Sign in to follow this  
Bonkey Kong

How would you grade the Amico Launch Library?

34 members have voted

1. 1. How would you grade the Amico Launch Library? POLL

• A - Very Strong, The launch titles look like a great mix and something for everyone
    • B - Good, Some titles look great while other titles do not
    • C - Not bad, see some interesting games but overall just OK
    • D - Bad, expected much better
    • F - Horrible, nothing looks good for me, no way

A decent looking mix of 35 titles slated for launch listed here for your consideration:

ACL Cornhole Sports   October 9, 2021  
Astrosmash Fixed shooter Rogue Rocket Games October 9, 2021  
Back Talk Party* Party   October 9, 2021  
Farkle Tabletop game   October 9, 2021  
Shark! Shark! Action Neobird, Bonus Level Entertainment October 9, 2021  
Skiing Sports Aesir Interactive October 9, 2021  
Battle Tanks Action Lost Mesa Entertainment October 10, 2021  
Biplanes* Action WastedStudios October 10, 2021 Yes
Blank Slate Tabletop game   October 10, 2021  
Bomb Squad Action, puzzle International Headquarters October 10, 2021  
Brain Duel Puzzle BBG Entertainment October 10, 2021 Yes
Care Bears* Educational PlayDate Digital October 10, 2021  
Dynablaster Action BBG Entertainment October 10, 2021  
Emoji Charades Party GameCake October 10, 2021  
Evel Knievel* Action Barnstorm Games October 10, 2021  
Finnigan Fox Platform Bonus Level Entertainment October 10, 2021  
Hot Wheels Colossal Crash (formerly SideSwipers) Action   October 10, 2021  
Liar's Dice Tabletop game The Bitmap Brothers October 10, 2021  
Missile Command Arcade Stainless Games October 10, 2021  
MLB Baseball Sports   October 10, 2021  
Moon Patrol: The Milky Way Chronicles Arcade WastedStudios October 10, 2021  
Nitro Derby Racing Chicken Waffle October 10, 2021  
Pong Action Way Digital Studios October 10, 2021  
Pool & Billiards* Sports Pool Legends IVS October 10, 2021  
Rigid Force Redux Enhanced Shooter (horizontal scrolling) com8com1, Headup October 10, 2021  
Sesame Street Math Fun Educational   October 10, 2021  
Snafoo Action Thera Bytes October 10, 2021  
Spades* Card Concrete Software October 10, 2021

27 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

I'll let you know after I play them.

I’m in this boat too. 

• Like 1

As was mentioned in the Q&A thread, compared to other launches, this is decent library at least in name and on paper. Generally launch libraries are extremely limited and leave a lot to be desired.

• Like 1

I still consider Dreamcast's NA launch library as the greatest ever and my reference to compare against other console launch library.   So if Dreamcast launch gets an A grade then I would say Amico gets about a C.   The variety of launch games for Amico is pretty decent, but its missing a legit killer app title.  

Also, I didn't realize MLB Baseball was going to be a launch game.  Last time I checked the game was still pretty early in development. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, SegaSnatcher said:

I still consider Dreamcast's NA launch library as the greatest ever and my reference to compare against other console launch library.   So if Dreamcast launch gets an A grade then I would say Amico gets about a C.   The variety of launch games for Amico is pretty decent, but its missing a legit killer app title.  

Also, I didn't realize MLB Baseball was going to be a launch game.  Last time I checked the game was still pretty early in development. 

I think it really depends on how you look at the console. If you love the old IPs you will rate it higher. I think if you look at that list and try to compare it to what reminds you of the magic the Wii it is much lower.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, SegaSnatcher said:

Have they ever said they obtained the licensing to use MLB in the baseball game? Genuinely curious. I'd suspect it's incredibly expensive to get such a license AND even moreso since MLB is tightly aligned with MS/Sony with The Show.

I'm wondering if this is a sign of something like the FCC...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Cebus Capucinis said:

Have they ever said they obtained the licensing to use MLB in the baseball game? Genuinely curious. I'd suspect it's incredibly expensive to get such a license AND even moreso since MLB is tightly aligned with MS/Sony with The Show.

I'm wondering if this is a sign of something like the FCC...

Yes they have.

