Jump to content
Bonkey Kong

Are you getting an Amico?

Are you getting an Amico? Poll  

126 members have voted

  1. 1. Are you getting an Amico?

    • Yes, For Sure, Already Pre-ordered and can't wait
      43
    • No, Never, Not a chance ever, Nothing could make me ever want an Amico
      37
    • Yes, For Sure but waiting until after launch
      3
    • Yes, For Sure but will wait for a price drop or special bundle
      5
    • Maybe, On the Fence with an open mind but still need to wait and see what happens
      38


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, sn8k said:

Dumb analogy.

Can you explain what was wrong with my analogy? Can you explain why it was "dumb"? (Don't worry, it's just a rhetorical question.)

 

Again, why do you want the Amico to be a jack-of-all-trades? Why do you believe it has to be? I've seen many people criticizing the Amico for not being a jack-of-all-trades, but I don't understand why this is necessarily bad. I mean if one day I end up playing games on the Amico, it won't make me stop playing games on my computer or my tablet.

 

1 hour ago, sn8k said:

And you know exactly what Im saying.

I know what you are saying, but it doesn't make sense to me.

 

When you said that all you wanted was playing video games where you could shoot aliens, beat the shit out of people and slay dragons, it made me understand that you didn't care much about gameplay and that you were only craving escapism. I find this craving for escapism unhealthy, I consider that video games can bring much more than just escapism, but I can understand why some people end up craving it.

 

However, you now say that what you really want is to collect physical items. You want to put things on shelves. Now again, I can understand this desire to collect things, but I don't know what you truly want anymore since seeking escapism and collecting things are not related, if not contradictory.

 

More importantly, you say you are getting an Atari VCS, which is really bad at escapism (compared to a modern console) and which doesn't have physical games to collect. So can you understand why I'm puzzled by what you are saying?

 

1 hour ago, sn8k said:

Dont be dense and ask stupid questions.

Trying to insult people is a risky game to play. If the other person is not intimidated by your insults, then you end up looking like a fool, a loser or someone dishonest. It makes you lose your credibility.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Papy said:

If the other person is not intimidated by your insults, then you end up looking like a fool, a loser or someone dishonest. It makes you lose your credibility.

It does that anyway, whether the other party is intimidated or not.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The people at Intellivision Entertainment feel that they will gain more sales than they lose with the themes and types of games they are going with.  Games without blood or realistic looking violence will be a big part of their marketing to distinguish themselves from other game systems. They are also focusing on local multiplayer games that anyone can play.  So fewer games with scrolling playfields and more single view games, at least to start.  They can't have every game they want to make for day one.  There will be games for more advanced players, Cloudy Mountain and Night Stalker might be two examples, but it will take time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Papy said:

Can you explain what was wrong with my analogy? Can you explain why it was "dumb"? (Don't worry, it's just a rhetorical question.)

 

Again, why do you want the Amico to be a jack-of-all-trades? Why do you believe it has to be? I've seen many people criticizing the Amico for not being a jack-of-all-trades, but I don't understand why this is necessarily bad. I mean if one day I end up playing games on the Amico, it won't make me stop playing games on my computer or my tablet.

 

I know what you are saying, but it doesn't make sense to me.

 

When you said that all you wanted was playing video games where you could shoot aliens, beat the shit out of people and slay dragons, it made me understand that you didn't care much about gameplay and that you were only craving escapism. I find this craving for escapism unhealthy, I consider that video games can bring much more than just escapism, but I can understand why some people end up craving it.

 

However, you now say that what you really want is to collect physical items. You want to put things on shelves. Now again, I can understand this desire to collect things, but I don't know what you truly want anymore since seeking escapism and collecting things are not related, if not contradictory.

 

More importantly, you say you are getting an Atari VCS, which is really bad at escapism (compared to a modern console) and which doesn't have physical games to collect. So can you understand why I'm puzzled by what you are saying?

 

Trying to insult people is a risky game to play. If the other person is not intimidated by your insults, then you end up looking like a fool, a loser or someone dishonest. It makes you lose your credibility.

Insults aren't risky. It's exactly what is missing in this politically correct inclusive society when you say something stupid.

 

I want a VCS so I can play Gamepass on it.... aswell as download every Atari game I can on it. Again, making a far bigger issue out of a concept not hard to grasp. 

 

I don't play Wizard of Wor or Call of Duty for escapism. I do it to shoot the [email protected]#%in Wizard for points and in the latter, to shoot and kill other people for points to earn things that kill more people for points.

 

Not everything has to be so complex and drawn out. And frankly im done over complicating what should be a simple take away.

