? 

I am also not sure whether the term "hardcore" is appropriate. I think that we need something like "midcore", or "softcore" ;). Playing occassionaly Mario Kart does not seem "hardcore" to me. It is maybe not casual but neither it is "hardcore", imho. 

54 minutes ago, Papy said:

Nintendo is certainly trying to expand the demographic of the Switch and to increase their sales, but while ads can lure people into buying a product that is not for them, these ads won't change that the Switch is not for casual gamers.

Honestly, bsaed on what I've personally seen, I don't think you could be more wrong there. I've got several friends that would have a shit fit if anyone tried to call them a 'gamer' - because that's for nerds and stuff, but pretty much all of them have picked up a Switch.

Hell, my Dad has one. MY DAD. He's not owned a games console since, amusingly enough, the Intellivision!

• Like 2

Almost everyone plays games, whether it's card games, board games, sports etc.  So if there are people that don't want to be associated with video games maybe they might buy a game system that's marketed to people that don't buy traditional video games.  But if Amicos are only being made to fulfill preorders for the near future, we might not see any of that marketing for a while.

4 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

From what I've seen here, a lot of retrogamers still hold a grudge against Nintendo because the NES made the mainstream audience forget about the pre-NES consoles. So they won't buy a Switch anyway... But it's not a huge target demographic to be honest.

There are lots of people that haven't bought a Switch from different generations, not just retro gamers.  And lots of retro gamers grew up playing games on Sega, Playstation, or home computer systems, who wouldn't have noticed Atari and Mattel exiting home videogames in 1984.  Some people just didn't and don't care for Nintendo graphic and audio styles. What you see on Atariage isn't necessarily representative of anything.

Edited by mr_me