• Like 2

The controller is likely so bad that having good games does not even matter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

It illustrates the schizophrenic messaging and presentation of the whole thing.

Updated versions of old games look pretty decent.  Nothing fancy, but when these kinds of things are done right, they can be a lot of fun.  If what we've seen of them was fleshed out and the system was positioned as and focused on being a nu-retro console, I'd be much more interested.   This part gets a C+.  Of course, it's not being pitched that way, and the rest of the lineup is supposed to be fun-for-the-whole-family, Wii-inspired fare.

This part of the lineup gets a big, fat, neon F.  These games look uniformly bad, and this whole aspect of the thing is very ill-conceived.  I've banged my soon on my highchair about this before, but it bears repeating.  Why do I play bowling on Wii with my kid instead of just bowling?  Because once you get to the bowling alley, rent everyone shoes, pay for your games, get the nachos and drinks and all that, you're talking about $100-ish and my whole afternoon.  There are barriers to entry with bowling, and Golf, and to a lesser extent Tennis and Baseball.

What are the barriers to entry with Cornhole?  None.  Zero.  Nada.  I have two cheap Cornhole sets (not regulation, but neither is the Amico game).  I have more throw-shit-in-the-backyard games than I could ever want, as most people with kids do.  Farkle?  I have tons of dice and pencils and paper already.  Spades?  I have plenty of decks of cards.  What is this crap and what is the point of it?  Hot Wheels and Evil Kneivel et al. look like repackaged cheap ass mobile games that are as uninteresting as they are inoffensive.  I've got a closet full of great, fun board games, and I'm going to have us all sit down to play this stuff for family game night?  No, I am not.

I can't build a damn bowling alley or golf course in my backyard.  I don't have fencing epees lying around the house.  That's what made the Wii enticing on that level.  I'm not a big of the singing/dancing games, but they are worthwhile as an expedient to getting everyone involved with the silly fun at a party, and they're done with style and charm.  This Amico stuff has none of that.  This is the black-and-white, Brand X portion of the infomercial.  It's bad, it cheapens the whole presentation of the thing and makes it look like a grift.

Edited by MrTrust
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I don't recall any of this carnival barking even for the Wii or Wii U. And those are recent consoles. But all of a sudden in the past 6 or 7 years the volume of internet noise around new consoles has grown more than exponentially. It snapped into existence faster than the Big Bang. And none of it is pleasant. No console has lived up to the cacohpony. But thankfully the ruckus is localized. For outside of Atari Age and the occasional tech site it quiets down pretty quick. Contradictory? Maybe. But I'm content with that state of affairs. Easy to tune out. Or barge in from time to time.

And I believe it is more than sufficient to have what we have now. Borderline saturation. Close. PC, XBOX, PS, SWITCH, MOBILE. That's 5 platforms! Count them together with me. 1.. 2.. 3.. 4.. 5.. I can't hear you!!!!!

1 - PC

2 - XBOX

3 - PLAYSTATION

4 - SWITCH

5 - MOBILE

There! That's better. Not sure where Amico would fit in since those 5 platforms cover every genre, every possible classification, and every game imaginable.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Keatah said:

I don't recall any of this carnival barking even for the Wii or Wii U. And those are recent consoles. But all of a sudden in the past 6 or 7 years the volume of internet noise around new consoles has grown more than exponentially. It snapped into existence faster than the Big Bang. And none of it is pleasant. No console has lived up to the cacohpony. But thankfully the ruckus is localized. For outside of Atari Age and the occasional tech site it quiets down pretty quick. Contradictory? Maybe. But I'm content with that state of affairs. Easy to tune out. Or barge in from time to time.

And I believe it is more than sufficient to have what we have now. Borderline saturation. Close. PC, XBOX, PS, SWITCH, MOBILE. That's 5 platforms! Count them together with me. 1.. 2.. 3.. 4.. 5.. I can't hear you!!!!!

1 - PC

2 - XBOX

3 - PLAYSTATION

4 - SWITCH

5 - MOBILE

There! That's better. Not sure where Amico would fit in since those 5 platforms cover every genre, every possible classification, and every game imaginable.

Dude! If you can't imagine the unimaginable it's a lack of imagination.

3 minutes ago, Swami said:

Dude! Lack of imagination.