 

Amico is failing in one crucial area. If they weren't there would be more than EarthWorm Jim 4 and FinneganFox. When people finally play and beat those games..... they will ask where are the other games like this for all the times I dont want to play a room full of people..... when I just want to play the damn thing by myself. Well all those couch co op games will be useless in times like that and the overwhelming majority of games are better suited to local multiplayer regardless. 

 

But then you say just play something else..... than everyone has an intellivision Amico burried in their closet they bring out 2 times a year for games night. 

 

That aint the kind of console I want. And it doesnt have to be that way if you can have actual single player games that steadily release so it can hold peoples interest in this thing longer than 6-12 months.

 

You forget that today,  the industry makes far more money than it ever did. But that also means it's the most fickle it has ever been. Its easy to get lost and irrelevant very quickly if you drop the ball even once playing this game.

 

Going 100% family friendly is way too much of a risk in the current climate. Simple parental controls fix the violence issue so both crowds get what they want.

 

Why does something have to lean all the way to one side..... like all of the Atari consoles after 2600 that died because they refused to change?

 

1 trick ponies do not last.

 

You need something for everyone. If Nintendo sees that. Everyone should see that.

 

Good day. I've got nothing more to speak on this issue.

 

You can find me on my profile here..... in case you would like to me to tell you " I told you so" ...in 2 years, I promise I'll be there to say it if you remember to ask.... after Amico has died..... or when sales start picking up because cool....and what can be considered.....violent..... single player games begin showing up.

Edited by sn8k

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saying that if Amico fails it's because of the reasons you stated is dishonest at best, outright ludicrous at worst. There are a series of reasons why Amico could fail, and the lack of blood is definitely not among the top ones. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2021 at 9:41 AM, Parker77 said:

You've actually just summed up my thoughts very well there. The initial reveal, the one that caught my interest, was mostly Intellivision classics, with coin-ops my Data East and Irem also bandied around. It seems to have shifted direction quite dramatically as it has developed, and, while I wish them all the best, it's turned out very differently than I personally envisioned.

This is quite well said.   This aspect coupled with what I feel has been horrible mismanagement is what made me shift my opinion. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, sn8k said:

Insults aren't risky. It's exactly what is missing in this politically correct inclusive society when you say something stupid.

Insults have nothing to do with political correctness. People who are the most in favor of political correctness are constantly insulting their opponents. An insult is used to intimidate. In the context of a discussion, insults are used when the person is losing the argument. The reason insults are risky is because they show the world that you are losing the argument.

 

8 hours ago, sn8k said:

Good day. I've got nothing more to speak on this issue.

Have a nice day too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Papy said:

Insults have nothing to do with political correctness. People who are the most in favor of political correctness are constantly insulting their opponents. An insult is used to intimidate. In the context of a discussion, insults are used when the person is losing the argument. The reason insults are risky is because they show the world that you are losing the argument.

 

Have a nice day too!

You are under the impression I want this thing to fail. I really don't. I have explained every step of the way that I feel this thing is Dead On Arrival but that I want it to succeed. We shall see  who was on the losing end of the argument. Because that has yet to be determined. I want to be proven wrong. I really do. It's actually worse for me if it does die... because I know exactly what would have saved it. And I would have bought it no questions asked and had a new console under the tv that kicked ass and so would millions of others  both new players and old.

 

But listen to how that sounds?

 

Unrealistic and [email protected]#$%[email protected] stupid. Sure it can happen. But not like this.

 

After the great news that this thing has sold like wild fire and pre orders sold out and they unloaded their initial 30,000 or 50,000......

 

Once they come back... they will never leave.  As in the store....where they will sit. We wont be able to keep up with their intended demand. And it should totally be other way around.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, sn8k said:

You are under the impression I want this thing to fail.

Oh, so you still want to talk about it...

 

I'd like to know... Do you play ONLY violent games? Would you refuse to play a game if there is no violence in it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Rowsdower70 said:

This is quite well said.   This aspect coupled with what I feel has been horrible mismanagement is what made me shift my opinion. 

Yeah a majority of that initial video of theirs is incorrect information or completely changed.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Papy said:

Oh, so you still want to talk about it...

 

I'd like to know... Do you play ONLY violent games? Would you refuse to play a game if there is no violence in it?

It certainly helps... im going to say 90% of what I play is violent. Either its guns and explosions, horror, or cutesy  Nintendo stuff with accepted cartoon violence.

 

Or it's sports or racing. 

 

Even when I play 2600......

 

Wizard of Wor is technically violent. So is Double Dragon and Galaga...but to me I dont see it as the end of the world if a kid played those. I just bought Halo 2600, I dont see that as a violent game even though MasterChief shoots aliens.

 

Reactor is the only non violent game I can think of currently.