Look around. The market is covered nicely and completely. Sure some company might fart and clear the area for a while. But it dissipates and things come back to those 5 platforms.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, MrTrust said:

Updated versions of old games look pretty decent.  Nothing fancy, but when these kinds of things are done right, they can be a lot of fun.  If what we've seen of them was fleshed out and the system was positioned as and focused on being a nu-retro console, I'd be much more interested.   This part gets a C+.  Of course, it's not being pitched that way, and the rest of the lineup is supposed to be fun-for-the-whole-family, Wii-inspired fare.

This part of the lineup gets a big, fat, neon F.  These games look uniformly bad, and this whole aspect of the thing is very ill-conceived.  I've banged my soon on my highchair about this before, but it bears repeating.  Why do I play bowling on Wii with my kid instead of just bowling?  Because once you get to the bowling alley, rent everyone shoes, pay for your games, get the nachos and drinks and all that, you're talking about $100-ish and my whole afternoon.  There are barriers to entry with bowling, and Golf, and to a lesser extent Tennis and Baseball.

What are the barriers to entry with Cornhole?  None.  Zero.  Nada.  I have two cheap Cornhole sets (not regulation, but neither is the Amico game).  I have more throw-shit-in-the-backyard games than I could ever want, as most people with kids do.  Farkle?  I have tons of dice and pencils and paper already.  Spades?  I have plenty of decks of cards.  What is this crap and what is the point of it?  Hot Wheels and Evil Kneivel et al. look like repackaged cheap ass mobile games that are as uninteresting as they are inoffensive.  I've got a closet full of great, fun board games, and I'm going to have us all sit down to play this stuff for family game night?  No, I am not.

I can't build a damn bowling alley or golf course in my backyard.  I don't have fencing epees lying around the house.  That's what made the Wii enticing on that level.  I'm not a big of the singing/dancing games, but they are worthwhile as an expedient to getting everyone involved with the silly fun at a party, and they're done with style and charm.  This Amico stuff has none of that.  This is the black-and-white, Brand X portion of the infomercial.  It's bad, it cheapens the whole presentation of the thing and makes it look like a grift.

I agree about the ease of playing Cornhole at home. I find it to be one of the games I'm most interested in but do think a game like Bowling would have been a better choice for the reasons you said.

Farkle I still think is a really weird pack in choice. I see that as the type of game included with other similar type games. It isn't a killer app. When looking at the list of games in the first post I would replace it with Bomb Squad. It seems to be one of the few games that tries to use the controller in unique ways.

However that is not what I would consider a Wii like game. Really Cornhole is the only standout in that list that way. MLB seems to be set up more as a traditional game than as a Wii sports type game.

If they want to hit that Wii chord they needed to lean into pushing those types of games. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Keatah said:

Look around. The market is covered nicely and completely. Sure some company might fart and clear the area for a while. But it dissipates and things come back to those 5 platforms.

Meh. Bring back the Kinect.

• Haha 1

Can't judge the how good the titles are but we can just on the selection of titles and brand

On that note, I think there is a good mix there, some casual titles and some retro inspired titles.  I would say it would be ridiculous to have MLB baseball released at that time. Even if it's finished, may as well keep it on the backburner until the start of the new season (April 2021)

I would also think maybe half that and possibly less should release on launch day, then the rest can release in the launch window (up to Christmas) so we get weekly titles for a while to keep building momentum.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, MrTrust said:

Video game bowling is not the same game as bowling.  It's a variation with a completely different experience.  Who might like bowling video games; people that like bowling.  It's a variation, new experience, of a game they like.  And the same can be said for cornhole, darts, pool, and any other sports type video game.

Why would someone play card games on a computer when they have a deck of cards; ask anyone that plays solitaire on their phone while at home.  And there's lots of convenience and cost savings to having an electronic library of board games.  Who likes board games, apparently millenials do.

And there's no reason a young family can't enjoy the reimagined retro games on Amico.  They're not just remakes with new graphics/sounds, many are being designed for their target markets.

Edited by mr_me

18 minutes ago, mr_me said:

Video game bowling is not the same game as bowling.  It's a variation with a completely different experience.  Who might like bowling video games; people that like bowling.  It's a variation, new experience, of a game they like.  And the same can be said for cornhole, darts, pool, and any other sports type video game.