 

Super Mario Odyssey, Crash, Spyro, Donkey Kong.... are violent games too.. but i feel those are acceptable to all.

 

Earthworm Jim falls into this category as well..... because he shoots dogs, crowes and end level bosses with a pistol.

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find it really hard to think of games that aren't violent in one way or another.... even in 2600 games .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nightstalker is technically violent too. Both new and old. So is Missile Command.....  maybe not in it's design but in concept. Save the cities from nukes going off over them....  

 

Did the city that just got hit and mushroom clouded not really get hit by a missile?

Centipede.... you blast that thing into pieces and shoot spiders and other bugs.

 

 

To me almost everything is technically violent. Whether you stangle hookers and steal their money or don't. Shootiing invading aliens in Space Invaders or Galaga is the same shit. Violence that is acceptable.

 

Hell even in Choplifter you shoot tanks... rescue prisoners on the ground... what happens to the pilot and all the men on board you just saved from a burning building when a Jet shoots you down? The counter for how many guys saved vs how many died is for what then?

Edited by sn8k
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gaming is violent. Period. And it always has been. Not every game is Tetris. The very concept is usually inherently violent even if the pixels are in cute shapes. Mario stomped his enemies and Kirby swallowed his and spit them out as projectiles to harm other enemies.

 

Now Im done. 

 

 

 

Edited by sn8k
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/12/2021 at 11:54 AM, sn8k said:

Gaming is violent. Period.

Reminds me of when "Death Race" caused such an uproar in the 1970s, with concerned parents and advocates calling it "sick and sadistic" cause you had to run over gremlins/beings...all six pixels of them. Decades before the trend of hating on violence in video games with GTA etc. It's always been a topic of controversy.

 

wMULH5B.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/12/2021 at 12:45 PM, sn8k said:

Nightstalker is technically violent too. Both new and old. So is Missile Command.....  maybe not in it's design but in concept. Save the cities from nukes going off over them....  

 

Did the city that just got hit and mushroom clouded not really get hit by a missile?

Centipede.... you blast that thing into pieces and shoot spiders and other bugs.

 

 

To me almost everything is technically violent. Whether you stangle hookers and steal their money or don't. Shootiing invading aliens in Space Invaders or Galaga is the same shit. Violence that is acceptable.

 

Hell even in Choplifter you shoot tanks... rescue prisoners on the ground... what happens to the pilot and all the men on board you just saved from a burning building when a Jet shoots you down? The counter for how many guys saved vs how many died is for what then?

Ahh, ya know, I kinda have to agree with this.  He has a point.  Even cartoon violence is violence, it is just more acceptable because, well it’s a cartoon.  Probably 85% of the games out there have some sort of violence in them.  Sports, puzzle/quiz, some Adventure/HOGs, and board game  genres are probably the exceptions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/12/2021 at 12:54 PM, sn8k said:

Gaming is violent. Period.

You are now using an absurd definition of the word "violent". Since I don't feel writing an essay (that no one would read) on what violence is, let me rephrase my question : do you play only games that can't be classified as E10+? Try to be honest for a minute and answer that question with a "yes" or a "no".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, MattPilz said:

Reminds me of when "Death Race" caused such an uproar in the 1970s, with concerned parents and advocates calling it "sick and sadistic" cause you had to run over gremlins/beings...all six pixels of them. Decades before the trend of hating on violence in video games with GTA etc. It's always been a topic of controversy.

 

wMULH5B.jpg

It's the idea of running over people for fun that was considered violent, not the imagery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Saldo said:

Ahh, ya know, I kinda have to agree with this.  He has a point.  Even cartoon violence is violence, it is just more acceptable because, well it’s a cartoon.  Probably 85% of the games out there have some sort of violence in them.  Sports, puzzle/quiz, some Adventure/HOGs, and board game  genres are probably the exceptions.

Violence is always associated with a psychological impact. If something has no psychological impact, then it isn't violent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Papy said:

You are now using an absurd definition of the word "violent". Since I don't feel writing an essay (that no one would read) on what violence is, let me rephrase my question : do you play only games that can't be classified as E10+? Try to be honest for a minute and answer that question with a "yes" or a "no".

No I am not. Now you're twisting shit to fit your argument. You know Im right and now you don't want to let it go because of how far this has gone.

 

Whats the story of Yars Revenge? What does Michael Myers do to you in Halloween?

 

Ms Galoctopus..... you shoot squid babies.

 

Deepstone Catacomb- slay creatures and beasts, dragons, then the dark lord to save the princess.

 

AquaVenture, you shoot fish only to get the treasure at the bottom.

 

Demon Attack... shooting demons.... on the moon.... to protect Earth...

 

Wizard of Wor... trapped in a wizards space maze...kill him before he wipes out your team.

 

Choplifter.... rescue all the pows... or die trying.... there is a counter that even tells you how many guys have .....DIED IN A HORRIBLE CHOPPER CRASH OR BY OTHER MEANS.

 

Kung Fu Master.... beat the shit out of everyone.... don't die and save your girlfriend.

 

Double Dragon....beat the shit out of everyone....and save your girlfriend.

 

Mario....stomp or shoot everything with fireballs, save the princess who left the castle on her own accord apparently.

 

Sonic... collect the emeralds, save the earth from an evil lunatic. Breaking all of his shit along the way.

 

Missile Command.... save everyone from nuclear annihilation. 

 

Star Raiders.... Hunt down aliens before they blow you or your home base up.

 

Joust.... impale your enemies.... crush them with your giant bird steed... and watch the others drown.

 

Robotron... blow everything the [email protected]#$% up and save humanity. 

 

Berzerk.... do it again but never be able to save yourself.

 

Donkey Kong Country.. a gorilla and a monkey take on an army of reptiles to retrieve their stolen bananas.

 

Moonpatrol..... shoot the curious aliens who are trying to investigate this 4 wheel contraption that is mindlessly blowing all their shit up. Or no sorry... the evil aliens who are trying to impede your murderous progress.

 

Contra... shoot aliens. Save the world.

 

Castlevania- kill dracula. Save the world.

 

Blazing chrome- contra clone

 

Bloodstained- castlevania clone.

 

I can do this for years.

 

The implied themes have always been there.

 

Now let it go. You keep implying that the violence im talking about is GTA level shit or Call of Duty. And its not. Its whats in every [email protected]#$%ing game 99% of the time. It was just easier to see in 8 and 16 bit.

 

Dont tell me no one is going to buy a remake of The Terminator for Amico...or some other franchise....this is not what the console is about apparently... so forget that it will generate sales.

 

Or an Alien VS Predator game of some sort.

 

You know whats not violent at all?

 

Cornhole and Farkle.

 

And that [email protected]#$%!n shit is not going to save intellivision.

 

Intellivision was left in the past for a reason. It took the hopes and dreams of one man to bring it back. Not because it was this wildly popular console that sold like wild fire so its back  by popular demand all of a sudden.

 

I have seen better things than this die horribly.

 

It will do well initially, just like everything does because it's new. Then it will fold harder than a bad hand 2-3 years later......wasted comeback.

 

No intellivision for anyone....

 

 

 

 

Again.

Edited by sn8k
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And if games like Terminator, AVP or Contra start coming out of nowhere after a year or 2......

 

Then I was right. They are worried and had to abandon plan A in favor of B.....mine and the one everyone else is already thinking in their heads but refuse to say because people usually get torn apart around here for having an oppinion.

 

My favorite is being told flat out Im wrong. Like in this case.

 

We have decades of data. And it mostly says games are violent.

 

Even the ones we don't really consider violent because who the [email protected]#$ really thinks Kirby is a violent game or Joust.... but it technically is. You need some form of conflict or something to overcome. Someone or something to defeat because they are trying to kill you.

 

I get they want to go with family skill based games.... but that is seriously not gonna last. Come on. Open your eyes. Nothing they have shown is ground breaking.. its mostly and sadly lame. And that bothers me too. I don't take pride or joy in the fact this thing is already in trouble.

 

I want this thing to dominate. Its cool visually.... It looks lightyears away from doing just that though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of the thirty or so Amico games that they've talked about for launch nearly half of them are violent similar to the examples above.  The only examples that might be an issue are the beatemups.  Otherwise Amico will have plenty of violent games.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Papy said:

Violence is always associated with a psychological impact. If something has no psychological impact, then it isn't violent.

Bullshit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, mr_me said:

Of the thirty or so Amico games that they've talked about for launch nearly half of them are violent similar to the examples above.  The only examples that might be an issue are the beatemups.  Otherwise Amico will have plenty of violent games.

Yes.... and now were talking about what violence actually is.

 

We're beyond what Tommy told me would happen.... but is visually not happening..... Compelling single player games. Not asking for Skyrim..... but some overhead topdown dungeon crawler rpg would be cool.

 

Or some 2.5 D apocalyptic run and gun.

Edited by sn8k

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sn8k said:

You know whats not violent at all?

 

Cornhole and Farkle.

 

 

Could be my southern redneck heritage, but I think I've seen more violence occur from Cornhole than I've seen in Double Dragon. 

 

... I dunno what  "farkle" is, but I'm pretty sure that'd cause some fisticuffs, too, where I'm from.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...