Why would someone play card games on a computer when they have a deck of cards; ask anyone that plays solitaire on their phone while at home.  And there's lots of convenience and cost savings to having an electronic library of board games.  Who likes board games, apparently millenials do.

And there's no reason a young family can't enjoy the reimagined retro games on Amico.  They're not just remakes with new graphics/sounds, many are being designed for their target markets.

Did they buy that computer to specifically play solitaire? That is a huge difference and an important thing to consider when trying to compare such things. A PC has multiple functions and I would be willing to bet there are not many whose only reason to buying one is solely to play solitaire.

The retro games are not Wii-like. Yeah I think people will enjoy them but you can literally find those retro like games already littered in the existing market. If the casuals aren't flocking to those already slapping the name Astrosmash on it isn't going to magically make them appear. 

Posted (edited)

And Amico doesn't only offer card games either.

Edit:  And if young families start playing Amico Shark Shark and casuals Amico Bomb Squad it won't be because of magic.

Edited by mr_me

9 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

...a game like Bowling would have been a better choice for the reasons you said.

Or how about Shuffleboard?  We haven't got room for a shuffleboard table, and I don't necessarily want to take the whole family out to a bar to play.  If the "trackpad" is really responsive and you have a good physics engine, that could be a good one.  Hell, you could bring back the Sorry! Sliders board game, which is like the tabletop equivalent, add some features that would only be possible in a video game like powerups or something, make it a $5-$10 download, and now you've actually got something that could be built around the controller and make the system a unique proposition.

It's not hard to come up with tons of different ideas for games that A) use the controller in an intuitive way, and B) make sense as a video game.  Other than maybe Billiards, none of these games are that.

9 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

Farkle I still think is a really weird pack in choice. I see that as the type of game included with other similar type games. It isn't a killer app.

Well, the whole point is to be able to show the dice being "thrown" from the controller to the TV and have non-gamers go "oooh" and "aaah".  Tommy literally said something to that effect in that thread I got in the big long debate with him.  Also, a 12 year-old kid with a Vic-20 in 1983 could write a Farkle (or 1,000 or whatever it would have been called at the time) program in an afternoon.  It's the kind of thing teachers assign as homework when you're learning a new programming language.  It's (relatively) cheap and easy padding for the launch/pack-in lineup.  That's precisely what makes those entries so off-putting.

You know what's a fun dice game that someone made a product out of?  Pass the Pigs.  You could just play that with regular dice, but people like the little rubber pigs, and it's a fun enough game.  They're so proud of all their licenses, get that one from Winning Moves Games, put in your different play options that have come with the different retail versions of the game.  Include some cute little animations.  Package it with, say Big Boggle, Guess Who, Rook, and Trouble.  Call it Winning Moves' Family Game Night.  Or pick whatever other game publisher you like.

Point is, those are all games that aren't immediately playable with generic pieces everyone has in a drawer somewhere.  The actual game logic is dirt simple; the whole thing is just the presentation and getting the multiplayer running correctly.  And it's a value even if it were $20-$30 and has advantages.  It's not generic; it has replayability, and I would actually pull that out rather than all those different board games, which are fine, but I don't necessarily want a physical copy lying around the house.  So, again, I'm not hating on the concept itself, but this is just a very poor execution of it, and there's really no excuse for that.

3 minutes ago, mr_me said:

Video game bowling is not the same game as bowling.  It's a variation with a completely different experience.

It is completely different.  It's inferior.  I like Golf.  I like Golf video games.  If I had a 9-hole golf course in my backyard, didn't have to pay greens or cart fees, could bring my own drinks and didn't have to wait on other players and all that, how often would I play a Golf video game?  Answer: Never.  If I had a bowling alley in my garage, how often would I play a bowling video game?  Answer: Never.

19 minutes ago, mr_me said:

And the same can be said for cornhole, darts, pool, and any other sports type video game.

You know what system perfectly replicates the experience of shooting darts with 100%, perfect fidelity?  A fucking dartboard.  What does a dartboard cost, $20?  Everyone who's ever lived through their 20s probably has a dartboard or two lying around the house somewhere.  You might have to hang a fuzzy blanket behind it or something if you're worried about hitting the wall.  Big deal.  Why would I play a video game of that?

Sports video games, yeah.  I play hockey video games because I can't skate backwards for shit and I'm middle-aged and my body can't take it, and even if I wanted to, it's tough to get a bunch of guys together at the same time, in the same place, with all the gear and the open space to play hockey.  Same with many other sports games.  Barriers to entry.  This is simply not true of Cornhole, darts, and spades.

27 minutes ago, mr_me said:

Why would someone play card games on a computer when they have a deck of cards; ask anyone that plays solitaire on their phone while at home.

Key word here being solitaire.  People play solitaire on their computer when they're pretending to work, or their waiting at the doctor's office, or they're killing time at home.  In none of those scenarios is it practical to take up a whole table with a deck of physical cards for a game you're probably going to abandon or save and come back to later.

If I've got 4-5-6 people in my living room for game night, then why not just get the dice or the cards out.  We're not saving this game in progress and coming back to it later, I'm going to be cleaning up at the end of the night anyway, and many hands make light work for picking up the game at the end.  Plus, it's nice to be sitting around the table facing each other when you're playing a game like that, not all facing the same direction staring at a screen.  Again, it's an inferior experience.

32 minutes ago, mr_me said:

And there's lots of convenience and cost savings to having an electronic library of board games.

There can be lots of convenience and cost savings to this.  There isn't lots of convenience or cost savings with the poor lineup of games that's been shown so far.  Say, Settlers of Catan, on Amico for $10?  Sure, that's one you may have trouble finding for a few bucks at a thrift store, and it is one of the pricier mainstream board games, and there are a lot of cards and different pieces you have to keep track of.  So, sure, if there were that particular game in the launch lineup and other like it, you'd have a point here.

But that game is not in the launch lineup.  Nor are there any other games like it.  The point of the exercise here is to assess the actual proposed lineup, not some imagined potential alternative lineup.  I have pointed out here and elsewhere all the things they could to execute any of the concepts well, but the games that we've seen so far don't.  Catan as a video game can be a bargain, Spades as a video game cannot, is not, and never will be.  Simple as.

46 minutes ago, mr_me said:

And there's no reason a young family can't enjoy the reimagined retro games.  They're not just remakes with new graphics/sounds, many are being designed for their target markets.

Fine, so then make it a reimagined retro games console, finish those games, show those games, and develop more along those lines and don't bloat it up with a bunch of shovelware, which currently represents nearly half of the launch lineup, and where do you think we're going from here?

I can't see Breakout and Night Stalker in this line up, and these were the only two Amico games I actually thought could be promising. Everything else is - at best - a middle-of-the-road fare. I'm pretty sure they will play okay, I mean, you'd have to try real hard to break Dynablaster or Moon Patrol's gameplay, but most of these games look utterly bland and uninteresting all the same. And you can find countless equivalents for them on the mobile, console and PC platforms, often better and free (never even mind the retro originals).

But that's okay, because it's my take as a "hardcore" (eyeroll) gamer, and  I'm not the target audience.  In all fairness, they were always honest about this angle, saying they're targeting the "hyper casual" scene (whatever that might be). And we live in crazy times, where electronic escapism is king and gadgets of all sorts are highly sought after.

For that reason this line up, even pedestrian as it is, is not actually as important as it would be with other consoles. The casuals are more than happy to play all kinds of similar games and I'm sure they wouldn't mind doing it on Amico too. It doesn't matter if somebody has a big yard to play Farkle* in and wardrobe full of board games - people simply love using their phones and big TVs, so any excuse to utilise them ahead of the old fuddy-duddy stuff is good.

But, it all again comes back to one of the real issues - the price. 250 USD, plus up to 10 for a game can stop any out-of-focus group mom in her tracks and actually have a little think or two. Especially when little Jason is pulling her towards Xbox and little Mary towards Switch. 250 is not impulse buy territory anymore and it will be interesting to see how it pans out in reality. It also depends on what their realistic sales target is (the one that doesn't mention 3 billion)...

*tbh I'm from Europe and haven't got a clue how do you actually play farkle, so please take it as an analogy,  in case it's a sofa-bound game or something :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1